PDA

View Full Version : DC/DC Converter?

hls811
08-16-2004, 10:44 AM
OK.. this is going to show my lack of knowledge w/ auto electronics - but whats a DC/DC Converter do...?

I just picked up an Alpine CDA-9835 this weekend and its got an external DC/DC converter. I've never had a radio with one before and was just curious to find out what it does and why I need it.. (In the manual, it doesn't say wha *** does, just gives precautions regarding it).

Thanks!

Dragonknell
08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
well it would be a regulated output transforming the 12v DC into some lower voltage like what computer power supply units do, change 12v dc to 5v or 3.3v dc (thats what hard drives / cd drives use)

Do you have pictures of the connectors ?

after re-reading your post, im guessing the dc to dc converter is meant to be run from the battery and prolly power the head unit, in the even that you wanted to run muliple head units, seeing as i am guessing, dont quote me and im not 100% sure, seeing as i have no idea what this thing looks like

if you post some pics ill tell you for sure tho

hls811
08-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't have pictures only because I've installed it all aready. I'll be taking the head unit out in a few weeks (when the Alpine/iPod connector is available) and I'll take some pics then..

Theres a cable (about the diameter of a Coax cable) that comes out from the back of the head unit, and then a box about 1" x 2" x 1" that it connects to. Theres no other connections that get made to the box...

The interesting part is that a freind of mind installed his old Kenwood HU this weekend as well, and when we got into work he was telling me about it and he had the same thing on his stereo...

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't have pictures only because I've installed it all aready. I'll be taking the head unit out in a few weeks (when the Alpine/iPod connector is available) and I'll take some pics then..

Theres a cable (about the diameter of a Coax cable) that comes out from the back of the head unit, and then a box about 1" x 2" x 1" that it connects to. Theres no other connections that get made to the box...

The interesting part is that a freind of mind installed his old Kenwood HU this weekend as well, and when we got into work he was telling me about it and he had the same thing on his stereo...

It has nothing to do with multiple hu's. I have it on mine as well and I have a panasonic. Last deck I had didn't have this, unless it was internal. Not sure what it does but I'm guessing you have to mount it to metal.

joeboxer5876
07-22-2005, 09:39 PM
i read about this before. somebody that has way more knowledge than me was saying that it had to do with the rca's. so that they will put out the full claimed 4 volt output with out clipping.

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
i read about this before. somebody that has way more knowledge than me was saying that it had to do with the rca's. so that they will put out the full claimed 4 volt output with out clipping.

Crap. I was about to not use it/ mount it to metal because I read on a google search that it was necessary with the new head units that put out such high wattage with the built in amps that it is necessary for them to use a dc/dc converter.

AndyB
07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
not sure exactly... but what a regular AC/DC-DC/AC convertor will do is something like i have in my room. Plugs into the wall, and you can power an amp with it... A serious upgrade from my battery charger... :crap:

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 09:57 PM
But it is supposed to be mounted to a grounded metal right?

AndyB
07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
no...

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 09:59 PM
no...

What are you supposed to mount it to? The instructions don't say they say have an authorized installer mount it. I don't know why else they would make the dc/dc converter out of metal casing.

JAZN
07-22-2005, 10:01 PM
this is an old thread?

AndyB
07-22-2005, 10:01 PM
i have no idea for a h/u... i wasent sure what you were talking about. I would guess so, thats what i would do. :uhoh:

AndyB
07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
this is an old thread?

As were commenting on it now.... NO. lol j/k man had to say it

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
this is an old thread?

So obviously you have the answer. What's the answer? Does it have to be mounted to metal?

Black_Jesus
07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
mine isnt, headunit works perfectly fine

its the 9835 btw

jlaine
07-22-2005, 10:22 PM
So obviously you have the answer. What's the answer? Does it have to be mounted to metal?

No.

Two primary reasons it's "off board" on a lot of the head units is for space, and for noise issues - since it's a possible generation source according to some.

Just stick it somewhere out of the way with velcro.

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 10:31 PM
mine isnt, headunit works perfectly fine

its the 9835 btw

I think it is supposed to be grounded. If you take it and place it against metal it sparks. No company in their right mind would make something like that metal if it wasn't supposed to be grounded. I'm going to ground it.

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 10:33 PM
No.

Two primary reasons it's "off board" on a lot of the head units is for space, and for noise issues - since it's a possible generation source according to some.

Just stick it somewhere out of the way with velcro.

But if it wasn't supposed to be grounded why would you make it out of metal? You would make it out of plastic. That way if the casing touches metal no damage would be done.

JimJ
07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Metal makes a good Faraday shield...encase it in a metallic box, and you've shielded it from spewing electromagnetic interference where you don't want it to go.

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Metal makes a good Faraday shield...encase it in a metallic box, and you've shielded it from spewing electromagnetic interference where you don't want it to go.

Yes but couldn't they have encased it in metal with a plastic exterior then?

I guess my final question is will it cause damage if I ground this unit?

JAZN
07-22-2005, 10:56 PM
doesnt have to be mounted to metal but i honestly dont know why it's made of metal. shielding is a possibility, maybe durability? idk
here's a dc/dc converter for some other car electronics and it's made out of plastic
http://www.amabilidade2002.com/na1.jpg

joshpoints
07-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Alright F-it. Thanks everyone. I'm not going to ground it for now. If I have problems I'll call panasonic monday and see what they say.

AndyB
07-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Yea, thats what i was going to say, call them and ask before you seal everything back up.

joeboxer5876
07-23-2005, 10:28 PM
the only thing my alpine instuctions said to keep it away from the other wire. it said nothing about mounting it to metal or grounding it.