PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get decks with European tuning?

danny_isr
08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I’m looking to buy a new deck, thinking of Pioneer like the DEH-P8MP.
But all of them in the US jumps at 0.2 on the odd numbers and there no way to switch it to 0.1 or 0.05 like on the European models.
I was wondering if anyone knows who sells European models online. Or if anyone here ordered a deck directly from Europe, will be interesting to hear where and how much was it.

Thanks Danny

BASS OUTLAW
08-28-2004, 12:14 AM
i bought deh-p7650mp and it got european tunin, bought it from dealer tho.

danny_isr
08-28-2004, 11:35 AM
no you cannot change it on Pioneer.
i went to local store with a printed page from the euro model of the 960.
and this settings are missing in the local model :(

same thing about Kenwood decks.

i'm just wondering who carries those models that will do it.

Slody4Futbol
08-28-2004, 12:16 PM
alpine 9831 has it i know... because yesterday i was setting up our board at work and hit seek on the 9831 to change stations and it was scanning with four digits and it had odd and even numbers like 93.80... 93.85... 93.90... and stuff

squeak9798
08-28-2004, 12:16 PM
shops in Europe I'd guess.

danny_isr
08-28-2004, 03:37 PM
yep Alpine will do it. But they don't have RDS as far as i know.

i really don't understand why the manufactures even creating this difference ...?

danny_isr
08-28-2004, 03:38 PM
BASS OUTLAW , can you forward me your dealer details.

Thanks Dan

`pr0digy
08-28-2004, 04:35 PM
My Alpine 9815 does euro tuning. danny, what exactly is RDS ?

danny_isr
08-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Radio Data System

Radio Data System, or RDS, is a standard for sending small amounts of digital information over conventional FM radio broadcasts. RDS also standardizes a number of types of information transmitted using the system, including time, station identification and similar information. RDS is widely used in Europe. While an almost-identical system is available in North America, known as RBDS, it is not widely used there.

The following information fields are normally contained in the RDS data - See also (PDF) RDS Features Serving as Tuning Aids:

* AF, Alternate frequencies. This allows a reciever to re-tune to a different frequency providing the same station when the first signal becomes too weak (e.g. when moving out of range)
* CT, Clock Time. Can synchronise a clock in the receiver or the main clock in a car.
* EON, Enhanched Other Networks. Allows the reciever to monitor other stations for Traffic broadcasts.
* PS, Program Service.
* PTY, Program Type. A number of pre-defined music types (e.g. Classics, Pop, Middle of the Road Music) allowing a user to find a similar station.
* REG, Regionale links
* RT, Radio Text, Radiotekst.
* TA, TP, Travel announcements. The reciever can often be set to pay special attention to this flag and e.g stop the tape or retune to recieve a Traffic bulletin.
* TMC, Traffic Message Channel. Demands a RDS-TMC decoder.

Bottom line , you get the NAME of the station instead just a number. Sometimes you get the name of the current song ( if the station transmit this). And it will track the station to other freq. if you travel.

`pr0digy
08-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Radio Data System

Radio Data System, or RDS, is a standard for sending small amounts of digital information over conventional FM radio broadcasts. RDS also standardizes a number of types of information transmitted using the system, including time, station identification and similar information. RDS is widely used in Europe. While an almost-identical system is available in North America, known as RBDS, it is not widely used there.

The following information fields are normally contained in the RDS data - See also (PDF) RDS Features Serving as Tuning Aids:

* AF, Alternate frequencies. This allows a reciever to re-tune to a different frequency providing the same station when the first signal becomes too weak (e.g. when moving out of range)
* CT, Clock Time. Can synchronise a clock in the receiver or the main clock in a car.
* EON, Enhanched Other Networks. Allows the reciever to monitor other stations for Traffic broadcasts.
* PS, Program Service.
* PTY, Program Type. A number of pre-defined music types (e.g. Classics, Pop, Middle of the Road Music) allowing a user to find a similar station.
* REG, Regionale links
* RT, Radio Text, Radiotekst.
* TA, TP, Travel announcements. The reciever can often be set to pay special attention to this flag and e.g stop the tape or retune to recieve a Traffic bulletin.
* TMC, Traffic Message Channel. Demands a RDS-TMC decoder.

Bottom line , you get the NAME of the station instead just a number. Sometimes you get the name of the current song ( if the station transmit this). And it will track the station to other freq. if you travel.

ah, my dad's stock HU in his Impala has that ;) Really isn't all that great IMO, really only provides the stations tagline and sometimes the song name, nothing to write home about.

danny_isr
08-29-2004, 04:31 AM
i guess it's all about your priorities
i prefer to see the song name then some animation on the screen of the deck.
but that's me .... :)

`pr0digy
08-29-2004, 12:59 PM
i guess it's all about your priorities
i prefer to see the song name then some animation on the screen of the deck.
but that's me .... :)

Yeah, it's nifty, but than again, I really don't listen to the radio.... at all... so it isn't a priority :p It can be nice if you listen to the radio, although most of the songs are played over and over anyways :p

JimJ
08-29-2004, 03:34 PM
the FM broadcast band in Japan and Europe is different, as well...goes down further, as they don't have as many low band VHF TV channels...

RDS can be useful, if you want to know the station's callsign and they're one of those "pop/top 40" stations that almost never tell you...very few stations broadcast this info though. A lot more do SCA subcarrier transmissions, which require another box to receive it.