PDA

View Full Version : Better choice for midbass

phrozen5100
09-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I need enough midbass to keep up with two ported Tempests. I either want to get some CDT EF-51cvs and put them in stock locations or a Koda 8 and make a fiberglass enclosure between my seats for it. The Koda would receive 75w and the EF-51cvs would receive 75w a piece. Which option do you guys think would be better? I don't really wanna spend more than $150.00 here either.

squeak9798
09-04-2004, 11:03 PM
As I said in your other post, midbass is in stereo. A single driver in the middle of your car is a very bad idea for midbass.

CarlB
09-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Midbass should be in mono actually.

"To wring out the last bit of negative side effects, the rear speakers should be in mono. This can be done only if you have an external amplifier"

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Thats from an MECP master car audio installer.

squeak9798
09-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Midbass should be in mono actually.

"To wring out the last bit of negative side effects, the rear speakers should be in mono. This can be done only if you have an external amplifier"

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Thats from an MECP master car audio installer.

No, you are misinterpreting what he is saying. He said the rear speakers used for rear fill should be in mono and bandwidth limited, not the main, upfront midbass speakers. This is so they do not interfere as badly with the front speakers creating a proper soundstage. And also note that he says this:

[in 2nd paragraph]
For the reason discussed above, rear speakers of any configuration will interfere with the proper sound stage production and imaging of the front speakers......................................
[in last paragraph]
Your cheapest and simplest solution is not to have ANY rear speakers.

Basically, if you must run rear speakers, run them in mono and bandwidth limited. But he does advise against rear speakers.

Warren G
09-09-2004, 12:40 AM
good info. i guess i wont be buying the cdt cl-6x coaxials for my rears.

"DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, I'll say it again DO NOT buy co-axials or component speakers to use as rear fill since you are going to be wasting a lot of money on the useless tweeter and crossovers"

Warren G
09-09-2004, 12:49 AM
good info. i guess i wont be buying the cdt cl-6x coaxials for my rears.

"DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, I'll say it again DO NOT buy co-axials or component speakers to use as rear fill since you are going to be wasting a lot of money on the useless tweeter and crossovers"

KingMoose
09-09-2004, 01:14 PM
So, if I go with rear fill mid bass speakers running in mono, what is a good choice to fit the factory 5x7 openings? I am just not familiar with mid bass speakers. Looking for something to compliment a single 10' enclosed sub (JL) and my front Boson Aucoustics. I left the rears unplugged. Thanks

Notwerk
09-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Best bet is to just get some raw drivers, and round ones. Any oval speaker (6x9, 5x7, etc.) will tend to distort more. Make an MDF baffle if you can and mount a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 (if it'll fit. Some 5x7 openings will take a 6 1/2) in the baffle. check www.madisound.com for raw drivers. The Peerless CSX might be a good coice. But other options include Vifa, Scan Speak, etc. Don't spend too much money on it. Remember, the ideal is to have no rear fill at all, but if you must, don't put too much into it. Remember to foam up those baffles to prevent them from rattling. Good luck.

squeak9798
09-09-2004, 06:51 PM
So, if I go with rear fill mid bass speakers running in mono, what is a good choice to fit the factory 5x7 openings? I am just not familiar with mid bass speakers. Looking for something to compliment a single 10' enclosed sub (JL) and my front Boson Aucoustics. I left the rears unplugged. Thanks

Forget about them and just leave them unplugged. Adding rear speakers, even in mono and bandpassed, will "add" nothing to your system and is money better spent in other places. If your not happy with your current midbass response, then upgrade the midbasses in the front of your car.