PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FearZeus
08-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Noob here (to the forum that is) as for Hifi I am a very clued up and switched on audiophile ;)

The problem is, I'm after a new head unit for my civic type R ( i mention the car only for reasons such as the hard ride, bumps etc will affect disc jumping)

I have narrowed the head units down to a few here they are....

1) Nakamichi cd 700II
2) Alpine cda 9835r
3) Alpine 7998r

Now, I was after these units also but apparently my dealer ca't get hold of them quick enuff :(

1) eclipse (if anyone knows of a uk dealer pls let me know, baring in mind my dealer has my cash already, so they must be the buyer, this applies to any unit that I purchase, the reason? coz I bought a pioneer avic-1x and don't think the sound quality will be there when I put my speaker and amps in the car so I am exchanging it hence my dealer will be doing the purchase)

2) mcintosh ( same again, is there a uk dealer?)

Now to aid you guys in aiding me ;) the fun part eheh....

I want your opinions based on these factors in order ascending order...

1) sound quality ( this is what it's all about right ;) )
2) reliability ( lets face it, it's no good having the donkeys bollox if it breaks)
3) looks
4) features

Price I have in mind is between £400 and £1300 english pounds. The H/U must come from the UK

Thx in advance guys, I really appreciate your comments and advice

P.S I must make an order tomorrow at the latest due to the fact that my original H/U (pioneer avic-x1) must go back

Your comments are also welcome regarding the avic-1x being a capable performer if anyone knows pls let me know guys thx

FearZeus
08-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Here a few more head units I will also consider....

4) Denon DCT-100 FM/AM CD Player
5) Panasonic CQ-TX5500D Vacuum Tube CD Reciever
6) Alpine MDA-W988J MP3/WMA/NetMD corresponding CD/MD receiver

All double din units.... I have very little knowledge on these 3 however

Funkbeatmaster
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Personally I like the ALPINE choices of yours..Many here would suggest a Pioneer but I see it's not on your list. Many of those H/U's are very similiar
The Dennon and Nakamichi are somewhat "step childen" in the Car Stereo dept.
I guess I suggest the Alpines yet cannot pick one from the litter

FearZeus
08-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Thank,

For you opinion funkmaster, I personally think I'll go with the nakamichi cd 700II. I like the alpines myself too but I feel simplicity is the way to go for me, and the nakamichi seems to fit the bill, it's expensive but I hear it's worth it's weight in gold to an audiophile ;)

Still waiting for constuctive opinions however...

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Here's an idea; Ever thought of going with a transport only headunit and running it with an external DAC?

FearZeus
08-25-2004, 04:44 PM
cross that,

The nakamichi head unit is a seperate dac ;)