PDA

View Full Version : How?

jay99
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
at car shows people have like 2 subs and an amp and their car points but dosent rattle or anything.. i have 2 mtx subs..12', a pioneer ddeck deh-p6600, and a sony explode 1000w amp.. and my back bumper seems to shake same with my rear dash (a bit) and it dosent pound like theirs,, wast wrong>

primitivefears
08-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Because they have money invested. Money in sound deadening, Money in install, and all important, Money in gear.

squeak9798
08-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Like said, they have A LOT of money and time invested in their stereos. Sound deadening, concrete (seriously), etc etc.

supraman1379
08-19-2004, 08:49 PM
I have quite a bit of rattle. No sound deadener. But My truck still pounds. So heres what its most likely is, THE INSTALL. Its all in the istall

jay99
08-19-2004, 08:54 PM
the install of the wires? the deck? the amp? or where my subs are? cause my subs are just in a box facing my trunk..

supraman1379
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
the box size, where the subs are facing. ( which I think you have them in a good spot facing back cuz mine was louder that way too), But mainly the box size and stuff like that

jay99
08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
my box is appearantly custom for my subs

supraman1379
08-19-2004, 09:07 PM
What kind of car do you have yer stuff in?

jay99
08-19-2004, 09:07 PM
1997 mazda mx6 LS

supraman1379
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
have you tried putting polyfill in yer box?

jay99
08-19-2004, 11:54 PM
nope whats that?

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Like said, they have A LOT of money and time invested in their stereos. Sound deadening, concrete (seriously), etc etc.

You really only see concrete in the extreme cars and every now and again in super street vehicles....

the install of the wires? the deck? the amp? or where my subs are? cause my subs are just in a box facing my trunk..

All of that is critical to your success in the lanes.

nope whats that [polyfill] ?

Polyfill is the trade marked name for the product a company sells for car audio installations. Basically it is polyester fibers that are placed inside of a box. They vibrate sympathetically with the bass and transform some of the acoustical energy into heat. This has the indirect effect of making the sub act as though it is in a bigger box. Generic PolyFill can be found at your local super walmart as pillow stuffing and it will cost 2 dollars for about 10 pounds of it.

The Real Polyfill is identicle in nature and will cost you 15 bux or so for 1 pound! :eek:

squeak9798
08-20-2004, 11:14 AM
You really only see concrete in the extreme cars and every now and again in super street vehicles....

I know some SQ guys that have used thin layers on concrete and concrete like substances on doors and floors ;)

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 11:17 AM
I know some SQ guys that have used thin layers on concrete and concrete like substances on doors and floors ;)

Who does? It would be quite useless in a thin layer on the door becaus the stuff cracks incredibly easily when in a thin layer. Hell it cracks incredibly easily in a thick layer (4" +) too...lol Structural engineers joke about concrete all the time. It's hard, it's grey, and it cracks. :D

Maybe they were telling you fiberglass resin mixed with sand in a thin layer over the door?

squeak9798
08-20-2004, 11:20 AM
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=97228 - Read the 2nd post

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=97228 - Read the 2nd post

That site is the absolute gayest site on the planet...even though I'm registered it will not let me see anything....What complete MORON designed the thing??

squeak9798
08-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, here is what it said;

There's always concrete, it wont melt. I used some as a brush on (whel I used a putty knife) on my last car, doors, quarter panels and trunk, it worked well.

I used a floor patching dry concrete with no aggrigate (rocks) but had plastic fibers in it for strength, and a material from home depot called kool seal as the liquid for the crete. The kool seal is marketed under several names, but its basically a white latex material used for roofing mobile homes. Using it in the concrete made the concrete sticky, adhering was not a problem. Had the car for 3 years with no problems with it coming unstuck, at all. And it didnt melt. Sold the car to a friend, and was t-boned 3 weeks later. The door that had to be replaced still had the concrete stuck to its caved in sheet metal.

Bumpin' Yota
08-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, here is what it said;

Ah ok, thats not normal concrete - he is adding a significant amount of latex based epoxy of some kind to it to make it pliable and to contain the mass of the concrete. He is basically making his own mass loading material. The concrete dust only provides the weight. It would be more correct to say he is using a latex epoxy of some kind and added concrete dust to it. ;)

**** good idea too...

Alaxan
08-21-2004, 01:01 AM
A lot can come into play with this. Quite often aging vehicles tend to rattle a bit more than a brand new one. Regardless of sintall, dampening etc... Find the rattles, fix them, tighten them up, add some deadening, I have used spray in foam before on some spots, I have elded pieces before in other areas. This is an older vehicle you have this in, find the noise, then work from there to eliminate it. Based on location any number of applications may be better suited to fix the problem.

squeak9798
08-21-2004, 09:55 AM
It would be more correct to say he is using a latex epoxy of some kind and added concrete dust to it. ;)

Semantics :p: