PDA

View Full Version : What shall I purchase? Eclipse 8454? Or Pioneer DEH-p860MP?

BradtallicA
08-27-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you all would be so kind as to tell me which one you would recommend. I van get the Pioneer for $300, or the Eclipse for $480 or maybe cheaper, but the problem is Im skeptical on either decks as ive neve had a pioneer or an eclipse. This deck will eventually be running two 12" 8122 Eclipse woofers with a JL 500/1 amp. And this new deck will be upgrading from a Alpine 7894 deck. Thanks for the input.

-BradtallicA

supa_c
08-27-2004, 02:16 AM
see if you can look at these units at a local car audio shop.
Thats where you should make your decision, but dont but it from them ;)

Norcalracer283
08-27-2004, 03:49 AM
I love both those decks....i prefer the button setup on the pioneer...

JLCivic
08-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Not that the pioneer is a bad deck at all, but I would take the Eclipse(having owned pioneer and 4 eclipses)

LURCH
08-27-2004, 03:17 PM
You Can't go wrong with Eclipse no matter who is in the running..

3.5Max6spd
08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
def try to check one out on display at a local dealer- the Eclipse will amaze you, and no matter what anyone says, its **** ****

iceteebone
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
what about this deck: http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67624

`pr0digy
08-28-2004, 03:39 PM
I'd go with the Eclipse myself, but like the others said, try to test them out before you buy.

adam71
08-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you all would be so kind as to tell me which one you would recommend. I van get the Pioneer for $300, or the Eclipse for $480 or maybe cheaper, but the problem is Im skeptical on either decks as ive neve had a pioneer or an eclipse. This deck will eventually be running two 12" 8122 Eclipse woofers with a JL 500/1 amp. And this new deck will be upgrading from a Alpine 7894 deck. Thanks for the input.

-BradtallicA

Are you talking about the Pioneer Deh-P8600 or the Pioneer(Premier) Deh-P860? There is a difference between the 2, though not a huge one but none the less a difference.

BradtallicA
08-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Not a Typo, thats the correct model number

-BradtallicA

adam71
08-29-2004, 10:57 PM
The reason I ask is that the 860 is a better deck than the 8600. I would take the 860 over the Eclipse but not the 8600.

unrealii
08-30-2004, 12:00 AM
I had my choices down to those two decks as well. I went with eclipse because it had a better warranty and seemed like a better deck. Although it did cost me quite a bit more, I figured it would be worth the investment plus it has a 3 year warranty. Also, I had a pioneer premier rf cd changer crap out on me after 2 years, so I decided to try another company. Both are good units, I would go and try to listen to them on the same sound board and see which you like better.

Bavarian3
08-30-2004, 05:16 AM
eclipse for SQ
Pioneer for SPL

both can do the same very well. Eclipse is a little tougher to get SPL out of than others, as eclipse has features that will have it take the edge in SQ.

supa_c
08-30-2004, 05:17 AM
SQ is oppionated ;)

Bavarian3
08-30-2004, 05:20 AM
SQ is oppionated ;)
u got that right.

denim
08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Not that the pioneer is a bad deck at all, but I would take the Eclipse(having owned pioneer and 4 eclipses)

as usual I agree with perry, the ecplise is just one of the best, I hope to be getting my 8053 within the next week or so

adam71
08-30-2004, 05:04 PM
eclipse for SQ
Pioneer for SPL

both can do the same very well. Eclipse is a little tougher to get SPL out of than others, as eclipse has features that will have it take the edge in SQ.

How can you say a certain deck is better for spl and another is better for SQ??? I mean just because the Premier has a higher pre out voltage doesn't automatically mean its a better spl deck that is also incapable of SQ. The Premier DEH-P860 happens to have a 24bit D/A converter (burr brown) the same type used in Denon units. I would think that would work very well for SQ. I'm not knocking Eclipse at all because they make great decks. In fact I had one once that came with a 3 year warranty, problem is I needed that warranty to be able to send it in 4 times in that time period. Since then Eclipse has gotten better on the reliability side.

All I'm trying to say is there are too many factors other than the deck (such as: amps, speakers, processors) that make a system an SQ system to say that one deck would edge out the other is silly in my opinion. Premier decks have a 13 band eq which helps it with SQ as well.

Again, just my humble opinion.

-Adam :smash:

Bavarian3
08-30-2004, 07:01 PM
How can you say a certain deck is better for spl and another is better for SQ??? I mean just because the Premier has a higher pre out voltage doesn't automatically mean its a better spl deck that is also incapable of SQ. The Premier DEH-P860 happens to have a 24bit D/A converter (burr brown) the same type used in Denon units. I would think that would work very well for SQ. I'm not knocking Eclipse at all because they make great decks. In fact I had one once that came with a 3 year warranty, problem is I needed that warranty to be able to send it in 4 times in that time period. Since then Eclipse has gotten better on the reliability side.

All I'm trying to say is there are too many factors other than the deck (such as: amps, speakers, processors) that make a system an SQ system to say that one deck would edge out the other is silly in my opinion. Premier decks have a 13 band eq which helps it with SQ as well.

Again, just my humble opinion.

-Adam :smash:

read my post carefully, then u wouldnt have posted that. kthxbye

adam71
08-30-2004, 09:34 PM
read my post carefully, then u wouldnt have posted that. kthxbye

Ok then, let me ask a different question. What features does the Eclipse have that would take the edge in SQ over the Pioneer.???? Can you answer that.?? :)

Bavarian3
08-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Ok then, let me ask a different question. What features does the Eclipse have that would take the edge in SQ over the Pioneer.???? Can you answer that.?? :)
Hell with a 8454 u could run a fully active setup, comes with 2 different types of EQ, 8 volt preout with ability for 16volt balanced out (pretty sure the new model has it).....very in-depth time correction controlling, and phase control. This deck is amazing and is great for someone who wants to do a SQ setup, but, as i noticed it is a bit more difficult to get the hard pounding subwoofer bass than with pioneer or alpine decks. And this is why the pioneer would be better for SPL, simply stating a point, as i also stated that both can be great either way. but apparently u failed to read that.

Bavarian3
08-31-2004, 01:38 AM
and just to let u know, ive used many decks including different alpines and pioneers and now use eclipse in my all out SQ setup, there is a reason for that, and i say what i say based on experience, not just defending the brand of product i own like u seem to be doing.

Randy Savage
08-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Anyone going for a true SQ setup will urinate on the on-board processing and use external units anyways :)

3.5Max6spd
08-31-2004, 12:06 PM

8v outs, low impedance output of 55ohms- exeptional signal transfer

adam71
08-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Anyone going for a true SQ setup will urinate on the on-board processing and use external units anyways :)

Thank you NOVA. Try explaining that to bavarian.

adam71
08-31-2004, 03:59 PM
8v outs, low impedance output of 55ohms- exeptional signal transfer

Just so you know the 8 volts is peak not constant.

adam71
08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
and just to let u know, ive used many decks including different alpines and pioneers and now use eclipse in my all out SQ setup, there is a reason for that, and i say what i say based on experience, not just defending the brand of product i own like u seem to be doing.

I'm sure you have used alot of decks in your day. I'm also sure you're speaking from experience but you said in the other thread that you have "the best deck" did you not?? Thats defending the brand you use like you accuse me of doing. I'm not trying to defend Pioneer either I was merely stating that Pioneer has some good decks too.

Just one quick side note: with my DEH-P860 I can also run an ALL active sytem with time alignment. I just chose not to at this time because I would need another amp and adding a 5th amp would mean changing my entire trunk around and that isn't happening anytime soon.

-Adam

3.5Max6spd
08-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Just so you know the 8 volts is peak not constant.

I'm not a newb- I knew that- and its the case with every other headunit- voltage is incremental with volume- your point?

adam71
08-31-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm not a newb- I knew that- and its the case with every other headunit- voltage is incremental with volume- your point?

Sorry man, I meant to add more to that and when I tried to delete it all together I couldn't.

-Adam :uhoh:

BradtallicA
09-02-2004, 01:10 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know i appreciated the feedback from everyone and my decision is the Eclispse 8454 and im having it installed in the morning! This descision was based on a head to head compaison at my local radio shop that had them setup in the same room, the eclispse just blew the pioneer straight out of the water with straight deck sound quality and features. Again, thanks eveyone!

-BradtallicA

unrealii
09-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Congrats on the deck. I love my 8454 :inlove:

IkeTurner
09-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I have had the Eclipse 8454 for a few months. I mean really is there anything this HU can't do! I upgraded from a Panasonic flagship model. It was a few years old but had 5volt Fnt,Rr,Sub outputs, great deck. The 8454 was a dramatic improvement from the moment I turned it on. All my CD's had new life and detail. This was before any tuning!

Now running fully active, and it's a audiophiles wet dream. This deck will allow you to expand your system with a breeze. 4-way active network 6, 12, 18, 24db slope selectable, 6ch gain control, time-align., to name a few. E-iserv has been a major advantage in the tuning department. I know the Pioneer probably has similar on deck options. But they don't have E-iserv. If you don't know about it FIND OUT!!!! I started with the 5444, loved it!!! But the 8454 destroyed it in all phases.

Paid over $700 after taxes and 5444's restock fee, and it was worth EVERY penny. This is the most I have ever spent on a single piece of equipment. My wife was pissed to say the least. Still it was the smartest choice I ever made in car audio. I know the HU will never be the weak link.

I cant speak on your other choice, never used it.