PDA

View Full Version : 8-10" Midbasses for 3x15" XXXs

Omarvelous
08-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Was just curious as to which midbasses u think would perfectly complement

3 15" XXXs and about
2 sets of XXX/Koda Comps in the front and 1 set in the rear

You think the RE 8" could be used as a woofer?

Let me know what u guys think.

EFFENDI
08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah the RE8"s are generally used as subwoofers. I havent heard much about them being used as a midbass although I am sure they would perform incredibly. Its funny you mention that you are interested in that because I am looking for a pair to do a front console install in my suburban. Just to get the bass up front and a little more punch. The 15" Brahmas are absolutely sick but they just dont get as high, plus I am using the MA HK4000D which low-passes at 200HZ, so anything above that is a little quiet. Im still waiting on the CDT components so we'll see if that is needed after I get it all installed. I heard the Kodas dont need extra midbass at all. I am looking at a pair. What did you pay/are going to pay for them?

Omarvelous
08-02-2004, 06:42 PM
LOL Got the Tahoe, and was ALSO thinking about replacing the stock sub in the console with an 8" RE, BUT with the 3 15"ers i prob won't need that cause the 1 12 i have now is a monster.

I'm going to wait for the XXX comps, see if they can live up to the Koda Comps...

I would go for the Koda Midbass/Midrange, but if a 8" would be louder i'd prefer that.

I think the Kodas are 350$ each, will be buying 3-4 sets so if i can get them for 300$ that would be great, although all good comps that i know of start at 300$ so i guess even 350$ ain't bad.

ShakinSupra
08-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I really don't know how the RE8 would act for midbass, I've heard they get real low, and are really only made for sub bass. I recently bought a used ID8 for midbass, but it was definitely a sub. It sounded great playing midbass frequencies but was real quiet, so I cranked up the gain trying to get some more out of it, clipped waves, and blew it. I've never used the RE8, but I have a feeling you would have a similar experience, probably doesn't have a lot of output in the higher frequencies.

Now I've got a pair of Kicker RBM8, 8" midbass drivers on the way. They should be much better for the job, plus they kinda match my sub.

squeak9798
08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Go big or go home; Get some 10s :)

I have a pair of Illusion Audio ND-10s that are going in my doors as soon as I get the time to fiberglass.

Omarvelous
08-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Go big or go home; Get some 10s :)

I have a pair of Illusion Audio ND-10s that are going in my doors as soon as I get the time to fiberglass.

Do u have experience with 10"ers? If so what brands?

Infinite baffle or enclosed when dealing with 10"ers?

Do you think a 6.5" midbass could match up to a 10" midbass?

squeak9798
08-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Do u have experience with 10"ers? If so what brands?

Not alot. This is going to be my first attempt at it. But, some brands that make 10s that work well as mids are Illusion Audio (out of production), Morel, PHL....there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

Infinite baffle or enclosed when dealing with 10"ers?

Just like with anything else, that is speaker dependent. My ND-10s are going to be in an enclosure, but that doesn't mean all 10s will need to be in an enclosure.

Do you think a 6.5" midbass could match up to a 10" midbass?

Huh?

Omarvelous
08-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm trying to see how much of a difference a 10" Midbass would be compared to a 6.5", like the Koda by Adire audio.

My logic is the bigger generally the louder, like it is for subs. Is that necessarily true for mids?

squeak9798
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Yup. Larger mids will (generally) have more excursion, more cone area and higher power handling. What this means is that the larger mid will be able to play at the same volume level as the smaller sub with less effort, hence less distortion. Plus they'll be able to get louder overall.

Now, I don't know how something like the XXX mids with crazy excursion will compare to a larger midbass. Gonna have to wait till those come out.