PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl or Asphalt sound deadening? Baffles?

js1
07-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I read dynamat could help sq a lot. I'm planning on putting in some sound deadening for my doors.
How much dynamat do I need use for each door in my expedition?
I found this at partsexpress.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=37&SO=2
What stuff do you use and or recommend? Is there a better/less expensive place to buy it?

I also saw some baffles and was curious how they affected sound and if it were worth putting in.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

-js1

ss3079
07-25-2004, 06:27 PM
I'd suggest one or two layers on each door. Probably around 12 or so square feet per door. Plenty.

www.b-quiet.com
www.secondskinaudio.com
etc.

It's all pretty much the same ... get the better deal on the stuff that fits your application best. Dynamat is expensive ... it works, but too expensive.

The baffles link didn't work for me :(

- Steve

js1
07-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the links. I just read that there is asphalt odor. How bad is it?
You can find the baffles by doing a search for it at partsexpress.

-js1

ss3079
07-26-2004, 01:29 PM
The asphalt odor is minimal with most asphalt-based materials these days. Sure, the first week you'll smell it ... it's not horrible, just drive with your windows down and it'll go away. If it gets really hot where you are, you might notice a little stench here and there.

It's been 90+ here for the past three weeks, and the Second Skin installed into my vehicle has yet to smell.

- Steve

js1
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I think Im going to go with the vinyl stuff for the doors and run the asphalt stuff in the trunk and rear quarter panels. It's going to be pretty hot in CA the rest of the summer and I don't want to smell asphalt in the truck. I also have some access to some of that 1" thick felt that I can use to further dampen things.

Anyone use the partsexpress stuff and thoughts on the how well it will work?

Thanks,

-js1