PDA

View Full Version : Focal Utopia Right Tweeter Dead. HELP

linksyz
07-31-2004, 12:57 AM
I've noticed tonight that my right tweeter wasn't producing any sound, so I balanced it to the right side and I could only hear midbass and no tweeter. I've checked wire connections in the crossover and everything is still in there, so is the wire to the amp. Could it be that my tweeter is blown, even tho I never played the speakers at more than 100 watts which is their recommended nominal handling. I'm guessing wire got messed up somewhere, I checked all the visible spots without having to take all the plastics out and everything looked fine there. What is the tool that I can use to check is the cable alright, or do I have to take my door apart, take the routed wire out, buy new wire and see if it works with the new wire. Can you guys please help me?

Thanks

supa_c
07-31-2004, 01:25 AM
fiddle with the crossover components. it might work !
my crappy boss components mid cut out cuz the crossover components ****.
i just fiddle with them and they work.

boister77
07-31-2004, 01:30 AM
unplug the tweeter from the crossover and test it with a dmm. if the reading is zero, then it's blown. if it has a reading >0, then it's most likely not blown. if the reading is >0, check to see if it's the fuse in the crossover if it has one.

supa_c
07-31-2004, 01:34 AM
unplug the tweeter from the crossover and test it with a dmm. if the reading is zero, then it's blown. if it has a reading >0, then it's most likely not blown. if the reading is >0, check to see if it's the fuse in the crossover if it has one.the more technical approach

linksyz
07-31-2004, 01:37 AM
you cant compare boss xovers to focal utopia 165w xovers. i dont know how to play with them to see wuts wrong... imma take the door apart tomorrow and check if the tweeter is connected to the wire. im hoping thats the problem

supa_c
07-31-2004, 01:40 AM
woah. chillax.
where do you see that i compared my boss to focal ?
maby a loose connection is your problem.

linksyz
07-31-2004, 01:41 AM
sorry bro, im just lil pissed :( yeh ill take the door apart tomorrow and check did the wires discconect

linksyz
07-31-2004, 01:47 AM
booster: what if in the doors there is a loose connection between tweeter and wire then reading would be 0 too right?

linksyz
07-31-2004, 01:48 AM
could there be a way that tweeter blew even if i was always playing it on its recommended 100 watts?

boister77
07-31-2004, 02:07 AM
booster: what if in the doors there is a loose connection between tweeter and wire then reading would be 0 too right?
which wire?

linksyz
07-31-2004, 02:20 AM
which wire?

speaker wire going from xover to tweeter. tweeter came with about 6 inches of wire and i connected that with 12awg speaker wire