PDA

View Full Version : CDT CDT CL-6x distorting?

andy6387
08-22-2004, 05:41 PM
today i put in a pair of the CDT CL-6x coax speakers as the first step in installing my system. I started them up, they sounded OK by themselves, then i decided to crank it up and man, it distorts like crazy when i set the volume to max. If i set the head unit to only play out the back, does it send twice the power to the back? if that is the case i understand why it is distorting. Could it be the factory speaker wire i used? this is my first system so i don't know wtf i'm doin lol

supa_c
08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
maby turning it to MAX might have something to do with this.

Exploder 97
08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Lol At Supa

Exploder 97
08-22-2004, 05:53 PM
:imdama: get a amp to run them SON! :imdama:

squeak9798
08-22-2004, 06:23 PM
then i decided to crank it up and man, it distorts like crazy when i set the volume to max.

Therein lies the problem young Jedi. General rule is to never go above 75% of the max volume (if your headunit's volume goes up to 100, then don't turn it past 75).

If i set the head unit to only play out the back, does it send twice the power to the back?

No. All amps, including the one in your headunit, are only capable of outputing a certain amount of watts per channel. Fading to the rear, or balancing to the right isn't going to change the amount of power the channels still playing put out.

Could it be the factory speaker wire i used?

As long as it's not a crusty and corroded, then yes.

this is my first system so i don't know wtf i'm doin lol

We've all been there once. Read and learn.

supa_c
08-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Most head units produce TONS of distortion at max volume ...yep, my stocker pumps all that nasty bass to my el cheap o speakers.(not my CDT's)
sounds like ████

EFFENDI
08-22-2004, 06:51 PM
update - dont actually have the CDTs yet...so technically we are rolling stock speakers but dealing with a heavily, heavily upgraded sub-bass department...

x2 what everyone else said..
turning it past 75% is just asking for distortion. excersize some restraint in turning it up to MAX i know you want it loud, but you have to earn that right first...

andy6387
08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
thanks for the info everyone. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the speakers i got that just ****** or anything lol. I will be installing my hd-62z next week powered by a cadence z8000 175x2 amp. I'm hoping it sounds good, i definately payed a bit for those speakers lol. In the future i'm planning of getting a jl 1000.1 amp and 2 of the jl 10" amps, but i don't have that kind of money yet lol. Thanks again

EFFENDI
08-22-2004, 09:11 PM
thanks for the info everyone. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the speakers i got that just ****** or anything lol. I will be installing my hd-62z next week powered by a cadence z8000 175x2 amp. I'm hoping it sounds good, i definately payed a bit for those speakers lol. In the future i'm planning of getting a jl 1000.1 amp and 2 of the jl 10" amps, but i don't have that kind of money yet lol. Thanks again
anytime..

that setup should sound pretty nice. just keep it moderate on the volume levels....personally i am not a fan of JL and i think there is better for the money as many other members of the forum agree, but if you like them then go for it.

andy6387
08-22-2004, 10:02 PM
ya they do seem a bit overpriced, i'll probably end up shopping around like i did with the speakers. i almost shelled out 1100 dollars to have one put in at a local sound shop. I researched the stuff online and it would've cost me less than 400 dollars to do it myself. Glad I didn't do that haha.

edit: also, the majority of the info i got was off these forums. I'm very greatful lol