PDA

View Full Version : Help needed moving screen

DragonCub
08-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, I have a problem I need to solve. I am putting a 7" lcd screen in my center console of my car. The screen will have a pivot in the center of both sides and behind the screen will be a cd player. I am trying to achieve the same fucntion as a filp-down head unit. (see drawing)

Side view
Closed

---------------------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-----------------------------

Open (imagine without the dots, just place holers)

..............------------------------
. Cd Player here
.\
...\
.....\
.......\
.........\
...........\
.............\
...............\
.................\
...................\
.....................\
.......................\
............------------------------

I need some sort of a motor to make this possible. There will be a button that I will press and the screen will flip down to expose the cd player and when I press the button again the screen will go back up. I don't want to hold the button down to make it open and close. The motor needs to be 12v and it needs to open and close the screen slowly. I'm not sure what kind of motor to use, I been't doing some research and think I might be able to use a linear actuator. The motor also needs to have limits on it so when I press the button to open the screen the motor turn until it reaches the limit and stops.

I also need a similar motor for a cover I will be making for the screen. It will act similar to a garage door. The door should open when I start the car and close when I turn off the car. This motor also needs limits on it as well. It needs to be 12v and move slow. The motor can't be too big because of the space issues behind the dash.

Please help me out, let me know what I need exactly and how it should be connect. If you guys have other suggestion it would be great. I hope I've explained this right, if you need more information please let me know. I've searched the web but have been unable to find helpful information.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

LBX2G
08-20-2004, 02:03 PM
i say just use an magnet type closer. Like on an clase case for an home store unit. And just put swing hinges at the bottom.

DragonCub
08-23-2004, 08:42 PM
It's going to me cd/ dvd drive that you use on a computer. I am putting a computer in the trunk and will be using it for music/mp3, video, internet, gps, dvd. The screen is going to be a touchscreen. I have plenty of space behind the screen for the cd player. I've got it all worked out on how it's going to move and everything. I just need the motor to make it move. On suggestion would be great and a link would be even better.

DragonCub
08-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Come on guys, does no one have any ideas or comments. Any help would be fine.