PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fill

Chris02NeonSXT
08-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I have a set of cdt braxials on the way for my front doors, but was wondering what I should do about the rear. I'm debating whether to go with a set of comps or just a midbass speaker. I'm also debating whether I should amp the rear speakers or just leave them running off of the head unit. I've also got a 12" ID v3 in the trunk. What would be my best bet for rear fill? and should I amp them or not?

Thanks,
Chris

ANeonRider
08-23-2004, 05:13 PM
rear fill IMO is pretty useless as long as you have a well imaged front stage.

supa_c
08-23-2004, 05:15 PM
if you have speakers hooked up with power than just leave it.
as neonrider posted rear fill isnt necessary. Braxials are good enough ;)

Chris02NeonSXT
08-23-2004, 05:19 PM
I don't have any speakers hooked up :)

supa_c
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
"foget abaout it"

96greencivic
08-23-2004, 11:35 PM
if you have speakers hooked up with power than just leave it.
as neonrider posted rear fill isnt necessary. Braxials are good enough ;)
I have'em in. I just installed them today. I'm just gonna run them off the HU. The amp will power the sub and front components. Although I don't really need them, I hate knowing that I have old OEM speakers in when I just took the time to install all new stuff. I think a little rear fill is a good thing. BTW, changing 6X9's in a Civic coupe is a pain in the ***.

sungwei
08-23-2004, 11:51 PM
I have'em in. I just installed them today. I'm just gonna run them off the HU. The amp will power the sub and front components. Although I don't really need them, I hate knowing that I have old OEM speakers in when I just took the time to install all new stuff. I think a little rear fill is a good thing. BTW, changing 6X9's in a Civic coupe is a pain in the ***.

Who knows man, you might just sell me on this whole rear fill thing!

plazman
08-24-2004, 10:34 PM
i have a stock 10 speaker system in my car (03 bmw 325i)

stock HU

when i move all the sound to the front, it just doesnt sound right. is this how components will sound if you only use the front and no rear fill?

ANeonRider
08-24-2004, 10:40 PM
i have a stock 10 speaker system in my car (03 bmw 325i)

stock HU

when i move all the sound to the front, it just doesnt sound right. is this how components will sound if you only use the front and no rear fill?

In my car, having an rear speakers makes it sound weird, like I said. If the speakers are properly imaged, there is no need for rear speakers. But, then again, it is all personal preference.

EFFENDI
08-24-2004, 11:39 PM
i like it so that rear passengers have somewhat decent sound.....when you are hauling like 7 people its hard to get "front stage" when you are back in the third row seat....

ANeonRider
08-24-2004, 11:42 PM
i like it so that rear passengers have somewhat decent sound.....when you are hauling like 7 people its hard to get "front stage" when you are back in the third row seat....

That's true, that is why I have 6x9's that I can turn off and on from the headunit. But I think I have used them maybe 3 times in the last 3 months.

squeak9798
08-25-2004, 09:58 AM
is this how components will sound if you only use the front and no rear fill?

No. Most decent quality components sets are leaps and bounds better than stock systems (even in "elite" cars like BMW).

I haven't had rear-fill for.....oh, probably 4 years now. Haven't missed them one bit.

Berry47
08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
No. Most decent quality components sets are leaps and bounds better than stock systems (even in "elite" cars like BMW).

I haven't had rear-fill for.....oh, probably 4 years now. Haven't missed them one bit.

I second that, I had rear fill and I removed it. It did nothing but hurt my stageing and sound quality.

plazman
08-25-2004, 11:51 AM

thanks... been waiting to hear this.

no rear fill for me.

HAVINGFUN
08-25-2004, 01:36 PM
I agree, I just took out my full range JL coaxiles and put in just a 6.5 midbass and crossed it over like a subwoofer except I crossed it over on the high and low end so it plays between 80HZ and 200HZ . Now it helps with the midbass without screwing up the front stage.

96greencivic
08-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Who knows man, you might just sell me on this whole rear fill thing!
Yeah,
So I was bored and connected the new Orion 96CX 6X9's today. They're just getting powered from the HU. All of the other parts will be powered by the amp, but that won't happen til Saturday. So the stock front speakers are still attached at the moment. The new 6X9's really added a lot of bass. Not so much anything else. I'm going to leave them on for now and turn them off when I get the rest set up. Then I'll try them on again and see if I can hear/ feel a difference.

geolemon
08-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Here's the fundamental issues:
www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/phasing/phasing.htm

As far as rear passengers - I haven't had any passengers that had ANY expectations of any sound quality whatsoever when riding in my car - certainly none that would refuse a ride because their imaging wouldn't be ideal... :rolleyes:

In fact, even from the rear seat, the sound quality from the front speakers will exceed the sound quality of most stock vehicles. ;)

Not to mention, I don't know about you - but my friends and passengers are rarely so unintersting that I would crank the volume up and drown out any possibility for conversation ...in fact, that's fundamentally tremendously rude.
And with passengers in-car, and ambiant sound levels... what's the real issue? ;)

Anyway - the REAL issues are in that link.
These latter comments are simply my personal thoughts.

jellyfish420
08-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Here's the fundamental issues:
www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/phasing/phasing.htm

As far as rear passengers - I haven't had any passengers that had ANY expectations of any sound quality whatsoever when riding in my car - certainly none that would refuse a ride because their imaging wouldn't be ideal... :rolleyes:

In fact, even from the rear seat, the sound quality from the front speakers will exceed the sound quality of most stock vehicles. ;)

Not to mention, I don't know about you - but my friends and passengers are rarely so unintersting that I would crank the volume up and drown out any possibility for conversation ...in fact, that's fundamentally tremendously rude.
And with passengers in-car, and ambiant sound levels... what's the real issue? ;)

Anyway - the REAL issues are in that link.
These latter comments are simply my personal thoughts.

hey goelemon, that link was very helpful. i learned alot about staging. i think i'm gonna do a little speaker removal tommorow, and some kick panels this weekend. thanx

supa_c
08-27-2004, 12:43 AM
ever rode in a suburban in the 3rd seat with all the audio coming from the front and you really liked the song.
My point exactly. In some cases you need rear fill

96greencivic
09-07-2004, 04:13 PM
eh, I got my 6X9's running, but I can't even tell when they're on. I guess it's only really good for the rear passengers. Although I do have a coupe and hardly transport that many people.