PDA

View Full Version : HU that won't clip

clarity413
08-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Alright, I'm looking into getting a high end eclipse or pioneer... I'm just going to use the preouts to power an amp so an internal amp is not needed. I'm looking to spend under 600 on it. Anyways, I don't want the HU to clip even with the vol all the way up and the eq's all the way up. I'm very frustrated at my alpine. Anyways, are there any HU's that do that? Thanks!

supa_c
08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
maby you need to turn down the volume.
There is no need to have it full blast EVER.
Alpine makes a h/u with no internal amp

clarity413
08-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Personally I don't listen to my stereo insanely loud. However, it seems everytime I have a friend in the car they want to see how loud the radio can go and turn the knob all the way up without asking. It's really annoying actually. Anyways, I'd like to be able to tune the amps at full vol so I wouldn't haveto worry about people clipping my amp.

supa_c
08-28-2004, 07:50 PM
use the gain setting tutorial in the amp section

clarity413
08-28-2004, 08:02 PM
I did... my HU starts clipping at about 28-30. I tuned it for 27. It's really loud at 27. However, the HU will start clipping at around 22 on some cds if the eq is on so I haveto leave it off... I guess I could tune it for 20 but it sounds good enough if I leave it off. The Alpine I have only has a 2 band eq. Very ******. Anyways, I'd like something that I wouldn't have to worry about clipping.

supa_c
08-28-2004, 08:25 PM
2 band, no wonoder. Its a POS.
Get a highend Eclipse,pioneer,Alpine.

supa_c
08-28-2004, 09:18 PM
even the ones with no internal amp ;)

UndercoverPunk
08-28-2004, 09:41 PM
I have an idea, why don't you kick the **** outta those little bastards for ****ing with YOUR stereo?

have a sticker of this made and put it right under your HU...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/UndercoverPunker/DeathToPassanger.bmp

jtomsic
08-28-2004, 10:01 PM
that would be a sweet sticker, i might print that out.

clarity413
08-29-2004, 02:59 AM
yah, it pisses me off that people **** with my radio. Nice sticker btw. It's weird that companys have HU's that will clip at full volume. It just seems dumb to me. Why give the operator the ability to ruin the equipment easily? Does this annoy anyone else?

supa_c
08-29-2004, 03:01 AM
ever heard of a "Govenor", you need one of those

ShakinSupra
08-29-2004, 03:10 AM
My Nak still sounds decent at full volume, maybe not with the EQs all the way up though. At least I can crank it to full volume just fine without any problem, I don't listen to my system at that level, but I've done it lots of times. People can mess with my settings all they want, I don't care, there's not a whole lot they can do..

clarity413
08-29-2004, 04:42 AM
yah a govenor is exactly what I want... except isn't that just for the speed of the car. Anyways, yah it's very annoying.

JLCivic
08-29-2004, 08:42 AM
yah, it pisses me off that people **** with my radio. Nice sticker btw. It's weird that companys have HU's that will clip at full volume. It just seems dumb to me. Why give the operator the ability to ruin the equipment easily? Does this annoy anyone else?

If you can hear that your speakers are distorting, it is pretty easy to NOT blow them. I am not concerned at all about ruining my equipment.

If you want a brand that, imo, has the most solid pre outs going, top to bottom....get an Eclipse.

KaeZoo
08-29-2004, 09:34 AM

A head unit clips when it's pushed past its maximum clean power output. If you found one that never clipped, chances are that it means you can never reach its maximum output. Why build an amp, then make it so you can't make use of all its available power?

Keep in mind that different sources (like tuner vs CD vs a different CD) have their own different levels. One CD title will sound louder than another on the same equipment. If your head unit won't clip on a "loud" CD, then it won't come close to full output on a quieter one. Much better to be able to turn the volume to the full usable range, and turn it down if you're distorting it.

maylar
08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Pretty much every head unit on the market will clip at full volume ...

With a 0dB input signal, yes. I believe the point of having a volume control that goes higher than needed is to handle European and classical CD's that are often recorded at -10 dB levels. FM radio broadcasts and most commercial pop CD's have very high average levels that'll bring your HU to clipping if you turn them all the way up. If they limited the max output to unclipped levels with 0dB recordings, you'd never get the lower ones to full volume. It's a compromise.