PDA

View Full Version : phantom

jellyfish420
09-05-2004, 12:28 AM
what exactly is a "phantom" center channel? i was riding in my girls van, and when i put my head just right, right in the center between the 2 dash speakers, it sounded like they were singing directly in front of me. there was no delay in the speak that is usually farther away. will putting the speaks in the kick panels do about the same thing for me?

squeak9798
09-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Phantom center channel is exactly what you experienced. Sounds like the music is coming from a speaker directly in front of you, but there is no speaker there. Basically it's just really good imaging.

That is the goal of kickpanels, to equalize pathlengths to get the same effect. Really, it is the goal of every SQ oriented system, regardless of speaker placement.

But it isn't quite as simple as just kickpanels. You can't just through in a pair of kicks in and magically have this perfect center image. It requires a lot of time playing with the aiming of the speakers before you actually build the kicks, and playing with the phasing and killing reflections and other installation related things. Have one of the kicks aimed wrong, and your soundstage will be screwed up. And then you not only have to worry about the center image, but tonality and width and heigth of the soundstage also.

Horns are also very good at this. My horns are just crappily mounted (temporarily) and I get an amazing center image and soundstage from them. That's one of the advantages of horns............