PDA

View Full Version : are 6x8's that bad?

TwistedMovistar
09-03-2004, 12:42 AM
i have a mustang without the mach audio stuff. it has 6x8's in the rear deck and the doors.

my things is that i am not a real sq freak. i just want more clarity over the factory 6x8's. i was thinking a high end pair of 6x8 all the way around would do the trick.

the pair that i have in mind are the infinity kappa 6x8's

one other thing, i have heard that having subs int the trunk and 6x8's in the trunk that aren't sealed from the presure will not allow the 6x8's to do there job? is this tru?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14940&item=5717726150&rd=1 link to the 6x8's

EFFENDI
09-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Yes you would have to seal the 6"x8"s otherwise you have the very real danger of destroying them due to to the wave pressure. I personally would ignore rear fill, ie. dont bother spending your money on the 6x8s now. Save the money for something else, in a smaller cabin like that of the Mustang, focus on your front stage, leave the 6x8 mounting holes open, but covered with some acoustically transparent material and use it to port your subs into the cabin. Once you have an awesome front stage, you won't need rear fill. I know what you are thinking, "but I need my rear fill" and my response is, "if you want your rear filled, then you have something else not car audio related to worry about!!!"

TwistedMovistar
09-03-2004, 02:09 AM
ok so no rear fill but are the 6x8's bad for front stage?

s5pitfire
09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I still dont see why you wouldnt want rear fill, im about to put some new 6x9s in the back of my car. My stock 6x9s are clearly heard by me, does the mids and puts out a little bass

IgnoreMe
09-03-2004, 11:16 AM
to tell you the truth i thought i needed rear fill. and i always planned to have rear fill in my car but now that i have a frontstage and no rear fill i like it better than i did before. just try it for a while, i bet you will like it too. when i let my speakers play in the back again, it sounded real wierd to me. it just doesnt sound right anymore having rear fill. i am a convert ;)

ANeonRider
09-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Just think of it this way, when you at a concert, do u want to hear the band play behind you? or in front? IMO, the only time u need rear speakers is if you are running 5.1.

req
09-03-2004, 11:58 AM
its just a personal prefrence. i like having rear fill. espically when people are sitting in the back seat, they cant hear it as well. so i blast the back speakers so they will stop whining and trying to talk. =)

ANeonRider
09-03-2004, 12:02 PM
lol, I've had passengers and when I asked them if they had troubles hearing the music, they were shocked when I said I have no rear speakers. :)

IgnoreMe
09-03-2004, 02:17 PM
its just a personal prefrence. i like having rear fill. espically when people are sitting in the back seat, they cant hear it as well. so i blast the back speakers so they will stop whining and trying to talk. =) theres your problem right there. if your subs were playing correctly your passangers wouldnt try talkin they would be struggling to breath :banghead: :wacky:

maylar
09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I hear that JL has (or is comming out with) a nice component series in ovals targeted specifically for upgrading stock Ford vehicles.

EFFENDI
09-03-2004, 03:21 PM
A lot of companies make the 6 x 8 psuedo components....its nothing new. If JL does it, gauranteed it will be twice as expensive as anyone else.

EFFENDI
09-03-2004, 03:30 PM
ok so no rear fill but are the 6x8's bad for front stage?
It depends. It can be argued either way. We cant make the dedision for you without hearing the system. I think you should save the money and spend it upgrading the front stage, try it out for a week or two with no rear speakers. If you dont like it then go ahead and drop the dollars for those Infinities, they look decent to me.

Its perfectly allright to have rear fill, I have rear speakers in my 97 Suburban, only because the distance is quite far from the third row seat to the front of the vehicle, and when there is 8 people in there, the sound doesnt travel well all the way to the back. However like I mentioned before, in your vehicle this is much less of an issue, you more than likely wont be carrying that many passengers, and once you get used to not having rear fill you will never go back to it.

Bottom line, do whatever you like.

squeak9798
09-03-2004, 03:37 PM
I still dont see why you wouldnt want rear fill, im about to put some new 6x9s in the back of my car. My stock 6x9s are clearly heard by me, does the mids and puts out a little bass

Then your front stage isn't strong enough ;) You definitely don't want the music coming from behind you.

dan7532
09-04-2004, 09:18 PM
OK, newbie here; just got into car audio (just started driving not too long ago too). First, I know forums are a great place to learn. Would you guys recommend this as the best car audio forum out there?

Second, I drive a 1994 Mazda 626. Apparently it has 5x7" speakers front and back. I bought the car used and it came with a Pioneer DEH-P545 head unit that I love (interface and buttons are great). But it is no longer available for sale. I have no owner's manual, but am slowly finding out what all of its functions are on my own. For example, is SLP Super Loud Play? What does that do? Crank up the bass and trebble at the same time? And do you know where I can find an online owner's manual? I searched as much as I could and can't find one.

It also has a function that turned off the rear speakers. At first, I didn't realize what it did until I turned around and stuck my head towards the rear of the car and heard the rear speakers were off. I'm guessing this "rear fill" means rear speakers (mine are in a deck). I usually drive by myself. Sometimes with one friend. On the rare occasion that the car is packed, I don't give a sh*t if the rear passengers can hear the music. I've found that sitting the the rear of most cars has the music too loud since the speakers in the deck are right next you your ears. But yeah, I don't care if passengers can hear my music. I only care about making my music sound as good as possible to me.

I am looking for inexpensive speakers to upgrade my factory. I am pretty much satisfied with my factory speakers simply because I haven't heard better. But I hear people talk about how much better aftermarket speakers are, so I'd like to give it a shot. No subs, no amp, I'm cheap. But I know better than to buy crappy speakers just cuz they're cheap.

So you're saying that using my headunit's function of turning off the rears is a good idea? And that instead of spending less than 80 (ideally) on all four speakers, I should just turn off the rears and spend my full investment on the front two speakers.

A few more Qs (sorry, you don't have to answer them all at once, but thanks for any response): My dad and I (17) have no idea how to get to the front speakers without a hacksaw. I have a buddy that's my age that has been working at Circuit City car audio for a short time and has offered to install the speakers for free. How should I get them installed and what speakers do you suggest. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm a descriptive person.

Oh, and you should probably know what music I like. A lot of rap/pop (aren't they the same nowadays?) and a good chunk of classic rock. That's it. And I don't even listen to my stock speakers loud enough for them to distort. I know that they do, but I usually don't turn it that high becuase I like to preserve my hearing. But still loud enough to **** off the parents (of course!!!). So knowing that, are 5x7s really poor at putting out bass? Because I think that with front speakers being hard enough to install, a custom-fit larger speaker would be even more of a pain. But I like my bass. I don't think my stock speakers are too poor on bass, however. But I haven't heard any better, so that's why. I only have the other cars in my family to compare it to. For example, my sisters 92 Ford Taurus can't even spell bass. However my mom's 02 Trailblazer has powerful bass, if a little boomy. I haven't been in my dad's 04 F-150 in a while, but I know the speakers are well-rounded with good bass. Alright, enough rambling, you probably haven't even read half of it anyway. Lemme know what you think.

squeak9798
09-04-2004, 10:07 PM
OK, newbie here; just got into car audio (just started driving not too long ago too). First, I know forums are a great place to learn. Would you guys recommend this as the best car audio forum out there?

There is no "best". Car audio forums are kinda like trying to find a friend; you need to find one that best suits your personality and your preferences. Some are more SQ focused, some are more SPL focused, some have a good mix of both. Quick run down of some other forums to check out:

Elitecaraudio: http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/ (my personal favorite, very SQ oriented)
Soundillusions: http://forum.soundillusions.net/index.php
Carsound: http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi
Sounddomain: http://forum.sounddomain.com/
Termpro: http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
Caraudioforum: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/index.php
SPLbass: http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
12volt: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/

And that's not even half of the "major" forums

Second, I drive a 1994 Mazda 626. Apparently it has 5x7" speakers front and back. I bought the car used and it came with a Pioneer DEH-P545 head unit that I love (interface and buttons are great). But it is no longer available for sale. I have no owner's manual, but am slowly finding out what all of its functions are on my own. For example, is SLP Super Loud Play? What does that do? Crank up the bass and trebble at the same time? And do you know where I can find an online owner's manual? I searched as much as I could and can't find one.

Sorry, can't help you. Your best bet would be to check with your local Pioneer dealer or e-mail/call Pioneer directly

It also has a function that turned off the rear speakers. At first, I didn't realize what it did until I turned around and stuck my head towards the rear of the car and heard the rear speakers were off. I'm guessing this "rear fill" means rear speakers (mine are in a deck). I usually drive by myself. Sometimes with one friend. On the rare occasion that the car is packed, I don't give a sh*t if the rear passengers can hear the music. I've found that sitting the the rear of most cars has the music too loud since the speakers in the deck are right next you your ears. But yeah, I don't care if passengers can hear my music. I only care about making my music sound as good as possible to me.

Yes, those rear speakers are the "rear fill", and are not necessary unless you are doing 5.1 surround sound in your car. Just leave them turned off.

I am looking for inexpensive speakers to upgrade my factory. I am pretty much satisfied with my factory speakers simply because I haven't heard better. But I hear people talk about how much better aftermarket speakers are, so I'd like to give it a shot. No subs, no amp, I'm cheap. But I know better than to buy crappy speakers just cuz they're cheap.

In situations like yours, where you haven't heard much of anything, I think it is always a good idea to hit up all of your local dealers and Best Buy's and Circut City's just to see what all is out there, the sound difference between speakers both between different companies and at different price points, and to get an idea of your own personal tastes.

Amping your speakers is never a bad idea, and you would be amazed at the sound improvements of using an external amp vs running speakers off of a headunit. Just food for thought.

So you're saying that using my headunit's function of turning off the rears is a good idea? And that instead of spending less than 80 (ideally) on all four speakers, I should just turn off the rears and spend my full investment on the front two speakers.

Yes and yes.

A few more Qs (sorry, you don't have to answer them all at once, but thanks for any response): My dad and I (17) have no idea how to get to the front speakers without a hacEksaw. I have a buddy that's my age that has been working at Circuit City car audio for a short time and has offered to install the speakers for free. How should I get them installed and what speakers do you suggest. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm a descriptive person.

If your buddy actually knows what he is doing (most people who work at CC don't, no offense intended), then take him up on that offer.

As for recommendation, see above comment about demo'ing speakers yourself. Sound quality is very subjective. There is a saying in car audio; "Trust your own ears". Basically, don't think something sounds good or will sound good (product wise) just because some guy sitting hundreds of miles away on the other side of your internet connection says so. They may like it, you may not.

Oh, and you should probably know what music I like. A lot of rap/pop (aren't they the same nowadays?) and a good chunk of classic rock. That's it. And I don't even listen to my stock speakers loud enough for them to distort. I know that they do, but I usually don't turn it that high becuase I like to preserve my hearing. But still loud enough to **** off the parents (of course!!!). So knowing that, are 5x7s really poor at putting out bass? Because I think that with front speakers being hard enough to install, a custom-fit larger speaker would be even more of a pain. But I like my bass. I don't think my stock speakers are too poor on bass, however. But I haven't heard any better, so that's why. I only have the other cars in my family to compare it to. For example, my sisters 92 Ford Taurus can't even spell bass. However my mom's 02 Trailblazer has powerful bass, if a little boomy. I haven't been in my dad's 04 F-150 in a while, but I know the speakers are well-rounded with good bass. Alright, enough rambling, you probably haven't even read half of it anyway. Lemme know what you think.

Actually, I read all of it :) (yes, I have no life, I know :( ).

Anyways, don't expect anything "impressive" out of the 5x7 you are looking into getting. They weren't designed to play bass; that's what subs are for. But, again, this falls into the "listen for yourself" category. Find a pair that fits your needs and what you want. But be warned that you will have a pretty hard time finding a pair that excels in the bass category.

dan7532
09-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and doing your best to answer all of my questions. I would of thought I'd have to wait for a day at least.

Ok, I'd like to mention that I have three friends that work at circuit city, so one should be kind enough to let me use his discount. Oh, and I'm worried that all the people at Circuit City are morons too. That's why I was wondering how I should do the install if my dad and I neither have a clue how to get at the front speakers. And I'm not that confident my buddy knows either. He's a newbie at Circuit City. The other two guys I know don't do car audio. My older sister had a boyfriend that did car audio at CC, but I couldn't get any discount from him when I bought a PC surround sound system (=cheap 5.1) for my Xbox. He was a smart guy that I'd trust with my car, but my sis broke up with him a month ago so I don't think he'd install for free.

And my pal at work today informed me that he has a friend at Best Buy that would probably let me use her discount.

And for bass, I like bass, but I understand it's not going to be like subs. I have a total of 5 different sized subs in my house and know what they're like. I'm not looking to rattle my mirrors off (even though it's cool). I don't want to drop the money for subs right now and don't plan to in the future of this car. It has 150,000 miles on it and I don't plan on holding on to it forever. In fact, I sort of like the bass from my stock speakers, even though I listen to the same music at home with a 10" sub. If the bass in my aftermarket speakers is any better than the stock ones, I'd be happy.

And I'm not looking for speakers that play the loudest. I don't play it that loud. I am mostly interested in sound quality.

As for "listening for myself," how do I get to listen to my own music without outside noise without buying the actual speakers? If I walk in to best buy, I have to listen to the speakers with their music playing and with a lot of background noise. How can I properly judge a speaker under those conditions? I need at least to be able to play music that I'm used to listening to. Is that possible? I haven't asked at any stores yet.

As for an amp, my headunit reads "40Wx4." Is that pretty good? Most ones I see only say 30Wx4 or 35Wx4. Since I don't listen to my music loud enough for the factory speakers to distort, would an amp make much of a difference? As far as I know, an amp just prevents distortion and aids in playing music really loud. Is that the case?

squeak9798
09-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Where are the speakers at in your car? Dash or door?

As for listening to your own music; CC or BB probably won't let you. But any local car audio shop should either already have what you would listen to, or let you bring in a disc or two to demo.

dan7532
09-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Oops, I forgot to specify. My rear speakers (wich I probably won't use, learning from this forum) are in a deck behind the rear seats. My front speakers (that you're asking about) are in the doors, in the bottom front corner (nearest the floor and the front of the car). I didn't know they could be in the dash.

I also have small (.5" I think) tweeters in the dash, tucked under the windshield. Should I unplug those or something? And should I put 5x7s in the front doors (same as stock), or should I custom-fit a different-sized speaker that would sound noticably better? And for sub-100 dollar speakers, is it worth the money to do a custom install for (hopefully) better speakers? I would really like to keep the price down. I don't want to take a chunck out of my already-low $6 an hour paycheck. And I definitely don't want to wait for christmas to get the money for speakers (since I'm going to college next year and probably won't be bringing the car with me, thus not enjoying the speaker investment). But if it's REALLY worth saving up money for expensive speakers, I can. However, I'm not interested in a high-end system. I'll get that when I'm out of college and have my own new car that will last a while.

squeak9798
09-04-2004, 10:55 PM
It is simply a matter of pulling off your door panel then. Nothing involved at all. Normally, there are just a few screws you need to pull out. Then you just carefully pop off the door panel with a long screwdriver or borrow a panel popper tool from a friend (if they have one). If you break off some mounting tabs it should be no biggy since your local auto parts store should sell them (Autozone in my area, if you have those). But you can check with them first to be sure.

Not worth the custom mounting IMO since you just want something "better than stock," so to speak. Yes, you should be sure those tweeters up on the dash are unplugged once you get the upgraded speakers.

dan7532
09-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Cool. Thanks a bunch for the help. Now I just have to decide if I could get quality speakers cheaper online or from a buddy at BB or CC that lets me use his/her discount.

squeak9798
09-05-2004, 12:46 AM
I like your avatar.............clods kick *** :)

Anyways, though I rarely suggest buying from an unathorized dealer, you will have more "quality" speakers to choose from by buying on-line.

dan7532
09-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Cool. I knew putting a Savage as my avatar would get another rc'er to show his face. I have an HPI Savage, but have never even seen a clodbuster in real life. I know the truck though.

My sis just told me that she blew a speaker in her taurus. How odd, she wants new speakers the same time I do and I didn't even tell her. She tells me her ex-boyfriend or another friend might get us a discount (they're both experienced car audio guys at CC) and probably will install for free. There's just so many options, it makes me dizzy. If I buy from CC, the choiced are a lot narrower, however.

squeak9798
09-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Being a novice and not looking for anything amazing sound wise, you will more than likely be able to find something from CC that fits your tastes and your budget. Just as an FYI; don't buy Audiobahn.

BTW, we beat the hell out of my buddies clod.......fun times :D Took it like a champ.

dan7532
09-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Dude, I bought the savage simply because it's the most durable nitro monster truck on the market. I dropped in some go-fast parts (mostly a whole new engine) and now it'll go like stink once I finish putting it together. I love this truck.

And my dad has agreed to install the speakers. He was lying before when he said he didn't know how. He did aftermarket speakers on most of his cars when he was in his teens and twenties and knows how to do it. He's just not too excited about getting the door panel off to install my speakers.

I'm going to check with my friend that works in car audio to see if he can get me a deal. If not, I'm ordering online. Having my sis talk to her car audio friend that she rarely talks to seems like I'll never get a deal. It's either my friend's discount or the internet.

One more Q. Can I mount 6x8s in my stock 5x7 mounts? Because every site has 5x7 and 6x8 speakers under the same category. I'm guessing that the speaker size is the same and the 6x8 just has larger mounts. Am I correct?

And if you'd like to comment, here are the speakers that CC says will fit my car:
-Pioneer 6" x 8" 2-Way Speakers
Brand/Model: PIO TSG6840R
-Audiobahn 6" x 8"/5" x 7" 2-Way Speakers
Brand/Model: ADB AS68Q
-Polk 5" x 7"/6" x 8" 2-Way Speaker
Brand/Model: PLK DB570
-Infinity Reference 5” x 7”/6" x 8" 2-Way Speaker
Brand/Model: INI 6802CF
-Alpine 5"x 7"/6" x 8" Type S-Series Coaxial 2-Way Speaker
Brand/Model: APN SPS570A

Acidburn
09-05-2004, 02:41 PM
just say no to Audiobahn

TwistedMovistar
09-09-2004, 10:58 PM
nice hijack:) just playing, you gotta hate being a part of the ford family cause you get 6x8's:( i have decieded to go with the inifinty kappa 572.cf's for my front and stick my front 6x8's (stock) in the back. (the original back 6x8's blew) i am to lazy to fit 6.5 cdt cl-61's in my front. hopefully it will be enough

oh and my personally i love the soft sound of the infiniti's verses the hard sound of pioneers, the infinities sound like making love where the pioneers likes it rough, which in my opinion is what my sub is for.

clarity413
09-12-2004, 12:21 PM
for my ranger setup I have infinity kappa perfect 6.1 (6.5 inch speaker) and infinity kappa 572.5cf in the back. The setup sounds pretty sweet. The highs are wonderful. However, unless you want to spend a few hours modifying your door (bending metal cuting on door trim) I'd suggest not using the 6.1. I love the 6.1 but it was a lot of work to get installed. The 5x7's will fit in the 6x8 hole no problem. The ones I have sound really good :-) The only thing you'll need to do is put a piece of wood to make your door panel flex a little bit so you get about 1/4th inch from the tweeter and the door panel. Even with under 25wrms if you don't do that at certian freqs (~70hz) the cone will pop out and hit the door panel. Pretty ugly sound.

dan7532
09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Good news. So I decided not to gey any aftermarket speakers since my car is ten years old, has 150,000 miles on it and might die at any time. And although the speakers are removable, I don't think my next car would have 5x7s. And after listening to more music, I understand when you say 5x7s make poor bass.

Well my sis has wanted a new headunit for a while for her taurus because it doesn't play CD-Rs very well. Well, my dad just bought her a JVC MP3-compatable one. And he knew I had been talking about speakers for my car. Well, the headunit came with a discount on a pair of speakers, so he picked up the only 5x7s Best Buy carries: "Sony Sony 5" x 7" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) Model: XS-W5721" http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069300196999&skuId=6228879&productCategoryId=cat03075&type=product

Sah-WEET!!! I just got hooked up with free speakers! My dad already installed them in the back, but I'm going to help him move them to the front. He's like, "why put them in the front? That's a lot of work!" But I know they'll sound a lot better if they're in the front doors rather than the rear deck. Half the sound goes into the trunk when they're in the deck. And you can hardly hear the rear speakers when sitting in the front. But the front speakers seem to keep all the noise inside the car and I think that'll be the best spot. And I'll unplug the tiny half-inch stock tweeters that are on top of the dash, tucked under the windshield.

I'm excited. It makes me want to go buy a pair of subs to complement the freebies, but that's expensive. And even though I would love subs, I don't know if it'd be worth buying them now. I know I can take them out when I get a new car, but is the box transferrable? Because the truck size in my 626 is probably different than in every other car. And I'd probably get addicted. With christmas coming up, if I got subs, I'd want to go for the whole audo package. And I don't think anything but the subs will be the right size for any other car. I think I'll just save my car audio money for when I get a different car. Freebies are sweet!

Oh, and now I understand all of my headunit's functions without a manual! The interesting function is FIE which separates the frequencies so that the rear speakers only get lower, bass frequencies. This function is worthless with my stock speakers because the fronts don't sound any different and the rears put out only bass and I can't hear/feel it in the front anyway. It might impress rear passengers, but I imagine that it is designed for bass-designed speakers in the back and mid- to upper-range frequencies in front.