PDA

View Full Version : Combining CDT Fronstage with comps??

Depression
09-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I kind of asked this question a few weeks ago with "diluted" responses and answers......

BASICALLY:

If I have CDT HDs in my doors ...........how do I intergrate thier upstage kits into this sytem..I am confused on the crossover set ups etc..I was planning on 4X6's in the dash powered by H/U but may toss that theory out and replace it with the fronstage kit instead.
I do not know how these upstages "PLAY" into my system set up..do they replace speakers or are they simply an addition??????
The CDT website does a great job selling thier fronstage kits but does not really touch on what applications they are reccomended for or if they might "clash" with any existing speaker set ups....
Can anyone lecture me as to the proper applications for using CDT's upstages!

Thanks

Depression
09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
BUMPED...come on you CDT groupies where are you ?

packerfan
09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Front stage kit? You mean the upstage kit? Read www.cdtaudio.com (http://www.cdtaudio.com) They tell all about it. basicly raises the sound stage with out loosing the 'the lower end' of the stage.

Depression
09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
RIGHT...RIGHT...UPSTAGE...sorry I'm at work sneeking on the computer and wasn't thinking

I know what it does...but do I just THROW THREM IN with my existing set up???Do I eliminate the Tweeters from the comps and ad these...Do I need to amplify them etc...whats the Deal...

zephyr
09-02-2004, 07:23 PM
It's an addition to the existing set. Kinda like their IEK, only with more advance crossover and tuning module. So, you'll have 2 midbass, 2 main tweeters and 2 "ambient" tweeters in the end. I think CDT website pretty much cover everything you need to know about the kit.

supa_c
09-02-2004, 07:25 PM
cant you wait till there installed
sheesh man !

squeak9798
09-02-2004, 07:36 PM
I still don't see how their "kits" are anything more than auxillary tweeters mounted in the A-pillars and crossed over very high. People have been doing that for a long time..........

supa_c
09-02-2004, 07:37 PM
they also have the kits with the attenuator.
its a little different

Depression
09-02-2004, 08:14 PM
NO I CAN'T SUPA C...****..Better yet...... can't I wait till I actually PAYPAL TPLAYA???LOL

EFFENDI
09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm telling you man, you need us to come down and hook all that gear up for you, its a much sadder situation than I realized.....

Depression
09-02-2004, 08:24 PM
I have been warned that if you guys come down I am going to wake up drugged with my booty hurting and all my stereo **** gone and my drugs smoked..LOL

it's coming..I just need a little more $$$ to finish this ******...Mid-September!!!

EFFENDI
09-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Not to worry, we both have better ideas of how to rip you off!!! J/K. Yea def, hit either of us up whenyou need the help.....

squeak9798
09-02-2004, 09:44 PM
they also have the kits with the attenuator.
its a little different

So, they come with an L-pad that you can get for $5 from partsexpress ;)

Depression
09-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Now squeak...don't be a smart ***...LOL

FinalWolf
09-02-2004, 10:17 PM
It's an addition to the existing set. Kinda like their IEK, only with more advance crossover and tuning module. So, you'll have 2 midbass, 2 main tweeters and 2 "ambient" tweeters in the end. I think CDT website pretty much cover everything you need to know about the kit.

Yeah...its actually pretty basic. The xovers you have (Im assuming the 560SAT) come with the "main tweeter" and the "image tweeter" all you do is run wire from where you want your upstages to the image tweeter slot, and somewhere inbetween, add the LP-1 so you can attentuate them as you need to.

Depression
09-02-2004, 11:11 PM
PERFECT...Thank you..only took 2 threads and 5 days..you Bastards..only time I get a decent reply is when someone wants to get into it and Flame me!!!LOL

djdilliodon
09-03-2004, 09:17 PM
well to answer your question, right for that matter lol an upstage is wired different from an iek kit. u DO NOT use image tweeter output on the xover for it! It wires in by the main amp input goes into the upstage xover, then a wire from upstage xover to comps xover then neg hooks up on the upstage module for its tweet and then u have 3 pos inputs to choose which adjust how much output the tweets will have. if u need a wire diagram just email me:)

jellyfish420
09-04-2004, 01:11 PM
i've got a question about that upstage. . . where do the tweets point? in the pic on the cdt site it appears that they point across the windshield? is that correct?

djdilliodon
09-04-2004, 01:17 PM
for best results ear to neck level toward the winshield is best. u can also point them at the listener as well

jellyfish420
09-04-2004, 01:41 PM
oh ok, so you do aim them at/across the windshield. thanx

Depression
09-04-2004, 03:39 PM
well to answer your question, right for that matter lol an upstage is wired different from an iek kit. u DO NOT use image tweeter output on the xover for it! It wires in by the main amp input goes into the upstage xover, then a wire from upstage xover to comps xover then neg hooks up on the upstage module for its tweet and then u have 3 pos inputs to choose which adjust how much output the tweets will have. if u need a wire diagram just email me:)

Excellent..thank you..I knew these things are not just a "plug in and go" thing..I am not saying they are some very intriquit and complicated set up..but I know they are a little diffrent than just throwing tweets in pillars..
THANK YOU FOR A CONCISE ANSWER!!!

djdilliodon
09-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Excellent..thank you..I knew these things are not just a "plug in and go" thing..I am not saying they are some very intriquit and complicated set up..but I know they are a little diffrent than just throwing tweets in pillars..

its a little more involved but the results are worth it after. i have installed a few now and they do just more than lift the sounstage i can tell ya that. the iek just gives u added lift to make up for the main tweets being mounted low

squeak9798
09-04-2004, 10:48 PM

The wiring is a little different since you are "integrating" with the regular CDT xovers, but it is exactly the same thing :) Most people just either go active with the auxillary tweeters or build their own passive network. Again, something you can do with any component set, not just CDTs.

Not being sarcastic. Just pointing out that this isn't something "special" that CDT came up with. People have been doing it for a while. If you really want to get tricky, you can put tweets in your pillars and not power them. Psychoacoustics; Your soundstage will "magically" lift and with no added wiring needed :)