PDA

View Full Version : Will coaxials screw up my CDT's sound?

Depression
08-25-2004, 02:22 AM
I am getting CDT HD52's........ From what I have read and heard the dispersion of sound from these babies will fill my ride with audio pleasure, Even on the CDT site they tout the benefits of thier HD series in eliminating the "confusion" of too many Speakers.
Thats my problem....My systems plan has always called for POLK 4X6 in the dash of my truck..this is a great spot for speakers and every Truck system that I have heard and loved has utilized the front dash spots especially when combined with High end components in the doors. YET..I have never heard the sound quality in a Truck with Dash speakers combined with the CDT High Def components.
Getting Polks seems to fly in the face of what I am going to achieve with these HD52's..but I really want to use the front locations with POLKS?
ANY ADVICE????
Do ya think coaxials in the Dash is gonna screw up CDT's sound Dispersion claims?

packerfan
08-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Only one way to tell, try it out. CDT coaxials are cheap as hell as it is.

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 09:49 AM
I guess I don't really understand what you are trying to say about the "dispersion"........all coned speakers are going to have that dispersion. The HD's aren't special in that sense.

As for the Polk's/CDT co-axials in the dash.......I wouldn't do it personally, but if you want to then go for it. But they'll cause some serious level matching and phasing issues....which is counterproductive. You run the very high risk of having an "echo" effect with them also. They'll have two different sounds and frequency responses that may not work well together. Plus, having a speaker reflect off of something (i.e. the windshield) is less than ideal in most circumstances.

IMO the only reason why you should have speakers up there when running a component set in the doors/kicks is to help raise the soundstage. It would be a better option to go with the CDT image enhancement kit, or run some other tweeter up by the A-pillar with a very high crossover point (6khz+). It would be an even better option to spend time aiming and tuning the single component set to get a nice high and wide soundstage without any additional speakers.

Depression
08-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Okay..well Squeak..you kind of answered my questions...KIND OF...Because I was under the Impression the HD CDT kinda already incorporated the Imaging kits deal???
I gotta go back to thier site and get my **** together..but basically I think the HD's already have the Feature your talking about?
I agree on face Value..DO NOT DO THE 4X6's..But I am not comfortable with NO! other speakers than just 5.25's...and Like I said..from what I have heard..The Dash locations on this truck is a "rare" scenario regarding imaging in a good way.
If these where not the CDT's...NO DOUBT I WOULD RUN THE 4X6's..I just was under the impression the CDT's eliminated any need for dash speakers because of thier unique imaging and phasing features. I don't wanna screw up a good thing. But if your saying the HD's are essentially the same as every other brand in these factors..I run the 4X6's for added imaging.

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
I just was under the impression the CDT's eliminated any need for dash speakers because of thier unique imaging and phasing features

There is nothing unique about them. They do exactly what all other speakers do, and all other speakers do exactly what the HD's do. The only "unique" thing about them is the IEK....which is nothing more than an auxillary tweeter. You can accomplish the same thing by adding another tweeter to any component set.

If you want wide dispersion, check out dome mids ;)

Depression
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
OKAY if you say so......

3.5Max6spd
08-25-2004, 04:32 PM
If you must run the 4x6's try not amping them, run off your radio and fade low so that they are there for some type of fill- although being in the dash in front of you might not be greatest idea

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
OKAY if you say so......

Was that serious or sarcastic? :)

Depression
08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Kind of both..I was just saying "well if your sure I guess it's okay"
YOU HELP ME OUT ALOT SQUEAK.... I WOULDN'T TALK **** TO YOU BRO.

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Kind of both..I was just saying "well if your sure I guess it's okay"
YOU HELP ME OUT ALOT SQUEAK.... I WOULDN'T TALK **** TO YOU BRO.

I would never suspect you of talkin' **** :) I was just curious if you needed a further explaination or not......just wanted to be sure you understood and weren't just giving up and agreeing with me so that I'd shut up and stop pestering you

Depression
08-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey..you give me the most detailed responses without any bias on this forum.And like I said before..I called the Manufacturers on 2 occasions with questions and both times they gave me answers exactly the same as you did on here.
So let others talk **** and beat thier drums..You know your ****..wether I agree or not!