PDA

View Full Version : Rear 6x9 ?

saintluey
08-19-2004, 06:38 PM
I keep reading about u guys sayin that rear 6x9;s are worthless and not to waste money on em. does this go for all cars ? i got a 99 towncar and was going to upgrade mine, the car has a big interior so i was thinkin it was a good idea, i already go vegas in the front and am going to add tweeters this weekend. the rear speakers have what seems to be like a oval box, i seen it in my trunk (u cant see the speaker, the oval box covers it) i think this probably gives it more bass )not that needed once the systems hooked) anyways what is the deal witg 6x9,s?

ANeonRider
08-19-2004, 06:40 PM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67356

squeak9798
08-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Lots of reasons. They detract from a proper soundstage. All the music should sound like it is coming from in front of you. 6x9s can pull the soundstage back. Also, if you have subs you can leave the 6x9 openings empty and have a "port" of sorts for the bass to enter the cabin through. 3rd, if you have good front speakers, then you shouldn't be hearing the 6x9s anyways.......so not really a point in spending money on upgrading them (unless you have a lot of rear seat passengers).

maylar
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Your front speakers should be where you concentrate your efforts and money. However, in big cars like yours and mine having some rear sound can add a bit of depth to the system and actually sound better than without it. It's totally a matter of personal taste.

For stock systems without amplified front speakers, 6x9's in the back add a whole lot of power and midbass. Definitely not the preferred setup, but better than a cheesy front stage on head unit power. There are lots of good 6x9's out there... Infinity Reference and Kappas, Pioneer 3-ways, CDT's to name a few. Don't get ****** ones tho - pay $100 a pair or you're wasting your time.