PDA

View Full Version : Buying from eBay???

DanS
08-05-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm looking to buy the Alpine CDA 9833 Head Unit ... because of the Alpine iPod interface that will be released in the fall.

Anyway -- I've been looking around and noticed that these units can be found on eBay for upwards of $150 cheaper than the $450 retail price.

Buying a car stereo from eBay kinda *scares* me though.

Has anyone bought a head unit off of eBay? Has anyone heard of others buying these?

I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks.

supa_c
08-05-2004, 09:39 PM
as long as it isnt one of those ones you pay to get information on.

jujumantb
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=196750
^ Have a read just so you are aware. It happens alot.

BLACK NAVI
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I've had pretty good luck. Remember there are crooks everywhere. Be advised that there are a lot legimate stores that also sell on ebay.

UndercoverPunk
08-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Um, my only Car audio purchase on eBay was for my 6.5 component set, they are OBVIOUSLY 2nd's, but the guy wouldn't respond to that... they work, but I'll just buy my speakers elsewhere from now on, I'd rather pay a little more for a better quality for sure...

themainjam
08-09-2004, 08:37 PM
its up to you. i have been burnt twice once on a tuner card for my comp so i could get tv signals on my monitor. and recently on a pair of 5.25 alpine components(tweeters didnt work)... the good news?

well my alpine components are getting warrantied(Factory) so i have a brand new set of components for the $50 i paid for them now ya cant beat that!! :) but it could have easily went the other way.... so i have done 30-35 transactions on ebay and have been burnt twice but the money i saved form those 30-35 made up for the 2 times about 20 times :)

stalephotograph
08-09-2004, 09:14 PM
ive bought car audio off ebay before and so have my friends. try this ebay store http://www.indoaudio.com i bought 2 powerbase 12inch subs from the guy, my friend bought 2 image dynamics id maxs, 2 memphis 10s/box, 3 soundstream amps all from this guy. hes a really good dealer and im about to buy an alpine 9827 headunit from him when i get the $200 for it.

LBX2G
08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I have gotten an amp (crossfire142) and an clarion 6.4 overhead montior. I got both at great prices. I paid $40 for the crossfire and $20 for the clarion. But the best thing about the monitor is that it is worth $1300. The only downside is that I have not yet tested it to see if it works. But the crossfire is bumpimg away.

somekook
08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
IVe never had a problem with ebay. check the seller's feedback and read the item description carefully and you cant go wrong

Justin89T
08-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I bought my Pioneer DEH-P740MP off ebay about 2 1/2 years ago... came quick, bought cheap, brand new... still works!

Marinessgt
08-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. My wife sells alot of stuff on ebay and has almost a 100% rating with over 1200 sells. I have bought all of my car audio off of ebay and have had nothing but awesome luck. The only store i will not buy from again is highdesertaudio which the factory refurbished store for rockford i was burned pretty bad on a x6. But it all worked out in the end. I just will not buy from Rockford again. and it is due to their customer service department.

JimJ
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
i've actually been screwed more times off Ebay than on it...oh well.

unrealii
08-10-2004, 03:17 PM
I dont know where this feature went, but there used to be something where you can search for items in your own area. I did this, and found a few local shops which were selling on ebay. I went in the store and I could pick up the items at the ebay price and not have to worry about getting the wrong item or from a non-authorized dealer.

60_cent
08-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I bought my CDA 9835 from ebay and saved over $150 bucks.

I recieved the HU in 3 days and was the first on the block with the new CDA 9835. I have the unit a full two weeks before it hit local stores out here in GA.

I would highly recommend buying on ebay. It's not ebay itself that is the problem, it's some of the scam artists that lurk on there. I would suggest bidding from a dealer that is sell on ebay with a near 100% postive feedback. Also check to see what items he sold to get the postive feedback.

Dragonknell
08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
i've bought tons of stuff on ebay;

Audiobahn Sub (AW1500q) 200$ off MSRP, brand new, in box unopened with warranty (77$ shipped)
audiobahn amp (A8000t) 190$ shipped, retail price around double
Bought a brake light decal 9.90$ shipped, came next day
Bought A 4 gauge wire red 15$ shipped, 40 ft (high qualty)
a custom motherboard from japan (40$) smaller than laptop ones used
mobile p4 2.0 laptop processor 50$ used
512 mb pc2100 ram 25$

too much too list, only had one problem with a poster i bought for 6$ accidently left feedback before person shipped item, they havent shipped yet 1 month later, dont really care enough to press it, and get my item.

I highly suggest ebay
i always figure even if the item breaks 2 months later, i've saved enuf, where i'd buy it again and still save money :)

EBAY :thumbsup:

Scarenius
08-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I'd say go for it.
Personally I buy lots of cheap junk on ebay without thinking, the only time I've been screwed over was buying a Legacy LA120 240 watt amp. The **** things are built with only a 12 watt chip inside and only one channel worked. The company called "sell2all" wanted more for shipping to repair it than I spent on the amp itself, and wouldn't reply to my emails.

The more you buy off ebay, the more comfortable you get, the more you save. Sure, you get ripped off sometimes, but in the end, the first time you save $150 on a cheap finger armor set for halloween and find that coveted Squee! comic book that doesn't sell anywhere in a 4 hour drive from your house for a few buck cheaper than retail, you realize it's worth it.

Depression
08-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Well as I said in another post I "ALMOST" got screwed on Ebay but overall I have saved alot of Money and have had no nightmare stories, just success.
PERSONALLY My philosophy is that I prefer to buy from private sellers than "discount" stores.

For Example..I just got a Pioneer DEH9400, slightly used but bought from Circuit city 2 years ago...I got it for a steal but the point is I would rather buy that then the "refurbished"deal..I trust the "people" more than the companies. I noticed a Pattern with those Audio internet store types.
If you have "low" feedback the odds of them screwing you is higher.look for yourself..it's eerie! They always screw the guy and then claim he's a NEWBIE!!

Overall EBAY is the greatest threat to Retail stores who make 150% on Audio components..they hate it!
Have you ever seen the look on a guys face at a Audio store when you tell him what "you" paid..then they start that crap about how "it's not the same product etc.."
Check my last purchase out
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5713326204&rd=1

Scarenius
08-18-2004, 11:37 PM
The guy at the local audio shop kept doggin' on my amp, since I bought it new online and saved a mere 10 bucks. The truth is, it's the best amp I own of 3.

`pr0digy
08-19-2004, 12:12 AM
I bought two amps and a HU (check sig) off of ebay, and everything was new, in box, and worked flawlessly. Saved 100's and even got a free amp wiring kit :p I bought the sub/speakers off thezeb and sounddomain for the warranties, price, and newness.

TooLowTooGo
08-19-2004, 12:43 AM
i dont like buying ram on ebay...lots of the ram sellers try to screw people, took at their feddbacks.
i agree, i bought things off ebay n prolly wont agian. i bought a flip down screen, came without the speakers workin. bought a mesh grill out of steel wich turned out to be made out of some cheap material u could bend.
y they have there prices soooo low? makes me wonder if there new or if there refurbished.

Depression
08-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Yea. Overall EBAY is great, But you can Get Screwed..It's a Gamble. I got A Fosgate 360A2 and a Pioneer Bandpass box with 1 10" for $40..threw it in my Girls 4runner and it sounds freaking amazing..the install cost her $125?

But as stated earlier..Audio Shop guys HATE EBAY.. You are almost better off telling them you had it in your old system.Don't dare tell someone you got it off EBAY, they will find something wrong with it! and won't shut up about selling you something of thiers!

At the same time I AGREE..if it's TOO good of a deal..it is.
Look at my first post on this..See!!
It's the online dealers that screw you..all private sellers "rarely" lie about thier products. I would rather buy "used" from a guy in Colorado that "New" from a Store in New Jersey

EFFENDI
08-19-2004, 05:04 AM
IVe never had a problem with ebay. check the seller's feedback and read the item description carefully and you cant go wrong x2

also, because most of these guys have little or no overhead, the savings goes to the consumer... ME!!! I love eBay. Best idea ever invented. If I were to have bought all my equipment from the local shop it would have cotst me 3 times as much. Plus all my stuff is new and warrantied, so what is the difference? Yeah be careful, if you are stupid enough to get ripped then you probably deserved it. Sometimes, yes, it is out of your hands...but thats why you do your research to avoid it in the first place.

EFFENDI
08-19-2004, 05:11 AM
i've bought tons of stuff on ebay;

Audiobahn Sub (AW1500q) 200$ off MSRP, brand new, in box unopened with warranty (77$ shipped)
audiobahn amp (A8000t) 190$ shipped, retail price around double
Bought a brake light decal 9.90$ shipped, came next day
Bought A 4 gauge wire red 15$ shipped, 40 ft (high qualty)
a custom motherboard from japan (40$) smaller than laptop ones used
mobile p4 2.0 laptop processor 50$ used
512 mb pc2100 ram 25$

too much too list, only had one problem with a poster i bought for 6$ accidently left feedback before person shipped item, they havent shipped yet 1 month later, dont really care enough to press it, and get my item.

I highly suggest ebay
i always figure even if the item breaks 2 months later, i've saved enuf, where i'd buy it again and still save money :)

EBAY :thumbsup:
even if you didnt get your poster do the rest of ebay a favor and report him. It doesnt do anyone any good to let scammers keep scamming. Ebay is built around an active community, if you arent active then you shouldnt be a part of the community. You get me?? I got scammed twice and recovered the money, but only because I went after it. And what happened to the sellers? They were kicked or unregistered....

Just goes to show you;
you get out of life what you put in..

Depression
08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Hell. Even the Fosgate 360A2 I got was a big risk..the guy had "good" feeback overall..but alot of Negs about producs being DOA..I wrote him and asked if he Amp was working..he wrote yes..for $25 I took a chance that not many other bidders were obviously willing to take but it's been working xlnt for 9 monhs???
There are some AMAZING deals..but you will get bit a couple times before you get them
I say "BE WILLING TO ACCEPT IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,BUT IF IT WORKS...YOU WIN!!!"

liyahsbrother2
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
i bought a KX1200.1 amp off ebay from an authorized Kicker dealer and it's refurbished with a 90day warranty so if soemthing goes wrong i can send it back but i have been burned on ebay before too and some people ship too **** slow and dont answer your emails, has anybody bought anything from a cmt trading or sumthin like that off ebay?

bikejunkie223
01-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I bought my 860 off ebay- turned out fine. Ipod controller- fine- mountain bike frame- fine, sold lots of stuff- all worked out fine- had one overseas douche rocket try to scam me with a bogus money order, but it was pretty obvious he was shady. Just use paypal so you have some buyer protection

Prowler573
01-10-2006, 03:16 PM
eBay - like any other online transaction with an unknown party - requires that the buyer be fairly diligent in researching their potential seller prior to investing any money. I am fairly picky about who I buy from on eBay and thus far *knock on wood* I haven't been burned a single time.

Does my experience equate to an assumption that it will never happen? Absolutely not. However, by being as careful as you can be it will greatly minimize the chances.

:slap: @ someone for bumping a 1.5yr old thread! :laugh:

playa1
01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
ebay is cool, ive spent alot of money on car audio on ebay :) All good experiences

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 06:18 PM
YEah ebay is fine

bimma85
01-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Gotta be careful who ya buy from. Use your head and you'll be find. $150 seems like a pretty shady deal... too good to be true? http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-CDA-9833-AM-FM-XM-SATELLITE-RADIO-CD-CAR-STEREO_W0QQitemZ5848218074QQcategoryZ39755QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This one brought $200 shipped untested sold as is. I haven't seen a working one that went for $150, gl.