PDA

View Full Version : so we played around on the sensor...

Nikuk
09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
how much can box flex lower your note?? ****it...
so i stopped by the shop and we tryed to find loudest note with this box/install. box is tuned to ~46 (per bbp6 & excel) with alot of port area. Yet we keep peaking out around 38-41.

its 11 cubes, i've got 3/4" thick right triangle braces along the central points of each small face and at each 1/3 of the longer faces (in excess of 20")...
1 1/2" thick divider in the dead middle of the port running the full depth, and 3 1" dowels spanning top to bottom of box (subs firing up with port up) to reinforce the baffle.
Last Idea is to pull subs and double wall all but the bottom of the enclosure... making 1.5" mdf all round with lots of wood glue in between...

right now we're hanging around in the upper 147's but trying to get to 149 before adding power. ugh

Nikuk
09-02-2004, 07:47 PM
oh and

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/7580/DSCN0850.jpg just before throwing in dowels.

4 CV Vega 124's (trying to do 150 cheaply :D )
Used shops MTX 1501 (set to 1500)
got 1/0, did big three.... not many supply problems from 150a stock alt.

Ricktc
09-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Box might be a tad big, try around 8 cubes and all 45 degree angles inside, should notice a considerable gain, and tune to about where you are now. Also check, it might peak at what it is now, and also at somewhere in the high 50s, let the notes keep running on testing and they might start coming back up again.

-Rick

Nikuk
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Box might be a tad big, try around 8 cubes and all 45 degree angles inside, should notice a considerable gain, and tune to about where you are now. Also check, it might peak at what it is now, and also at somewhere in the high 50s, let the notes keep running on testing and they might start coming back up again.

-Rick

yea, only got 45's in the port. tomorrow i'm gonna double up the box and get back on it.
i did expect it to peak high 40's-50, but i never thought about it swinging back up from ~2dB drop... will try it tomorrow. Thanks :cool:

Bumpin' Yota
09-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Put a LARGE 45 degree angle on the backside. On the pic you have posted it should be on the left back side and mirror an equally large angle inthe port.

Your box is also too big - to be honest im surprised you havent torn any suspension components... Knock her down to about 9 cubes. I suspect that even 9 cubes after displacement will be a bit large, but right now the box is dictating the note more than the port...

Nikuk
09-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Put a LARGE 45 degree angle on the backside. On the pic you have posted it should be on the left back side and mirror an equally large angle inthe port.

Your box is also too big - to be honest im surprised you havent torn any suspension components... Knock her down to about 9 cubes. I suspect that even 9 cubes after displacement will be a bit large, but right now the box is dictating the note more than the port...

you know, i suggested that theory of the 45's to someone from a local shop and they laughed it off. So here i am throwing out the "working with waterflow" idea. ****er's.
Yea the box is already out and torn down... we played with it some more and tweaked it. then we started backfilling the thing with more and more bracing and dead fill to the point where it looked like a concrete form w/rebar inside. go to be ridiculous... ah well. on to the next design.

Thanks guys

:toast:

Bumpin' Yota
09-06-2004, 03:20 PM
you know, i suggested that theory of the 45's to someone from a local shop and they laughed it off. So here i am throwing out the "working with waterflow" idea. ****er's.
Yea the box is already out and torn down... we played with it some more and tweaked it. then we started backfilling the thing with more and more bracing and dead fill to the point where it looked like a concrete form w/rebar inside. go to be ridiculous... ah well. on to the next design.

Thanks guys

:toast:

They laughed it off so they wouldn't have to work and they dont know any better but think they do. That is the EXACT reason I don't deal with shops. They think they are infallable and know everything when 99% of them couldn't hang in a discussion of very basic transducer physics....

Nikuk
09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
They laughed it off so they wouldn't have to work and they dont know any better but think they do. That is the EXACT reason I don't deal with shops. They think they are infallable and know everything when 99% of them couldn't hang in a discussion of very basic transducer physics....

LOL, i agree. I started out at the local shops a few years back before i had a good idea of what i was doing. now i still tend to go and visit cause we all venture out once in a while. the guys are nice and they do some trick looking installs. And they still get my alarm & remote start business and what... but as far as legal spl sooo much of it is in the box and install.
They dont get the concept of using an electrical device (the sub) to convert energy to acoustics... you tell them that its all about the physics and they scoff, lol.

Right now I've to do some fiberglassing for my girl's car so this project goes back on hold.

shawnfleming
09-13-2004, 05:42 AM

Now come on Steve. I have worked at a few shops, and can hang with just about anyone in the car audio market, whether it be a consumer, competitor or manufacturer. I have also worked for a manufacturer before too.

P.S. I know Im infallable, and know everything! BIOTCH!!!! :p: