PDA

View Full Version : Help, can you seal a punctured speaker?

luke32303
08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I am probably screwed, but is there anyway to seal a subwoofer where the butyl poly part has been punctured. My jack%$#& friend put a hole through one of my phoenix gold xenon 12 subs. Puncture is probably about an inch in length. Thanks for any help.

squeak9798
08-26-2004, 11:49 AM
You can try silicone. Squirt some on the backside of the surround, and don't play the sub till it completely dries.

Not as good as new, but it may work for a while.

ANeonRider
08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Make that friend buy you a new one, beat it out of him if you have to. True, silicon will work, but that is adding mass that the sub is not designed for. But it is a fix I guess.

`pr0digy
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
x2 to beating the shiet out of your friend....

Norcalracer283
08-27-2004, 01:51 PM
First you do the silicone. If that doesnt satisfy you, or the sub...make him buy you a new one. Simple as that.

VisionxOrb
08-29-2004, 04:24 AM
First you do the silicone. If that doesnt satisfy you, or the sub...make him buy you a new one. Simple as that.

Silicon is kinda weak. go to ur local pepboys ect ect and get a tube of permatex weatherstip adheasive ( aka in the mechanic world as gorilla snot ) that Sh1t rocks

req
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
i would take a piece of fabric or somthing, and lay it on the back of the surround, soak it in that gorrilla snot crap, and it would be like one of those 'iron on patches' but no iron and its for a sub.

themainjam
08-29-2004, 01:44 PM
i pierced my kicker sub about a year ago and put a tiny bit of silicone on it and it has held up and i play my stereo at high volumes all the time in a sealed enclosure.

hopefully it works otherwise can you get it reconed?

DJ Riggz
08-30-2004, 12:47 AM
I've repaired my 12" sub that had a 1" cut in the rubber surround. i used some heavy duty black silicon to repair it and it works just fine in a sealed enclosure

Nukedsodapop
08-30-2004, 12:54 AM
but what about a foam surround......i have about a half inch tear in one of my 6"s

DJ Riggz
08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
I've heard of speaker repair kits for foam surrounds. see what a google search comes up with.

astrallink
08-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I've done it on midbasses, I imagine it'd work on a 12" also. Tissue and clear-coat fingernail polish. Lay down a layer of facial tissue over the slit and 'glue' it down with a good coating of fingernail polish. Since it's a 12", I'd probably do on top and bottom. I don't know why facial tissue, that's just what the person told me, and after giving them weird looks I tried it and it worked.

nadir
09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
what about just regular coax / component speakers? If they're torn / "blown" , can they be repaired w/ silicone?

BASS OUTLAW
09-01-2004, 10:23 PM
i used normal TAPE, but its not the transparent one, it looks like its made of paper,i doubled it many times, and it worked , cause it didnt add mass to the cone. (its kind of paper)
and i actually sold the sub for one of my friends,
and yet he is happy with it.
it was a pioneer (free-air series)

mbacis
09-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Just curious, but there are a lot of recommendations to use silicone, however everyobody says when using silicone in a box you need to wait until it cures before you introduce your woofer due to the possibility of the fumes eating away at your surround. Wouldn't you not want to patch a cone with silicone for this same reason?