PDA

View Full Version : distortion

jellyfish420
08-19-2004, 11:55 PM
ok i was wondering if you turned it all the way up and got distortion while burping would give you more db's than at around 3/4 volume where its loud as hell but with all the clipping?

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 11:07 AM
distortion usually IS clipping...particularly in this sense were you are cranking it up.

And no it wont help your spl

jellyfish420
08-20-2004, 01:50 PM
so as loud as you can go w/o clipping is as loud as its gonna go? turning the volume up more and clipping a little doesn't get any louder?

audiotech
08-20-2004, 02:05 PM
so as loud as you can go w/o clipping is as loud as its gonna go? turning the volume up more and clipping a little doesn't get any louder?

No you won't get any louder with the amp clipping, besides the fact that your risking blowing your sub. In fact you probably lose a little bit, being that the sub is no longer moving within it's mechanical limits.

jellyfish420
08-20-2004, 06:08 PM
No you won't get any louder with the amp clipping, besides the fact that your risking blowing your sub. In fact you probably lose a little bit, being that the sub is no longer moving within it's mechanical limits.
not trying to be a smart *** or nothing, but how will the sub not be within its mechanical limits if the amp is clipping?

ANeonRider
08-20-2004, 06:09 PM
hook up DC to a sub, then check back.

jellyfish420
08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
ohhhh. . . thats a good point. didn't think of it that way thanks neon.

Zerstorer
08-20-2004, 09:54 PM
If the clipping is bad enough, the sub may not move enough to keep air moving through the vented pole piece, thus it gets hotter, and becomes less efficient, electronically speaking.

ANeonRider
08-20-2004, 10:00 PM
If the clipping is bad enough, the sub may not move enough to keep air moving through the vented pole piece, thus it gets hotter, and becomes less efficient, electronically speaking.

yes, most subs use their movement for cooling, and if they become extented too long, will heat the voice coils and let out the magic smoke.

TooLowTooGo
08-20-2004, 10:34 PM
thats messed up. i asked the same question 2 months ago n got 1 reply, lol.

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok the cooling system plays little to any effect when you are dealing with severe clipping on a decently sized amp. They do help, but only to a certain degree (pun intended...lol)

Remember that it's not the distortion from the clipping that kills subs, but rather the increased power put to the coil that clipping generates that delaminates the coil. I'd be willing to bet in most cases of coil glue failure, all the cooling in the world wouldn't have helped the coil..... (Everyone around here thinks that the gain needs to be wide open and the HU all the way up....)

to answer the first question. No clipping does not help spl on the new mic. I've tried it.

jellyfish420
08-21-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks guys, u probably saved me some subs.

Ricktc
08-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Ok the cooling system plays little to any effect when you are dealing with severe clipping on a decently sized amp. They do help, but only to a certain degree (pun intended...lol)

Remember that it's not the distortion from the clipping that kills subs, but rather the increased power put to the coil that clipping generates that delaminates the coil. I'd be willing to bet in most cases of coil glue failure, all the cooling in the world wouldn't have helped the coil..... (Everyone around here thinks that the gain needs to be wide open and the HU all the way up....)

to answer the first question. No clipping does not help spl on the new mic. I've tried it.

I seem to gain a considerable amount by clipping my amp rather than playing fully unclipped notes ? :waycrazy:

-Rick

jellyfish420
08-26-2004, 08:04 AM
mine kinda sounds louder unclipped. . . or maybe it just sounds better. but thats just to my ear, i haven't had it metered, so i don't know whats louder to the meter. i'm soing in a week or 2, how accurate is the old tl compared to the new tl. the shop im going to said they had a kris mic or something like that, and it was the same as the old tl.