PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/4 Alpine or Infinity?

Parisi
07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Ok guys, so i need some major help here :( deciding wheter i should go with a Alpine or Infinity pair of speakers to complement by 12' JL Sub in the trunk (Powered by an Alpine Mono Amp if you must know) + 2 x 6x9 4 Way Pioneer speakers in the back, and since im sorta of a newbie i think this would be the perfect place to ask for help.

I previously had some el cheapo Pioneers in the front replacing my factory speakers (on a Buick Century 98') and honestly they sounded like **** :blow_up: so this time iv decided to try something different and narrowed it down to these two choices:

Alpine 5 1/4" Type-S Series 2-Way Speakers $89 at Circuit City

or

Infinity Reference 5 ½” 2-Way Speaker $99 at Circuity City

There was also the third choice which i chose not to include, Polk 5-1/4" 2-Way also for $89, not too sure about that one, but I'll also consider it.

My receiver is a Pioneer DEHP2600 which will be powering all 4 speakers on its own for the time being, so im not really expecting any miracles as far as loud sound goes, just the best sound for my money.

Any help will be greatly apreciated and i have 5-6 more hours untill i run to my local shop to grab a pair of them, so hopefully ill get some constructive advice by then. (It's 7:41am here and i must get some sleep)

Oh btw, first post here :wave:

Thanks in advance :)

-Parisi

bigpeen
07-27-2004, 11:05 AM
I think it all depends on the following...

-does $10 really matter
-do you want either brand just for the heck of saying you have that brand
-will that 1/4 of an inch haunt your dreams for the next week

Well I would say the References...or mod the front doors and put some Infinity Kappa 6 1/s in there. As far as your deck...you should be fine.

By the way... prepare yourself for bias opinions.

3.5Max6spd
07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
i would put neither......there are much better coaxes out there

req
07-27-2004, 02:02 PM
can you name some for ~$100?

im interested in this as well.

i want descent speakers for my comps, but im not willing to spend a crapload of money.

i would like some with crossovers too... looking to get 50~100rms from each speaker.

any suggestions and\or places we should look to buy them? (ikesound?)