PDA

View Full Version : front stage

jellyfish420
08-26-2004, 10:53 PM
everyone on here talks so highly of a "properly imaged front stage" what is that? i know its more that just your front speakers, isn't it?could i maybe get some examples of your guys. thanx.

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 01:25 AM
A properly imaged front stage actually has nothing to do with the speakers (well, not directly atleast, the term "imaging" and "soundstage" aren't referring to your speakers).

A properly imaged front stage is having the sound coming from the proper areas of the soundstage. For example, the lead singer should sound like he is standing in the middle of your dash. The guitarist maybe should sound like he is standing in front of the drivers seat, and it should sound like the bassist is standing in front of the passenger seat, etc etc. Now mind you, that is just an example of maybe how one song is supposed to sound.

The sound shouldn't sound like it is coming from the speakers (i.e., if you have speakers in your door, the music should not sound like it is coming from the doors). It should sound like it is above your dash (or even out over your hood), and it should extend from the driver's side A-pillar to the passanger side A-pillar (or even past those if you are really good), and should be close to eye level. That is the "soundstage's" depth, width and heigth. And in each individual song, each instrument should sound like it is coming from a particular place on that soundstage (which is called the "image", or "imaging").

Speaker placement and aiming, phasing and other things related to the tuning all effect where the soundstage and imaging are.

Some setup discs (like the IASCA setup disc) have tracks that allow you to test your imaging, and have manuals that explain how the soundstage should be for that particular track and where each instrument should be imaged. Also, some have a voice that speaks and says stuff like "This voice should be coming from the middle of the soundstage" to allow you to test your imaging and soundstage.

That is chapter one of my novel :D Clear as mud now??

supa_c
08-27-2004, 01:31 AM
ever use the THX Optimzer on a DVD, its like the same thing as the iasca stuff.

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
Actually, I was going to mention this but forgot............about the best way to learn to listen for proper soundstaging and imaging is to listen to a good home audio setup. Not the RCA crap on the shelves at walmart, but a true home audio system. It will blow your mind!! It actually sounds like you are at the concert :) A really good one will sound like it has a center channel playing (when it really doesn't).

supa_c
08-27-2004, 01:36 AM
"phantom" is what they call it.
Its to bad most car audio shops dont really have the proper listening enviroment that resembles a vehicle interior

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 01:42 AM
:D :D :D One near me does :D :D :D

Instead of a single display board with all the speakers crapily installed, they have 5 or 6 small rooms (like 8' x 6' at most) with seats and **** like a car.

And for the home audio section, they built a house into the store. It's ****ing ******! It has a kitchen, family room with fireplace, living room, bathrooms, etc etc. For example, the fridge in the kitchen has an LCD screen and that you can surf the web and **** from :eek:

supa_c
08-27-2004, 01:44 AM
:D :D :D One near me does :D :D :D

Instead of a single display board with all the speakers crapily installed, they have 5 or 6 small rooms (like 8' x 6' at most) with seats and **** like a car.

And for the home audio section, they built a house into the store. It's ****ing ******! It has a kitchen, family room with fireplace, living room, bathrooms, etc etc. For example, the fridge in the kitchen has an LCD screen and that you can surf the web and **** from :eek:spoiled punk!
i wish the car audio shops near me did that, but there way to stuck up with all their RF,Kicker,JL,Alpine stuff

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Actually that shop just opened last week. Up till then all we had were crappy-*** stereo shops.

supa_c
08-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Actually that shop just opened last week. Up till then all we had were crappy-*** stereo shops.i have 4 of those, telling me brahmas are worse than PG's, that my HK-4000D is crap.
There is no honest shop owners employees where i live.
*hijacked

jellyfish420
08-27-2004, 02:49 PM
well i am getting either 5.25 or 6.5 cdt coaxils from tplaya for the back of my ride, but what your telling me, is it'll sound better if i get rid of all my speakers and put them (cdt) in the kick panels?

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
It doesn't *have* to be kickpanels. You can usually do pretty good from stock door locations. But putting your best speakers in rear is a really bad idea. Your goal should be to have (or atleast hear) no music coming from the rear.......that's why rear fill is usually looked down upon.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about kickpanels until you moved up to an amplified component set

jellyfish420
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
currently they are 3.5 in the dash. and they ****!!!!!!!!!1

squeak9798
08-27-2004, 06:30 PM
I bet they'd fit in your door :up2somet: Might have to do a little cutting, but they'd fit.

Depression
08-27-2004, 06:39 PM
"phantom" is what they call it.
Its to bad most car audio shops dont really have the proper listening enviroment that resembles a vehicle interior

VERY VERY TRUE!!! Always something I hated..Those Plexiglass rooms don't cut it!