PDA

View Full Version : FM Pre-Emphasis difference euro to US ?

danny_isr
09-03-2004, 05:55 AM
before i'm buying my deck with a euro tuning (and using it in the US). i doscovered the FM Pre-Emphasis issue. does anyone know if this is real problem in quality ?

Thanks Danny

supa_c
09-03-2004, 06:25 AM
ur screwed,
some h/u have the feature to switch it

danny_isr
09-03-2004, 12:05 PM
you sure we talking about the same thing ?

which model you are talking about ?

JimJ
09-03-2004, 02:54 PM
what model are you talking about? :)

FM pre-emphasis (actually on the receiving end you're talking about de-emphasis) is different from the rest of the world and the US as you figured out. In Europe and elsewhere it's 50 microseconds (I can't figure out how to do the little "u" symbol here :)) Here, it's 75 ms. I know it's switchable on the transmit side, so logically it has to be switchable on the receiving side, although I don't know of any head units that do it. Doesn't mean they're not out there, though. Have you just tried it with the different time delay?

The whole point of pre-emphasis is to improve the stereo SNR...even though it's only 200 KHz and the bandwidth ***** anyway.

Although, if you found a lone backwoods one-shack radio station broadcasting in mono FM, you wouldn't need silly de-emphasis at all :)

supa_c
09-03-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't know of any head units that do it. Doesn't mean they're not out there, though.

:)JVC KD-SH55,77,99.
I own the 55, you can switch from u.s to europe, even though its 11.4dBf

danny_isr
09-03-2004, 07:40 PM
i'm looking at Pioneer DEH-P9400MP.

in the manual it's saying :
About this product
The tuner frequencies on this product are allocated
for use in Western Europe, Asia, the
Middle East, Africa and Oceania. Use in other
areas may result in improper reception. The
RDS function operates only in areas with FM
stations broadcasting RDS signals.

i didnt see any switch in the manual that i can change it to US mode..
please advice.

Thanks Danny

Depression
09-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I just got a 9400 on my door step today....YEA ********...but I am sure you can fix that problem..I have a downloaded manual and it's tough to get through (70 pages long)...but PIONEER is the bomb..they would never be that stupid I am sure of it