PDA

View Full Version : imaging

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 02:15 PM
this is one area i don't know how to set properly, is there any tips / tricks anyone will share to help me, currently i have 2-4" on the front dash pointing up at the windshield, 2- 4x6 in the rear pointin at eachother straight across the back seat, 2 6.5's in the front on the floor on the transmission hump angled at each passenger pointing at there head, and the tweeterss are up high on the A and B pilar- the problem is you move your head slightly and it sounds completely different, and the 6.5's don't seem to be heard at all. 4" are clarions rear 4x6's are jbl and 6.5's are mbquart rce 216

Depression
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Interesting. I have a thread going about my 92 GMC SIERRA regarding imaging.
I have been looking into the whole stock location and seperates issue for years. I had discovered "personally" that Seperates in the doors /apillars with front dash speakers only (no rear) created the best all around sound. I am getting CDT components now and think this will be even better. I like the way your set up sounds..But just my opinion is that it seems like all those speakers are "fighting" for your ears..once you move..the other one wins, creating a confusing and chaotic sound stage. Get them to work in concert together and you win..but I think those rears have to go..but just my opinion with almost an identical set up as you?I found more speakers are not "better" speakers in my 1/2 ton
Lets see what others say??

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Ya, the rears are my only speakers on the deck so its easy to turn the deck amp on/off. do you have any pics of your set-up?? im trying to shrink some pics right now to put on hear, what do you have for subs? i spent forever trying to make 2 subs fit, you'll see in the pic

Depression
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Well..Right now I am going to go with the PRO BOXX For Extended cabs..It is basically A custom MDF box with a hardened fiberglass shell, they are very durable and impress me alot. about $175 unloaded They have a Front fire version, and downfire version..both for 10" and 12" subs. .075 Airspace on the 10 box and 0.85 with the 12's..Depth is only 5.50 on 10 box and 6.00 on the 12 (this was initially an issue for me). I have the 2 12" downfires.
Alot of guys on here "BASH" these boxes for being too pricey for too little..I may add they do not own trucks though either. I may also add these boxes look clean..fit perfect..they even have a recessed section for the back seat handle to fit nice..NICEST TRUCK BOXES I HAVE EVER SEEN PRE-MADE!!
The guy I always talk to is named RICHARD..He has owned Valley Car Stereo in Los angeles for 30 years. About 70% of all the systems he does are in trucks (Dually's. regular, Ext cab..etc).. and I trust him alot..He has sold me stuff that made him "less" money..just to gaurentee I have the best sound. He is the one who showed me his Dually with 4x6 in dash(run off Head unit)..5.25's in doors 2 12" in bed of truck...and that was all...It sounds AMAZING!!!!!!
He does not hate the 4X6 rears (although they are a nightmare to install I hear)..just says you can go overboard in trucks like ours..we have a small area so we don't need immense speaker set ups..just good ones.
He suggested everything I have accept which brand to use...HE HAS COME THROUGH FOR ME..
I will try to get picks

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 03:15 PM
i hope these work, ignore blue wire as i haven't had time to run it yet, i built the box myself, first one, it took alot of time, yes the rearseat release is still there. As you said rear speakers are hell to change, especially in cold weather that plastic is so brittle. Yes i know, who the hell makes a checkerplate speaker box, but i did and oh well, it was fun to make

ANeonRider
08-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Never ever put speakers in the middle of the vehicle unless it is a center channel for a 5.1, or a sub. No wonder you are having imaging issues.

zephyr
08-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Never ever put speakers in the middle of the vehicle unless it is a center channel for a 5.1, or a sub. No wonder you are having imaging issues.
Yup, that is a big mistake if you are concern about imaging. Stereo setup always have speakers in your front left and right, not just in front of you.

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
wish i knew that earlier, oh well its still easy to move

Depression
08-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Yea.. I have heard that about center channels..I missed that. big NO NO
I initially was going to get an install at Circuit city when I first got my truck (I WAS 20)
They required that I sign a release claiming any damage done to the rear pillars was not thier fault" because of cracking!!!

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
would you happen to know of anywhere that sells kick panels that will hold mbquart rce 216 6.5"s ??? for this truck i don't want to make them as i will have no time till next year. if you do please let me know

ANeonRider
08-25-2004, 03:46 PM
There is probably some QLogic Pods for your truck. Look at www.crutchfield.com

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 04:02 PM
just for 5.25's oh well

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 05:48 PM
It sounds to me like you just have way too much speaker action going on in your truck. Plus, like mentioned, it's not a good idea to have the two 6.5s in the middle of the truck.

Are the 4s and 6.5s just mids, or are they co-axials?

94gmsierra
08-25-2004, 06:40 PM
there mids the tweeters are in the pillars

Depression
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
I agree with Squeak..go for less speakers..better quality/power though.
NOPE!!!! Unless you make custom kick panel pods no one makes 6.5 kicks
I HAVE LOOKED FOR YEARS....
some say Modify the Q-forms..But Q-logic told me it is not possible uck with 5.25'sto do.
Unless I cut the doors I am stuck with 5.25's..but others have shown me the light...5.25's are ALL GOOD ANYWAYS!!!

Funkbeatmaster
08-25-2004, 07:54 PM
My 96 Dually has essentially the same set up as DEPRESSION..It sounds great.
I suggest you lose some of those speakers and thin out the system
Sounds silly but SQ will increase dramatically with NICE 5.25 seperates in doors/kicks..maybe 4x6 in dash and rear and thats it!!

Also I may get crap for this but 2 10's sound better than 2 12's in Extended Cab Trucks for some odd reason!