PDA

View Full Version : 5.25 VS. 6.5 ? Big diffrence?

Depression
08-16-2004, 06:54 AM
I am restricted to running 5.25 components in my truck, either in the doors or Q Logic kick pannels..Or an expensive custom job?. Of course, if I could I would run 6.5's and most sytems of serious respect do.But is there "THAT" big of a difference between the 2?

AGAIN..I am aware that 6.5's are typically preffered and 5.25 are usually a "Requirement" rather than a request.But what are your opinions on the sound quality between these 2 sizes...OR difefrent sizes in general?

req
08-16-2004, 08:40 AM
if you are that interesed and want to run 6.5s, im doing a custom job right now. it will porlly cost you ~$40 to make custom kick panels- if you do the work yourself... and maybe 4~5 hours of work at that.

i spent an hour yesterday working on my kick panels, and they are 3\4ths done already.

1. glass the mould in the car (cover with tape, lay first and second layer of fiberglass- wait dry, lay the rest. (done)
2. make baffle and mount it with glue with correct imaging direction
3. stretch fleece over baffle and paint with resin, then carpet with correct color

done. its really that simple. fiberglass is just like working with paper mache. i layed about 4~5 layers on my kick panels in 30 minutes.

really the only part that is somewhat tough is making the baffle to be flush with the speaker, and that isnt too hard as it is- i can use my grandfathers router table.

fleecing is quite simple too. and i dont have to sand because carpet is going on.

so do it yourself, use the 6.5s, and keep your 5.25s in there as well, or get new ones and amp them too. get 2 12's behind your seats, and bathe in bliss =)

refer to the "newbie guide to fiberglassing" and you cant go wrong.

Apollo X
08-18-2004, 01:40 AM
I was running JL XR525's for a while and am now on the 650's of the same model so I guess I have a little experiance in that area. I did notice a difference in the sound, quite a bit in fact, until I got the subs running. I definitely like it better, but I don't think it's really worth that much time and effort unless you are really **** about your audio. If your comepeting, go for it, but if you aren't competing I really wouldn't worry about the 1 inch difference too much.

maylar
08-18-2004, 04:52 PM
6.5's typically can take a lot more power than 5.25's and also go lower in freq. That means you can hipass them lower and get more midbass from them at high volumes. That's if you compare the two sizes among the same brand and product line. But some people prefer 5.25's for the midrange clarity that smaller speakers tend to have. It's really up to you and your priorities.

Alpine CDA-9815
08-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I would just go with the 5.25's... really the only thing you'll get with the 6.5's is maybe some more power handling as said, and more midbass.