PDA

View Full Version : speaker noise

blackse
08-15-2004, 09:34 PM
I have been having this weird noise coming out of my rear speakers (eclipse SE8493) for about 3 weeks now, they aren't blown i can turn it up to where i can't hear it. it sounds like tinsel slap but iam not sure, any ideas would be appreciated.

squeak9798
08-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Can you describe the noise, and when it happens (all the time, loud volumes, certain songs, etc etc). And how much power are you sending them?

fossil99ca
08-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Look (listen) for air leaks. Can make a wistle sound that sounds like tinsel slap. Happened to me with my sub (sealed enclosure though).

djdilliodon
08-16-2004, 10:08 AM
it is most likely tinsel slap or the speaker bottoming out :(

VisionxOrb
08-16-2004, 03:36 PM
it is most likely tinsel slap or the speaker bottoming out :(

I remember one time when I was around 10 ( 13 yrs ago ) and my dad had given me his old Acoustic Research AR2a's when I first started my real ventures into hometheater. I had them connected to my pionner VSX-501 reciver and one time I had them cranked, when the bass hit the woofers bottemd out so hard I thought I was getting shot at by automatic weapon fire.

blackse
08-16-2004, 04:51 PM
its sounds like rain falling on a piece of aluminum foil. It does this at all volumes but is more noticable at lower ones. I believe they are getting 85 rms according to the amps specs.

squeak9798
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
hmmmmm.......not tinsel lead slap or the speaker bottoming out if it does it at all volume levels.

Check and make sure that the speaker's terminals aren't touching metal and that the speaker wire (the copper itself) isn't touching metal anywhere throughout it's entire length. Sounds to me like you may just have bunk speakers though...........you could take them out, sit them right next to your amp and just run a short speaker wire to them. Don't crank it up too loud, but play them loud enough to see if the sound is still there with them in the trunk right next to your amp. If its still there, then it's either the amp or the speaker.