PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Slot VS Horizontal Slot? Same thing right?

eFertLIS
09-08-2004, 03:55 AM
My guess is that it makes no difference wether the slot is horizontal or vertical. Anyone have more info?

EFFENDI
09-08-2004, 04:02 AM
I assume you are talking about a rectanglular port. In that case, it does not matter.

eFertLIS
09-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Nope...I meant the location of slot port. I meant running horizontal under the woofer or vertical along the side and if that makes any difference.

EFFENDI
09-08-2004, 04:28 AM
As i said before it does not matter, rectangular port=slot port=vented=slot vented=ported. They are all the same thing.

Location does not matter as long as your dimensions (port volume) is correct.

BASS OUTLAW
09-08-2004, 05:39 AM
Location does not matter as long as your dimensions (port volume) is correct. y do spl competitors, built the port facing opposit way from the woofer? :rolleyes:

EFFENDI
09-08-2004, 05:50 AM
We are speaking about the port facing the same direction of the woofer, not another direction. The port's location/orientation on that face of the enclosure, does not matter, as long as all calculations are correct.
BASS OUTLAW: That is news to me, most SPL competitors place the port and subs all facing the same direction. ie. that of the meter/sensor

BASS OUTLAW
09-08-2004, 05:51 AM
no no , am seriouse, some put the port other way , am not bullshittin u or anything, am seriouse

KARLEON
09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
if they are a true competitor, which means they have done lots and lots of testing with their rides/equipment....they may have found out that perticular position works best for them.

So my answer to his question is.....no it does not matter unless you are a hardcore competitor that is trying to squeeze every single DB out of your system. Then in that case, you may want to get a meter and play around with different styles and positions for the port and actually see what hits better for your vehicle/equipment

Moe Lester
09-08-2004, 10:16 PM
We are speaking about the port facing the same direction of the woofer, not another direction. The port's location/orientation on that face of the enclosure, does not matter, as long as all calculations are correct.
BASS OUTLAW: That is news to me, most SPL competitors place the port and subs all facing the same direction. ie. that of the meter/sensor

hmm, i wonder why ive got my port firing towards the rear (away from the sensor) and the sub firiing up (also not at the sensor)

tuning wont be affected by where youve got the port or sub though. different port positions/sub positions react differently in different vehicles. Several people are actually firing a sub up, a sub sideways, and the ports back.

EFFENDI
09-09-2004, 04:54 AM
very true..it does depend on the vehicle..

i should have clarified. i was talking about "wall" installs....

OLD_SCHOOL
09-11-2004, 11:13 PM
www.samedamthing.com as some would say

jellyfish420
09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
hey moe, what good does it do to have your ports on the outside of your box like in you sig???

req
09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
rofl old_school =)

yea. for any average joe, put it however dimension lets you make the port without going in and having to do an L slot. try and keep things simple, and have the shortest port possible, and not have it too small (too small = port noise, kind of like how a wistle works with the little slot in it. we dont want that do we!!)

mine is 1.5x9x13 for 1.2 cubic feet @ 37hz if that helps. roughly keep it 1:8 ratio, and you will be fine i think i read somewhere.

as for direction. this is for more of the SPL competitors like mentioned above. if you want to squeeze .548db from your setup, you are going to be making lots of boxes- and pointing them all over. has to do with cabin gains, sound absorbant materials, reflections- ect.

as said, make the port on the side that is usually deepest so you dont have to make an L internally... much simpler. other than that, face it wherever is practical.

squeak9798
09-12-2004, 01:07 AM
www.samedamthing.com as some would say

Hey ****it, I copied that off of Steve fair and square, you can't use that :mad:

:D

Anyways, just for arguing's sake, I've always heard that each sub should be an equal distance from the port, and atleast a port-width's away from the port. Any comment??

DBfan187
09-12-2004, 01:09 AM
hey moe, what good does it do to have your ports on the outside of your box like in you sig???
CRX box. Subs fire up, ports fire back. Works well with SUV's and CRX's;)(hence, the name)

It decreases the sound of port noise. Mine is like that. I need a cam.:(

jellyfish420
09-12-2004, 01:27 AM
CRX box. Subs fire up, ports fire back. Works well with SUV's and CRX's;)(hence, the name)

It decreases the sound of port noise. Mine is like that. I need a cam.:(
ya i knew subs up, and ports back, but in his pic the ports are on the outside of his box. any reason inparticular? just gain a little box volume? you think that kind of box would work good im my ride?92 hyundai excel 2dr hatchback

DBfan187
09-12-2004, 01:36 AM
just gain a little box volume?BINGO!

you think that kind of box would work good im my ride?92 hyundai excel 2dr hatchback
Never hurts to try. Could be good. Could be worse. Trial & Error.

OLD_SCHOOL
09-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Hey ****it, I copied that off of Steve fair and square, you can't use that :mad:

:D

yeah but i copied you who copied steve