PDA

View Full Version : alpine cda-9835 VS. eclipse cd8454

jackson6
08-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Trying to decide between the alpine cda-9835 and the eclipse cd8454. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated as long as you have some kind of reasoning to back them up. Sorry I just don’t want to hear "alpine" or "eclipse cuz its better".

thanks,
Jackson

supa_c
08-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Eclipse cuz its better. J/K

EFFENDI
08-03-2004, 04:57 AM
Are you buying it for you or someone else? Which one do you like better, thats the one you should buy. No offense to you personally but I really hate threads like this. I notice by your 2 posts that you are new here.

I'll let you off the hook this time but dont keep posting crap like that (oh man, i dont know what I should buy....) or else you will end up on the 'Idiot List' (yes its real) If you are looking for right answers then ask the right kind of questions.

For example, " I am considering purchasing one of two headunits, Brand X Model 1 and Brand Y Model 3, I already know that they have these X features, I already know all their specifications, and whether or not they are compatible with my existing equipment. I have read the reviews and searched the forum for other posts related to these two units, so in essence I have nothing to ask really, since I already know what I am going to buy." <--- (see you don't even have to waste your time posting a thread like this...)

Do your research, read the reviews, make your own decision. I didnt buy my gear based on what someone else told me to buy. I spent 4 months researching and planning, building the system that I wanted to do. Am I happy with it, YES! Do I care what people think about it? NO!

Be original.

Good luck.

someone16
08-03-2004, 10:36 AM
imo u cant go wrong either way but i have HEARD that the eclipse 8454 is a better hu

jackson6
08-03-2004, 04:34 PM
EFFENDI I am hot asking you what one you like. I made this thread in hopes of a alpine fan and an eclipse fan would get in some kind of debate and in this case certain aspects would be pointed out for each deck. I then would come to my own conclusions on what one I will buy.

I am like you in doing research in each audio product I buy. I can assure you that not one of my car or home audio components was bought because I thought that someone liked it or told me that I should get it without any logic behind there reasoning.

the eclipse cd8454 came out just recently I did look around for some reviews but I did not find much out there So I decided post a thread in this forum because I figured that this might be one way of research. Instead of helping me out you threaten to put me on the "idiot list". I live in a town of a population of about 30,000 there is one car audio shop that is full of dumb asses(no help there). I also called the closest shop that sells eclipse (50mi away and a large phone bill with not much help).

As you can see the title of my thread reads: alpine cda-9835 vs . eclipse cd8454 not alpine cda-9835 or . eclipse cd8454. Like I said before I am not interested in what you or any one else thinks about the deck but if they can list some advantages one has over the other EX: i-personalize vs. e-iserve then I would be thankful.

Jackson

3.5Max6spd
08-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Eclipse fan here.....aside from the fact that the Eclipse doubles it in voltage 8v to 4v allowing you to set your gains on your amps lower (meaning less distotion)-the Eclipse has 55ohm low impedance in its outputs- no other HU's out there can compete in this category- when people reffer to it sounding cleaner, more musical -its due to these factors

the 8454 also gets you memory stick to hold MP3's and you can taylor/download your system settings onto it as well- IMO best HU money can buy

jackson6
08-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Thank you.

Jackson

EFFENDI
08-03-2004, 06:50 PM
If you dont care what people think then why ask? I am really confused by your response. You are contradicting yourself and what you are saying by contuing this charade. The only reason I care so much is that I just dont want to see another newbie end up on the list by asking dumb questions. In no way am I trying to threaten you, you got way to easily scared. I am just making light of something that you should do your best to avoid if you wish to be helped at all in this forum. Different members have different perspectives that I do, but I think that there is no substitute for educating yourself. From what you have posted so far, you are not capable of making decisions by yourself...maybe your parents didnt do a good enough job......by all means dont let me stop you but please take to heart what I am trying to teach you here.

What everyone would post to this thread are thinigs you should already know. like what 3.5MaxSpeed posted. If you have technical questions about the products then did you ever think about emailing the technical department of the manufacturer? Thats what I do, and more often than not the information they provide is more than enough to make a comparo. Do you think they would know anything about the various features? Do you think that with that knowledge you would be able to make comprehensive comparisons based on your own research?

bottom line,
You are not doing the RIGHT KIND of research by asking people to compare them for you. All that will end up in is people fighting and flaming over which one THEY think is better. Sparking that kind of debate tears forums apart, creates tension and ruins the reputation of many members. More important, you will walk away with nothing gained except sparking a pointless comparison that you could have made your own judgements on, based on your own information, opinion, and proper research. Don't you think that what you like better is more important than what someone else tells you is? You said so yourself that that is what you believe to be true, so why waste the time. Im sorry for making an example of you, and I apologize for picking on you if that is how you feel. I really just want to welcome you to this community and I hope that you learn a lot. Just be smart. I agree with you that most of them (shops) are retarded salesman that just want your money. But it takes a little more work than just calling the local shop....

In all honesty both of those units are excellent.

jackson6
08-03-2004, 08:39 PM
If you don’t care what people think then why ask?

There are certain aspects of these decks that cannot be fully understood by just reading the specs for each one EX: alpine's (i-personalize) and eclipse's (E-iserv) are both online "tuning systems". I called both eclipse and alpine to ask them about each of there "systems". They sound like the same thing. One has to be better than the other (eclipse I think but not sure). Now if someone where to state some facts on each set up then it would be more like an objective statement not what they think.

I think that there is no substitute for educating yourself

I agree 100% and that is exactly what I am trying to do here. I feel as though I am well educated on the topic but not to the extent of others in the forum. Have you ever gone into a car audio shop and played like a dumb *** to test the salesmen knowledge and based on his responses you will decide on weather or not you trust him? That is kinda what I am doing here. If someone is like "I have an alpine deck and it is sick!" and you look at his sig and he has listed: alpine deck, pyle subs, napa amp (1000 watts), napa mids, tweets from my boom box. and a quote"best stereo ever" are you going to trust him? On the other hand if someone posts:
Eclipse fan here.....aside from the fact that the Eclipse doubles it in voltage 8v to 4v allowing you to set your gains on your amps lower (meaning less distotion)-the Eclipse has 55ohm low impedance in its outputs see now that is an objective comment that could help me out in gathering and understanding what specs will have the most importance to me. I thought that was part of the point of these forums. To help people out weather noob or not.

What everyone would post to this thread are things you should already know. like what 3.5MaxSpeed posted. If you have technical questions about the products then did you ever think about emailing the technical department of the manufacturer? Thats what I do, and more often than not the information they provide is more than enough to make a comparo. Do you think they would know anything about the various features? Do you think that with that knowledge you would be able to make comprehensive comparisons based on your own research?

Yes I actually already knew what 3.5MaxSpeed posted and instead of email I called and each company was helpful but what about reliability or dishonesty in there specs ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712232292 400w rms right. each company was unable to compare the "internet tuning systems" looked on both sites an did not find much on each system so I thought that this might be a good place to get some advice on it

bottom line,
You are not doing the RIGHT KIND of research by asking people to compare them for you. All that will end up in is people fighting and flaming over which one THEY think is better. Sparking that kind of debate tears forums apart, creates tension and ruins the reputation of many members. More important, you will walk away with nothing gained except sparking a pointless comparison that you could have made your own judgements on, based on your own information, opinion, and proper research.

Why is that not the right kind of research? You really think that by getting in a little debate there is a chance that it will tear the forum apart. People join and view these things to learn and if someone got in a little debate it would be a good way to post a lot of useful info.

If someone is knowledgeable with these decks and is willing to give me an objective comparison I don't see the harm in that.

Jackson

bri487
08-03-2004, 10:09 PM
If someone is knowledgeable with these decks and is willing to give me an objective comparison I don't see the harm in that.

Jackson
one says alpine, the other says eclipse. generally the alpines will have more options, but i believe these both have time alignment, adjustable tilting faces, i dont know about the alpine, but the eclipse has a vacuum display, play mp3s the eclipse has a memory stick that you can fine tune your settings with. basically they do the same thing and you can make them sound pretty close to each other. you just have to consider what options are more important to you.

3.5Max6spd
08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
jackson....also keep in mind that supposedly Alpines sub outputs dont put out no where near 4v....I've heard this numerous times across various forums

I take it to heart when a member can take my advice- I too wish the internet and other perspectives were available when i got into this game 10yrs ago- it would've saved me a lot of money on the long run, knowing what things to look for other than cosmetics or the obvious- There is no doubt in my mind that the 8454 is in the top as far audiophile grade HU's, its going to be discussed 5-10yrs from now on these here forums what a great deck it was by the people that were able to experience it- you can built ANY system with it and never worry about it being your weak link

My annoyance with Alpine (although I still believe they are great decks) is that they have a gazilion 4v models across a pretty pricey range- having owned a few low line decks and one 9 series, (strait out of the box) only thing that separates them are cosmetics and bell and whistles-I could not tell the difference between them- but when I installed my 8v Eclipse, the second I inserted my first CD and piled on the volume without adjust anything and the EQ off it literally destroyed the perception I had of good quality sound- mind you that I was in a situation in which my dealer allowed me to plug in the HU, without a commitment to purchase- thank god for that opportunity, because I would be just like every other close minded person that thinks that anything over 4v doesn't create an audible difference in your system.

Eclipse has one 8v model, one 5v model, the rest are 2.8's- so you know what you are getting

I also encourage you to attempt to get together with some people and visit a few shops, I know my dealer was generous enough to get a few of his customers to swing through when I had a particular need to audition something

I hope you take my advice and others as well and come to a conclusion in which YOU are content that your $$$ went into the best that your $$$ could get you.

Good luck
Manny

EFFENDI
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah I understand what you are saying Jackson, you take it easy and I will too. I just hate seeing new members post threads like this. Listen to what both I and 3.5MaxSpeed are saying though... take our advice and come to a conclusion that YOU are happy with. You dont need us to decide for you. If both of the i-personalize, e-iserve etc. whatnot, are the same, than you can eliminate that as a deciding factor in your purchase. if they both do the same thing, then you need to move on to the next factor such as price, styling, etc.

jackson6
08-05-2004, 03:58 AM
Thank you 3.5Max6spd.

EFFENDI, I AM trying to come to a conclusion for myself. You see I look at a post like 3.5Max6spd's as a spec in the spec sheet of my mind. When I feel as though I have collected enough specs to swing my vote then that will be the day I buy a deck.

As I am collecting these "specs I am also doing my own research as well and I found out today that the i-personalize is not as good as the eclipse's E-iserv. The cd8545 comes with a Mic. that you plug into the deck and it also has a pink noise generator. So after you record the pink noise you send it to eclipse and you can adjust your xover and eqs online then upload this onto your deck. I guess the alpine system is like a recommendation based on the type of car you have like hatch or truck etc. One more "spec"

I don't want you to decide for me I just figured that if I could get some "inside info" ex:
jackson....also keep in mind that supposedly Alpines sub outputs don’t put out no where near 4v....I've heard this numerous times across various forums then I could gain more "Specs" that are not on alpine's or eclipse's web site or acquired from an email from them. With the gain of these"specs I might be able to cut down on my research so it decent take 4 MONTHS. Efficiency get it?

That is the kind of info that I am looking for.

I AM NOT ASKING YOU TO DECIDE FOR ME!

Look if you want to think that is my only goal (someone to pick out my deck for me) then go ahead and think that but I can assure you that is not my intension at all.

Jackson

Randy Savage
08-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Pick the cheapest. Take the extra money and spend it on external processing that will put the deck's processing to shame ;)

EFFENDI
08-05-2004, 04:53 AM
Thank you 3.5Max6spd.

EFFENDI, I AM trying to come to a conclusion for myself. You see I look at a post like 3.5Max6spd's as a spec in the spec sheet of my mind. When I feel as though I have collected enough specs to swing my vote then that will be the day I buy a deck.

As I am collecting these "specs I am also doing my own research as well and I found out today that the i-personalize is not as good as the eclipse's E-iserv. The cd8545 comes with a Mic. that you plug into the deck and it also has a pink noise generator. So after you record the pink noise you send it to eclipse and you can adjust your xover and eqs online then upload this onto your deck. I guess the alpine system is like a recommendation based on the type of car you have like hatch or truck etc. One more "spec"

I don't want you to decide for me I just figured that if I could get some "inside info" ex: then I could gain more "Specs" that are not on alpine's or eclipse's web site or acquired from an email from them. With the gain of these"specs I might be able to cut down on my research so it decent take 4 MONTHS. Efficiency get it?

That is the kind of info that I am looking for.

I AM NOT ASKING YOU TO DECIDE FOR ME!

Look if you want to think that is my only goal (someone to pick out my deck for me) then go ahead and think that but I can assure you that is not my intension at all.

Jackson
okay man go nuts with your specs....you obviously are missing the message im trying to get across here but thats ok. you can still do efficient research, im not trying to make work for you or extend the process, quite the opposite in fact. just know where to go to get your research from and it will go quickly. I provided you with some examples.....

please take the advice everyone and especially I have given you and continue your quest....on your own.

Have you heard of www.google.com?????

green_slip
08-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Alright, aside from the bickering, I tried to sort what's goin on (as far as the original topic) and here's what I came up with. I own the 8443 Eclipse model which is last years 8454..basically. The only difference I noticed between the two was the memory stick option and a few other sound options (although they didn't really help the overall SQ of the deck). I've yet to hear an alpine that sounds as good as the 8443 but that's only to MY ears and it's an opinionated comment but that's just what !I! think. The ONLY reason I would buy the new Alpine decks is because I have an ipod and the new Alpine's have an interface or whatever that is suited for the ipod. That being said, I will never actually buy an Alpine because IMO the eclipse is a better deck and with my ipod I will just get the belkin connector which allows ipod-in-car. Hope this is of some help and I also hope someone doesn't come flaming at me because I'm fairly new to car audio. Good luck.

eddiem67
08-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Well I owned an Alpine at one time and am now an eclipse fan, but for reason of SQ not features, I own the 8443 as well, the sound is natural, clear as a bell and thats whats important, yeah its got alot of extra feature, and thats a bonus for me! As for the 8V output, I believe test have shown that it put out 8V at max volume, who plays there decks at max volume? Still a great deck.

djdoughboy
08-13-2004, 11:59 PM
EFFENDI, don't be such an a$$... I think Jackson 6 is just trying to make the best decision for his system. If his post pisses you off, ignore it and let other people reply.

Go find yourself a hobby and quit jumpin' up on folks.

bri487
08-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Alright, aside from the bickering, I tried to sort what's goin on (as far as the original topic) and here's what I came up with. I own the 8443 Eclipse model which is last years 8454..basically. The only difference I noticed between the two was the memory stick option and a few other sound options (although they didn't really help the overall SQ of the deck). I've yet to hear an alpine that sounds as good as the 8443 but that's only to MY ears and it's an opinionated comment but that's just what !I! think. The ONLY reason I would buy the new Alpine decks is because I have an ipod and the new Alpine's have an interface or whatever that is suited for the ipod. That being said, I will never actually buy an Alpine because IMO the eclipse is a better deck and with my ipod I will just get the belkin connector which allows ipod-in-car. Hope this is of some help and I also hope someone doesn't come flaming at me because I'm fairly new to car audio. Good luck.
this is the kind of guy that gets my respect. he knows what he wants and what he likes. you will like that deck. i have it in one of my cars and i love it. it is one of the best eclipses i have used. it is really user friendly as well as you probably know from owning its previous model.

EFFENDI
08-14-2004, 05:18 AM
EFFENDI, don't be such an a$$... I think Jackson 6 is just trying to make the best decision for his system. If his post pisses you off, ignore it and let other people reply.

Go find yourself a hobby and quit jumpin' up on folks.
You have made one post? And you wasted it to say that? You are going nowhere fast if you are bringing it like that, your just another newbie to me and everyone else here. If you want to go making posts like that, well you're not helping anyones situation. Notice all the posts I made were in an attempt to help Jackson. My posts were helpful if the examples and directions I provided are followed. I am simply trying to make a point that he should do his own research. I gave him plenty of examples of where he can find more information.

However, without Jackson providing more detailed information as to his needs and making any reference to his existing equipment, he is essentially asking people to start a flame war. Which most likely will end up in him extending the time of his research and promoting uneeded dissention and humiliation upon forum members. I dont think that his post was the wisest to make. Without (everyone commenting) actually hearing both units for ourselves (those who he is asking to make the comparison for him - how lazy, and innacurate) an accurate judgement cannot be made. It all depends upon his personal preferences, which he made no mention of. Comparing specifications, which in essence is what he is asking us to do can be done quite simply by the use of a detailed amount of 'googling' and making your OWN comparisons.

Bottom line: There is no substitute for hard work. People want everything the easy way, and I dont belive that people are educated by providing answers, there is a process that should be learned here that I was trying to show. Well, if anyone here is as serious about their car audio as I am then they will understand this to be the truth.

Dj pudgynutz:

Of course he wants what is best for his system. So does everyone else. What are you, retarded? Based on what I have seen of your one post so far you have managed to make yourself appear to be so, and display a magnificent lack of reading comprehension and extremely poor communication skills.

So please dont waste your posts trying to insult me. Anyone can hide behind a keyboard. Bring something to this forum other than your uninformed opinions of me. There is a reason why this thread was inactive. Usually because the OP finds what they were looking for.

EFFENDI
08-14-2004, 05:37 AM
This whole thread is based on simple spec comparison which he could have made himself. See for you that Eclipse h/u is a better option. How is it in Jackson6s situation? Well we dont know because he asked for spec comparison, nothing more. Jackson made no reference to his existing equipment or how he plans on integrating it. I assume by now he has made a decision by following my suggestions and doing the homework. I also have to ask you why you say that you would never buy Alpine? Based on a sight unseen, sound unheard opinion? Or actual blind listening test comparison?

The flames will never die my friend.....you cant escape it.:readytog::blowup:

CP400M
08-14-2004, 06:13 PM
I have the eclipse 8454 and i couldnt be happier. It is a great unit and has tons of options. the alpine is a good deck too but i dont have any real expierience. I dont think you will go wrong eiother way. Eclipse has my vote

chubby
08-14-2004, 07:00 PM
....eclipse

lol

jackson your an ***

bigballer
08-15-2004, 06:16 AM
After reading an article by Eddie at installer.com on pre amp and output (http://www.installer.com/tech/preamp.html). I think some of you guys are making such a big deal over 8-volt preamp output from the eclipse. Before you go and discredit Eddie, visit his website and read his articles. I think some of them are a little outdated, but the fundamental ideas are still there. I wouldn't base my decision in choosing a HU because it has an 8-volt pre amp outputs versus the 4-volt pre amp outputs from similar competing models of different manufacturers.

To Jackson,
If I were to put down $400 for an HU, I would want something that looks great and sounds great. Personally, I think the Alpine CDA-9835 beats the Eclipse in the look department. The Eclipse just looks too stock, even though I know it will sound just as good as the Alpine if not better. If you like the flip-out dual face, I suggest you take a look at Pioneer DEH-P9600MP

JLCivic
08-15-2004, 11:12 AM
After reading an article by Eddie at installer.com on pre amp and output (http://www.installer.com/tech/preamp.html). I think some of you guys are making such a big deal over 8-volt preamp output from the eclipse. Before you go and discredit Eddie, visit his website and read his articles. I think some of them are a little outdated, but the fundamental ideas are still there. I wouldn't base my decision in choosing a HU because it has an 8-volt pre amp outputs versus the 4-volt pre amp outputs from similar competing models of different manufacturers.

To Jackson,
If I were to put down $400 for an HU, I would want something that looks great and sounds great. Personally, I think the Alpine CDA-9835 beats the Eclipse in the look department. The Eclipse just looks too stock, even though I know it will sound just as good as the Alpine if not better. If you like the flip-out dual face, I suggest you take a look at Pioneer DEH-P9600MP

True, pre out voltage shouldn't be the biggest factor in getting a deck(it drives me nuts when I see people saying "i must have 4 volt pre outs" when they really have no idea why they think they need that)...anyway, I think Eclipse makes a better sounding deck than Alpine. Now, what causes that(pre outs, better overall design, etc), I dunno. Also, in the past few years, Alpine's pre outs have not exactly been "great." Many have complained of weak sub pre outs on their alpines(I have seen many complaints on many car audio forums). Some think that the 04 Alpines have been improved, pre out wise, which is good for the consumer.

I don't see how the 8454 looks stock, really. It isn't a flashy deck, imo, but it does have some animation on the screen when it turns on, etc.

Some buy for looks, some buy for a combination, and some buy for performance. I am one of those who buy for performance.

We all have different tastes and priorities when it comes to buying decks. :D

saywhat?
08-15-2004, 11:37 AM
personally i would pick the eclipse deck, atleast my 3414 does everything i need it to do. i dont know much about the 8 series but i did play with one at a shop and the alpine i believe is harder to work with. get eclipse ...thats my opinion....another opinion i have is effendi should be on the list.

green_slip
08-15-2004, 03:01 PM
This whole thread is based on simple spec comparison which he could have made himself. See for you that Eclipse h/u is a better option. How is it in Jackson6s situation? Well we dont know because he asked for spec comparison, nothing more. Jackson made no reference to his existing equipment or how he plans on integrating it. I assume by now he has made a decision by following my suggestions and doing the homework. I also have to ask you why you say that you would never buy Alpine? Based on a sight unseen, sound unheard opinion? Or actual blind listening test comparison?

The flames will never die my friend.....you cant escape it.

If you re-read one of the very first posts you will see that the starter of this thread just wanted some eclipse fans and some alpine fans to debate the pros and cons of both decks. He did NOT want a simple spec comparison...re-read the topic. That being said, your first couple sentences need to be thrown out the window. He made no reference to his other equipment because he apparantly either A. has all of the other equipment or B. is starting right where he should, with the H/U. As for me never buying an Alpine deck..I HAVE actually done side by side testing with the same equipment/same car and to MY ears, as I said in my previous post, the Eclipse wins in SQ. Although both decks are astheticlly (sp?) I would have to say the Alpine does look slightly better.

Conclusion: If your interested in performance try to listen to both decks in comprable settings, if not, choose based on which features you like and what looks best to you. Enough of this thread unless someone would like to debate why they think Alpine is a better deck. If not, let's let it rest there's enough information here for him to make a wise decision.

EFFENDI
08-15-2004, 04:48 PM
If you re-read one of the very first posts you will see that the starter of this thread just wanted some eclipse fans and some alpine fans to debate the pros and cons of both decks. He did NOT want a simple spec comparison...re-read the topic. That being said, your first couple sentences need to be thrown out the window. He made no reference to his other equipment because he apparantly either A. has all of the other equipment or B. is starting right where he should, with the H/U. As for me never buying an Alpine deck..I HAVE actually done side by side testing with the same equipment/same car and to MY ears, as I said in my previous post, the Eclipse wins in SQ. Although both decks are astheticlly (sp?) I would have to say the Alpine does look slightly better.

Conclusion: If your interested in performance try to listen to both decks in comprable settings, if not, choose based on which features you like and what looks best to you. Enough of this thread unless someone would like to debate why they think Alpine is a better deck. If not, let's let it rest there's enough information here for him to make a wise decision. Look at Jackson6s posts"
If someone is knowledgeable with these decks and is willing to give me an objective comparison
Like I said before I am not interested in what you or any one else thinks about the deck but if they can list some advantages one has over the other EX: i-personalize vs. e-iserve When it all boils down to it, he is asking for a simple spec comparison. I think you need to go practice your reading comprehension before I do. It doesnt matter what he initially asked for. The answer he was looking for is in spec comparison. Explain to me how you compare various headunits without looking at specifications at all? Look at all the threads which made reference to the pre-out voltage. That is clearly spec comparison. Now explain to me how this thread is not about spec comparison?

Also, with no support of fact, or or documented testing, most of the statements others have made here can also be thrown out the window as well. Most of the people posting do not have any first hand experience with either model, and in fact make that fact very clear in their posts, and therefore are making biased statements that make a judgement very difficult. That isnt the proper way to come to a conclusion. Green_slip, if you have compared both of these units, then please, provide some documentation other than what you "think" sounds better. What you 'think' sounds 'good' or has 'better SQ' might not sound 'good' to someone else, those are all subjective statements. These statements dont help anyone without them hearing for themselves and making their own judgement. In Jackson6's case, it is not simple for him to do this. SO, I provided him with numerous avenues by which he can come to his own conclusion. Which Jackson6, can easily do this himself. I made an effort to try and teach him, seeing as he was a new member to this forum. Now I admit, my statements are misplaced. Yes, they are off topic, but not unrelated. I am simply trying to point the man in the right direction to get a simple answer for himself.

Notice that Jackson6 hasnt posted to this thread in some time...he, most likely, is off doing his own comparison, so that he can come to a valid conclusion, based on his own judgements, and not based on the loose opinons and statements of other people.

I keep saying it but it just doesnt sink in, "there is no substitute for hard work" If you want answers you dont just go and ask for them, its like cheating on a math test, that is the easy way. You may get what you wanted but you didnt learn anything and you wont retain any knowledge, or learn any process. Didnt any of you go to school? I swear.....if anyone belongs on the idiot list it those people who dont understand the root of what I am trying to get across. Im sure the majority of the members of this fourm that share the same level of knowledge and passion for car audio as I do would agree.

p.s. is is properly spelled "aesthetically"

EFFENDI
08-15-2004, 05:02 PM
personally i would pick the eclipse deck, atleast my 3414 does everything i need it to do. i dont know much about the 8 series but i did play with one at a shop and the alpine i believe is harder to work with. get eclipse ...thats my opinion....another opinion i have is effendi should be on the list.
saywhat? if you are going to criticize my statements then break them down by statement and prove me wrong on each point that i make. Otherwise, your opinion is reasonless, irrational, and void. You as a person are as well. If you are joking - then wow you succeeded in the delivery. You sure managed to get a laugh out of me, but not for your pointless reccomendations.

EFFENDI
08-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Eddie is a great guy, I used to talk to him way back in the r.a.c days. He is still active but he has gone a bit looney since the early 90s. He has some great articles which really make you think about things. I like the fact that the statements and reccomendations he makes are based on documented testing.

TheAnswer808
08-15-2004, 06:19 PM
go with the eclipse its easy to use and the sound quality is great. plus it has an 8v output.

Matador
08-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Eclipse cuz 8V, all digital, ESN & Mem stick & AUX built in, & just cuz better =D

green_slip
08-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Green_slip, if you have compared both of these units, then please, provide some documentation other than what you "think" sounds better. What you 'think' sounds 'good' or has 'better SQ' might not sound 'good' to someone else, those are all subjective statements. These statements dont help anyone without them hearing for themselves and making their own judgement

Read my post to clearly see that I made an effort to give MY own opinion on the two decks. Of course my statements are subjective, so is everyone else's in this thread. Most of us don't have time to sit down for a day and document everything we test between two h/u's. Also, as he said in one of his earlier posts, he just wants some opinions on why the specs of one deck are better than the other. I clearly gave him my honestly opinion on both decks (although I didn't go into great detail on the specs of each). Have a nice day.

EFFENDI
08-17-2004, 02:48 AM
Read my post to clearly see that I made an effort to give MY own opinion on the two decks. Of course my statements are subjective, so is everyone else's in this thread. Most of us don't have time to sit down for a day and document everything we test between two h/u's. Also, as he said in one of his earlier posts, he just wants some opinions on why the specs of one deck are better than the other. I clearly gave him my honestly opinion on both decks (although I didn't go into great detail on the specs of each). Have a nice day.
You still missed the point but I hope you have a nice day too.http://www.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

60_cent
08-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Alpine........^^^^^

saywhat?
08-17-2004, 10:10 AM
dumb^^^^^^ eclipse is better period......i got to play/listen to the eclipse deck and the alpine deck, the eclipse in my eyes looks better than the alpine. eclipse will always have better quality sound.....if u plug them up to speakers head unit vs headunit on the same speakers......Sound Quality is Sound Quality is Sound Quality....it doesnt matter what ears hear it, if it sounds better on the speakers the guy loves......the HU will sound better in that area...if u plug it up to some silks....a guy that loves silks will pick the eclipse over alpine....a guy that likes metals will pick the eclipse over the alpine. thats how i see it.

hokee
08-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I just recently acquired and installed an Eclipse 8454. Looks great and plays mostly fine. I'm having lots of problems getting the HU to play WMAs. I download WMAs from Musicmatch.com. I then burn these to CDs which the HU should be able to play. Anyone have any suggestions or have similar problems playing WMAs??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

supa_c
08-22-2004, 04:00 AM
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I just recently acquired and installed an Eclipse 8454. Looks great and plays mostly fine. I'm having lots of problems getting the HU to play WMAs. I download WMAs from Musicmatch.com. I then burn these to CDs which the HU should be able to play. Anyone have any suggestions or have similar problems playing WMAs??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!make a new thread in the h/u section ;)

jaxsvt
08-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Jackson,

I too have the 8443. I purchased it from Tweeter after about a month of debating over "what I am really going to gain from it". I am very pleased with it's performance. Personally, it was the best thing I could've done to improve SQ in my car for the money. However, the only drawback I've seen so far are the fact that the owners manual is a small novel, and that they seem to have had some reliability issues as of late. In the past month Tweeter has had 3 returns because of faults including mine. My HU refuses to read cd's. It's been over 5 weeks now and still no HU. I'm not so sure it's Eclipse's fault though. Tweeter decided to drop the Eclipse and maybe that might be affecting the way Eclipse sends it's replacement parts to them... I don't know. So... I start looking for another HU. I find the 9835. Nice unit, very nice. About $130 more than the Eclipse... Here's what I've had a chance to find out about both...

Alpine - Nice looking unit with a very nice display. Cool graphics(not really important to me), Ability to read all formats, 5 band adjustable EQ, changing display colors(hell, if you want pink you can dial it in!), 4v pre-out - important in the fact that Alpine is the 1st company that I know of that is using the 2006 CES standards for measuring(kinda like max power vs. rms) so perhaps it won't suffer from the "Alpine" low bass volume, so on and so forth.

Eclipse - Not as flashy looking but it gets the job done, 1st display that I can actually see when the sun is on it!, probably just as many functions as the alpine in terms of sq adjusability, Parametric EQ - here's the kicker, not only is it a adjustable 5 band but it's also adjustable for low, mid and high.... so essentially a 15 band EQ, 8v pre-outs - note... It's 8v at max. My HU started distorting at volume level 74 of 80. And the measured pre-out voltage was clean only up to about 5v., 55ohm output.

My thought's - I like the Alpine but a couple features steered me toward the Eclipse. It does have a slight output voltage advantage over the Alpine.. so to fend off any unwanted interference that extra bit helps. The Parametric EQ was 3x more adjustable than the Alpine's. But the real deal maker was the fact that it has a 55ohm output. What that means is that the signal coming from the HU to the Amp is "virtually" un-impeeded. No other HU out there that I know of can come close to that.

If you want to spend alot more money you'll be looking at copper chassis, no internal amp, and possibly fiber optic. But IMHO the Eclipse is the best "analog" HU out there.

Hope this helps...

Jack
Eclipse 8443
Boston Z6
JL 450/4
Alpine Type-X 12's x 2
Alphasonik PMA1200D

adam71
08-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Pick the cheapest. Take the extra money and spend it on external processing that will put the deck's processing to shame ;)

Probably the smartest comment I've seen in this entire thread. :thumbupw:

adam71
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
dumb^^^^^^ eclipse is better periodeclipse will always have better quality sound.....Sound Quality is Sound Quality is Sound Quality....it doesnt matter what ears hear it, if it sounds better on the speakers the guy loves.............a guy that loves silks will pick the eclipse over alpine....a guy that likes metals will pick the eclipse over the alpine. thats how i see it.

These ARE your opinions right??? I sure hope you're not trying to pass these BOLD statements off as facts are you?? :suave:

adam71
08-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what these 2 decks retail for ???

JLCivic
08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know what these 2 decks retail for ???

9835 retails for $549
8454 retails for $599

adam71
08-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Ok JLCivic.......I know that the 9835 isn't Alpine's flagship (that being the CDA-7990) but is the 8454 Eclipse's flagship or not??

JLCivic
08-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Ok JLCivic.......I know that the 9835 isn't Alpine's flagship (that being the CDA-7990) but is the 8454 Eclipse's flagship or not??

Well, last year's CD8053(still listed as an 04 model...I think they just had some 8053s left over so they put them in the 04 price list) would be their flagship deck. I don't know how many, if any, of them are still available though.

The 8454 is a little more expensive(plays mp3, has eiserv, etc). The 8053 has no internal power and has the option for balanced lines. I just sold my 8053(fantastic deck) when I bought the RF8250.

The 9835 is about as high as Alpine goes though unless you are gonna pay thousands for the F1 status.

rotoboy661
09-02-2004, 04:43 AM
ALPINE!!!! i just got mine 2day for my bday for my FD below...oo BTW im new

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rotoboy661/alpinecda9835002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rotoboy661/alpinecda9835001.jpg

mike

InstalledStereo
09-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Hello there, whattup whattups. I really think the CDA 9835 is wak. Personally, I think the economy ***** and Alpine realized that. The reason is because the only thing GOOD about the CDA 9835 is the fact that it plays mp3s. $550 retail.

CHECK OUT:

CDA 7969 FIRST

CDA 7894 it's MP3 capable

Models I think are equal to the CDA 9835 or better in terms of looks and display. Buy these, purchase a changer, and you're ok.

CDA 7893 Silver Faceplate Blue White Display Motorized
CDA 7897 Phantom Face Awesome
CDA 7998 Same display as the CDA 9835 but way cooler
CDA 7875 Silver Face
CDA 7864 Silver Face/Blue Buttons Awesome 4color display Competition model
CDA 7863 Black Face/Green Buttons Awesome 4color display Competition model
CDA 7862 Black Face/Green Buttons Awesome 4color display Competition model
CDM 7861 Black Face/Green Buttons Blue White Display

EVERY single model I've mentioned just now is motorized and they're alpine's past decks. These are all a couple hundred less and look about the same or cooler then the CDA 9835.

rotoboy661
09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
dude i paid 370 shipped for my 9835

and this is the 1st time alpine made the illumination of the buttons amber or green(like usual)

and the key pads also can be changed to multiple colors, contrast can also be alter so different color combinations are available

AND NO THE 9835 IS NOT "WAK" u just cant afford it! lol

Shinobi
09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Eclipse 8454 > Alpine 9835 , Eclipse have way better quality 24 bit DAC's 30 band on board EQ if im nto mistaken overall Eclipse kicks alpines *** .

adam71
09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Eclipse have way better quality 24 bit DAC's 30 band on board EQ if im nto mistaken overall Eclipse kicks alpines *** .

Not to start a debate or anything but what about Alpines F1 Status flagship CD receiver CDA-7990?? That has 24 bit Burr Brown DACs as well. The Eclipse has a 13 band on board graphic EQ and 2 parametric EQs (NOT A 30 BAND). I know there is huge price difference between the Alpine 7990 and the Eclipse 8454 but to say Eclipse kicks Alpine's *** isn't entirely true because Eclipse doesn't make a deck in the same category as the 7990.

I do however, have to give Eclipse major props on their feature that allows you to save your system settings onto a "magic gate" memory stick so if you lose power you can just stick in the memory stick and reset all your eq, xover, fm presets and other user preferences back to where you had them. Excellent idea.

Shinobi
09-06-2004, 05:30 AM
yea the F1 status system is better then the eclipse but as you said nto even same catagory beside that **** system is near 4g's , im sorry but i'll never spend that much on a H/U even if i was rich . The 30 band H/u I was thinking of the Pioneer DEX-P9 with the DEQ-P9 its hard to remember all that crap hehe . But reason i said what i said about eclipse kicking alpines but is b/c if you put any model eclipse close up against any alpine in the same price range im sorry but eclipse wins IMO. I do however love the new Pioneer DEH-P860 like you have very nice deck there.

Bavarian3
09-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Not to start a debate or anything but what about Alpines F1 Status flagship CD receiver CDA-7990?? That has 24 bit Burr Brown DACs as well. The Eclipse has a 13 band on board graphic EQ and 2 parametric EQs (NOT A 30 BAND). I know there is huge price difference between the Alpine 7990 and the Eclipse 8454 but to say Eclipse kicks Alpine's *** isn't entirely true because Eclipse doesn't make a deck in the same category as the 7990.

I do however, have to give Eclipse major props on their feature that allows you to save your system settings onto a "magic gate" memory stick so if you lose power you can just stick in the memory stick and reset all your eq, xover, fm presets and other user preferences back to where you had them. Excellent idea.
yea that f1 status deck is totally in the same price range as the 8454

JLCivic
09-06-2004, 08:57 AM

and given the level of performance Eclipse offers for $550-$600, I would love to see what they could do in a $2500-$3000 deck(and then add a processor that costs a few thousand).

adam71
09-07-2004, 12:25 AM
yea the F1 status system is better then the eclipse but as you said nto even same catagory.

That was precisely my point. Alpine makes a very high end deck where as Eclipse does NOT. Thats all I was trying to get a across. :)

adam71
09-07-2004, 12:26 AM

Did you even read the post you quoted?? You'll see that I pointed that fact out.

XDrkmanX
12-25-2004, 12:10 PM
What's the difference between the 8443 vs the 8454?

JLCivic
12-25-2004, 06:15 PM
What's the difference between the 8443 vs the 8445?

I assume you mean "8454." The big difference is the 8454 plays mp3s without the need for the commander advance unit. It also has the Eiserve(like an auto eq feature) and memory card. IMO, if you don't care much about mp3(like me), and you can find an 8443, save the $$$ and buy that(or, even better, an 8053).

desertheat
12-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Well GLAD to see this post. I am in the same boat right now looking to purchase either the same alpine or eclipse. I have always been an alpine fan and not a fan of eclipse for I used to sell them back in 00, I know they have come a long way but the older units left a sour taste in my mouth. I am totally open now and I actually think the eclipse looks more classie which is a value I always admired from alpine.

I myself just sold my beloved 7949 which actually was a good generation and had 4v preouts actually tested at 5v so it is sad to see alpine has lowered the voltage... can anyone confirm the drop for sure on the 9835..?

Since I am looking at both units equally I do like some of the features of the eclipse over the alpine but in my case I happen to have a 215ix pg 15band eq / 24db crossover / 8v line driver so I only run it all off the front preouts anyways so the sub preout is not used. This makes me lean the way of the alpine.

Last thing that is a killer point of the alpine "even though I have no use for them" is the MASSIVE built in amp for the deck. 26wrms is freaking amazing out of a head unit and is certified at 26wrms!!! What makes that spectacular is most of the audio world that run an after market amp do not run much more than 60-75w to the mids. On paper 60-75W sounds like allot but is only about 3db more peak than the decks built in power! Now that is cool. Also crossed over at 50hz or so highpass really lets your mids jam at that wattage...

I still have a few days to make my decision and again am open to both decks but right now the alpine has my nod.. I really like the xm features, always loved how ai net works and the ipod tuner. Also I use an alpine class d monoblock for my subs so it connects direct to the deck for 100% control of all of the amps features! Totally cool.