PDA

View Full Version : Intermittence of Bass

Always@8K
08-31-2004, 06:00 PM
I have an Orion h2 15", its loud, but it will kind of cut its bass in half. I have my gain down real low, and i never mess with it. Its almost like it goes in intermittence, at times it will be really loud, like it should be, then it will sound a single 10". Im not sure if its the sub? I had my amp hooked up to some 12"s for awhile and this never occured. Im also curious if maybe its the wiring with my capacitor, but im pretty sure i ran that right? Thanks.

Nikuk
08-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I had my amp hooked up to some 12"s for awhile and this never occured.

was the amp moved around or reinstalled at all? could be a poor ground...
could be the cap not helping, taking current from the system to recharge..
could be loose remote wire (friend of mine fell victim to that during his first dBdrag a while back...)
bunch of stuff.

What have you checked so far?

Always@8K
08-31-2004, 06:34 PM
No man, amp has been there. I made sure there was no paint what so ever any where close to my ground, hmm, my remote seems pretty tight. My cap could be screwing me, i had a feeling it might be. I always let it charge when i turn off my car and turn it on. But when i turn my car on, its when it hits the hardest? It makes sense that its the cap, but im not sure.

Berry47
09-01-2004, 05:38 PM
The cap should take a millisecond to charge. Electrons move really fast.

Nikuk
09-01-2004, 06:45 PM
what kind of amp? i have seen various amps where the gain being turned ALL the way down turns the off....

check the resistance of the cap (long shot) or better yet pull the cap out. see if it helps...

BASS OUTLAW
09-01-2004, 06:47 PM
might be the sub terminals (wiring)

Always@8K
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about this, i might be wrong, what if the amp is not getting enough power? Could i quite possibly be killing my alternator? Im running a distribution block tommarow and hooking up my 2 caps and wiring both my amps into each cap, hopefully it will work. Sub terminals wiring is correct. My voltage reading on my cap is horrific, around 11.7v, im pretty sure if i hook up another cap i might solve this problem. I have a harrison labs 1600w amp, the gain isnt ALL the way down, but its pretty close, and when it is set all the way down the sub is still on. Im not sure, im going to try this tommarow and see if it helps.

Nikuk
09-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I was thinking about this, i might be wrong, what if the amp is not getting enough power? Could i quite possibly be killing my alternator? Im running a distribution block tommarow and hooking up my 2 caps and wiring both my amps into each cap, hopefully it will work. Sub terminals wiring is correct. My voltage reading on my cap is horrific, around 11.7v, im pretty sure if i hook up another cap i might solve this problem. I have a harrison labs 1600w amp, the gain isnt ALL the way down, but its pretty close, and when it is set all the way down the sub is still on. Im not sure, im going to try this tommarow and see if it helps.

i dont think the cap is going to help. it sure wont raise your voltage. if you're getting 11.7VDC into the setup then you are looking at other problems. have you alt & batt checked. autozone (and the like) will usually do it for free.