PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues with a DEH-P840MP

kdogg-
08-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this but here goes.

I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP and a few months ago it just for no reason started to random **** like the radio would stay on but the face would shut off. Only way to get it to come on again would be to pull the face off and put it back on.

I just assumed it was due to being put on and removed so much so I just dealed with it.

Well yesterday the radio was fine... I shut off my car and when i turned it back on, no more radio..

Wont turn on, wont power up, nothing... I pulled tried putting on and taking off the face, I checked all the wiring connectiong and even used a volt meter on the power wires at the pioneer harness plug to make sure they worked ok.

Inline power deck fuse it ok too.

Anyone ever had any problems like this? I've heard of radio's blowing up and **** not working right but I've never seen one just plain not turn on at all.

I even took it into a local shop and they hooked up the power and ground to a testing station and it wouldnt turn on for them eather.

Thanks.

supa_c
08-21-2004, 04:44 AM
clean the face plate conections with some alcohol.
see if that does any thing

sumone
08-21-2004, 05:46 AM
I even took it into a local shop and they hooked up the power and ground to a testing station and it wouldnt turn on for them eather.

then I guess the problemlies within...

OLD_SCHOOL
08-21-2004, 05:49 AM
clean the faceplte and make sure it is getting good conection

supa_c
08-21-2004, 05:59 AM
clean the face plate conections with some alcohol.
see if that does any thing
clean the faceplte and make sure it is getting good conectionyou stealer

OLD_SCHOOL
08-21-2004, 06:23 AM
haha same idea

kdogg-
08-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Cleaned them with professional contact cleaner uses for cleaning electronics.

Did nothing...

supa_c
08-21-2004, 07:06 AM
see if you can use a differnt face plate on it.
maby the one you have is broken.

negativezeroz
08-22-2004, 01:30 AM
my DEH-7600MP did that but came back on once I switched cd's :)

squeak9798
08-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Have you tried wiggling the wires or the connection plug? Maybe a connection came loose inside the unit.

Oh, and about the shop testing it.....I've had CD players not come on before because the antenna was not plugged in.

adam71
08-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Cleaned them with professional contact cleaner uses for cleaning electronics.

Did nothing...

Only one thing to do. Take it back where you got it to get it fixed or replaced. Your problem is the ribbon cable on the outer face. The Pioneer DEH-P8400, 8500, 9600....Premier DEH-P840, 850, and 960 all have the dual face and all these models are having problems. Local shop by me has sold over 50 of these units and all but 5 have come back. Thats why I went with the DEH-P860 instead of the 960.

-Adam

kdogg
08-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Ya thats what I'm leaning towards.. I found a webpage that says something like, own a 840, 850, 8400, 5400 blah blah, doesnt turn on? Face shuts off? Send it in and for $60 we fix blah blah lol...

Anyway I tried to order a new cable from Pioneer, that ribbon is out of stock or no longer for sale.

squeak9798
08-22-2004, 06:49 PM
:shrugs: My DEH-P840MP is still running strong, and I bought it the first week they were released 3 or so years ago.........just luck of the draw I guess.

kdogg-
08-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Its ok.. I got a DEH-P9300 I can use until I get it fixed.. Miss the MP3's :(

I think its the ribbon cable though.

AngreeDwrf
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Okay i have a similar problem with my DEHP840. I love that thing but over the last year or so it would randomly turn off. Id check the connection, reattach the faceplate, or just jimmy the face back and forth a little and it would do its starting up beep and work again. Its a lot like trying to get an old nintendo game to play. well, after a while it started happening more and more until now, i can barely get it to work at all... and when it does work, the slightest bump in the road will turn it off again. its VERY frusterating, so i put my old stereo back in.

i assume it has sometihng to do with the connection of the faceplate to the unit, but i dont know all that much about car audio other than installation. there are really small lines that could be wear on the metallic strips that the pins connect to... but it doesnt seem like its real bad. other than that its fine.

if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, especially on how i can fix it cheap and hopefully on my own- that would be best. thanks a lot.

squeak9798
04-21-2005, 01:10 PM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91698

Read that whole thread man. Should fix your problems. My buddies was doing essentially the same thing. $20 bucks for the part and 30 minutes later, we had it fixed 100% :D If you need any help with it, let me know :thumbupw: It's not hard at all to do yourself.

AngreeDwrf
04-22-2005, 02:45 PM
i ordered the part yesterday afternoon, standard ground shipping and it arrived this morning! pioneer is on their game. i highly recommend ordering from their site. it comes with step by step instructions and everything you need.