PDA

View Full Version : engine noise after installing HU

DJ Eric P.
08-18-2004, 12:56 PM
I just installed a Pioneer DEH8400MP. I have a '03 GMC Sierra and replaced the stock HU. On the stock HU I ad two inline output converters with an amp hooked up and there was no engine noise. After installing the Pioneer the engine noise is pretty loud. Any suggestions/advice on what to do/check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

ANeonRider
08-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Check the grounds. I have a feeling it is the HU that is the culprit.

nosaj070
08-18-2004, 01:09 PM
reground the HU to something solid, right now you are most likely grounding through the entire cd player to the din mounting sleeve.

DJ Eric P.
08-18-2004, 01:35 PM
reground the HU to something solid, right now you are most likely grounding through the entire cd player to the din mounting sleeve.
You are right, I was figuring it would be the HU ground but wasn't sure. I'll re ground it in a couple of hours and let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Eric

Hooter
08-18-2004, 02:11 PM
where do you have the RCAs running in the vehicle?

DJ Eric P.
08-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I have them going from the HU down through the back of the glove compartment, then under the floor through the pass seat, then it goes to the side door sill to the back of the ext cab.

Hooter
08-19-2004, 10:12 PM
hmm never had any problems with engine noise running the RCAs in the same place you have run them, but is your Power wire on the oppisite side? could be a bad RCA too, but just try the easy stuff first like a better ground on the deck, or run a wire from the chassis of the deck to the - side of the amp to see if that makes the noise go away

clarity413
08-21-2004, 07:48 PM
I actually had the same problem with alt wine. The ground trace in the preamp on the HU went out. Usually it's from disconnecting and reconnecting RCAs whiel you're installing it. I might of got it from that. Also, my rca plugs are all metal on the outside I have a feeling they rubbed up against with the computer or cigarette lighter when I was installing them. That might have blown the ground trace. Either way it *****!

DJ Eric P.
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Well I regrounded it to anither part of the truck and still have the same problem. I guess the next thing to do is check the RCA's.

ANeonRider
08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
How is your battery ground?

DJ Eric P.
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Well, I foud something else that was interesting. When the HU is turned off I can still hear the enginge noise so it's gotta be something else other than the HU grounding right?

ANeonRider
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
well, then it is your amp grounds.

dthadamaja
08-24-2004, 12:37 AM
are you running a 4 channel amp? if you are make sure all ground from amps including hu is at the same point to eliminate any ground loop. if that doesnt fix the problem then ground it at the battery. and make sure all signal cables are away from power wires

DJ Eric P.
08-24-2004, 12:57 AM
are you running a 4 channel amp? if you are make sure all ground from amps including hu is at the same point to eliminate any ground loop. if that doesnt fix the problem then ground it at the battery. and make sure all signal cables are away from power wires
*hits self in the head with large wooden spoon* now that makes some ****ing sense.

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 01:02 AM
and make sure all signal cables are away from power wires

That won't matter.........

dthadamaja
08-24-2004, 01:20 AM
it will make a diff. because running rca's along side with power cables for your 4 channel amp will pick up alot of interference. if your not running a 4 channel amp and are running your speakers of the head unit then just ground the head unit at the same ground as your amp or at the battery.

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 01:23 AM
it will make a diff. because running rca's along side with power cables for your 4 channel amp will pick up alot of interference.

No it won't, that's a myth

Hooter
08-24-2004, 01:32 AM
it is not a myth, having your RCA's right beside the power wire, WILL cause noise, run the RCAS on the oppisite side of the vehicle then where the power wire is running

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
it is not a myth, having your RCA's right beside the power wire, WILL cause noise, run the RCAS on the oppisite side of the vehicle then where the power wire is running

This issue has been covered a million times. It is a myth.....and even some of the smartest minds in car audio agree that it is a myth (Scott Buwalda, Richard Clark, Dan Wiggins, etc etc)

For example; I had my power wire, two sets of RCA's, two pairs of speaker wire, and the remote turn on lead all zip tied together for the length of my entire car.........and I had zero noise.

dthadamaja
08-24-2004, 04:05 AM
This issue has been covered a million times. It is a myth.....and even some of the smartest minds in car audio agree that it is a myth (Scott Buwalda, Richard Clark, Dan Wiggins, etc etc)

For example; I had my power wire, two sets of RCA's, two pairs of speaker wire, and the remote turn on lead all zip tied together for the length of my entire car.........and I had zero noise.

ahha now was this for your subwoofer amp or for your 4 channel? garuntee you that you run it for your amp to the highs, you will def. get engine noise.

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 10:32 AM
ahha now was this for your subwoofer amp or for your 4 channel? garuntee you that you run it for your amp to the highs, you will def. get engine noise.

You guaranty it, eh?? Because yes, one RCA cable was for my subs, but one RCA cable was for my highs ;). Again, absolutely zero noise with 2 pair of RCAs (one for sub & one for highs), power wire, 2 pairs of speaker wire (running to the comp set in my door) and the remote wire zip-tied together for the entire length of my car (4 door Bonneville).

Again, if you don't want to believe me, then believe some of the smartest people in car audio today................
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022690 (I assume you know who Richard Clark is, pay attention to his post)
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63123 (read Dan Wiggins post, specifically his item #5).

dthadamaja
08-24-2004, 07:10 PM
You guaranty it, eh?? Because yes, one RCA cable was for my subs, but one RCA cable was for my highs ;). Again, absolutely zero noise with 2 pair of RCAs (one for sub & one for highs), power wire, 2 pairs of speaker wire (running to the comp set in my door) and the remote wire zip-tied together for the entire length of my car (4 door Bonneville).

Again, if you don't want to believe me, then believe some of the smartest people in car audio today................
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022690 (I assume you know who Richard Clark is, pay attention to his post)
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63123 (read Dan Wiggins post, specifically his item #5).

thanx for the links acid, they were very informitive, this actually caused me to do alot more research on it. It just so happens that I've had engine noise in in some other installs that were alleviated by rerouting the rca's. I still cant seem to understand why it helped, but maybe some things were also so changed in the process that i didnt notice. imma just run all rca's next to power cables next time and see what happens. thanx again and any more links would be appreciated.

squeak9798
08-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm squeak ;) But anyways, re-routing the RCA's changes A LOT more variables then just where it is in relation to the power wire. It is very likely that "moving" the RCA's fixed the problem with the noise......but it wasn't related to the power wire. Bad connection, connection toucing metal, a cut in the insulation that was causing the wire to touch metal, etc etc.