PDA

View Full Version : Need front speaker advice.

carp
08-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Ok, I'm a home audio guy and know very little about car audio, so be gentle.

I recently bought a Alpine CDA-9827 head unit, and I am very pleased with it so far. However, now I want to buy new front speakers since all I have now is the stock speakers and they don't sound very good. I am willing to spend up to 200 dollars for both of the fronts, and I want some suggestions as to what speakers are regarded as good for that amount of money.

I am also wondering if I can use my subwoofer amp (JL audio, 250 watts into 1 channel) to power the new front speakers that I would buy. I am pretty ignorant about car audio, so I don't know if you have to have a different kind of amp to drive speakers.

I have a 96 Maxima, and the speaker size in the front is 5.25.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

squeak9798
08-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, if that JL amp is mono (1 channel), then you can't use it to push your front speakers because you wouldn't be able to get stereo sound. You'd need a 2 channel or a 4 channel.....or if that JL amps isn't class D, you could get another matching JL monoblock and run one to each side.

As for speaker.....so you want components or co-axials? Either way, look into Focal, Image Dynamics, Boston Acoustics, and a whole bunch more I can't think of right now.........

ANeonRider
08-21-2004, 01:14 PM
ya, listen to squeak.

VisionxOrb
08-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Also CDT, Diamond, I heard the new alpine type-x sound really good.

carp
08-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

What is the difference between co-axials and component?

Ok, so I need to buy an amp too. Any suggestions there? If it won't make a big difference in sound quality, then I may not go that route.

VisionxOrb
08-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

What is the difference between co-axials and component?

Ok, so I need to buy an amp too. Any suggestions there? If it won't make a big difference in sound quality, then I may not go that route.

componets typicaly sound better... reason being that each driver is there own speaker and and they have highquality crossovers to match the speakers

where as coaxials contain say a woofer and tweerter combinend into one speaker also *normally* having a very inferiour cross over usually somting like just a high pass filter on the tweeter. and trying to pack all that speaker into a that one piece scarifices are gonna be made in the speaker that u dont have todo going the componet route. now that being said coaxials can still sound good.

squeak9798
08-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Yup, components usually have higher quality drivers, higher quality crossovers and higher power handling.

Brands like MBQuart, Focal, Image Dynamics, Boston Acoustics, etc etc all have very nice sounding, good quality co-axials. Personally, I'd still rather run component sets though..........