PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass strength question

RiceNotNice
07-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Ok-kind of an odd question but.....I'm building a fiberglass enclosure in my spare tire well. The problem is that i've forgotten how many layers i've layed (**** fumes!). I'm guessing it's around 2 layers of cloth and probably 4 layers of mat, again guessing. I took the thing out and stood on it without falling through (good sign). Is there any way to tell when an enclosue is strong enough. It's only for 1 sub recieving about 350 watts. **** Fumes! :wacky:

Acidburn
07-24-2004, 09:20 PM
how thick is it? i would think it's probably already good enough since you are only going to be running 350w to it

Strecker25
07-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Ok-kind of an odd question but.....I'm building a fiberglass enclosure in my spare tire well. The problem is that i've forgotten how many layers i've layed (**** fumes!). I'm guessing it's around 2 layers of cloth and probably 4 layers of mat, again guessing. I took the thing out and stood on it without falling through (good sign). Is there any way to tell when an enclosue is strong enough. It's only for 1 sub recieving about 350 watts. **** Fumes! :wacky:

im assuming, especially since you can stand on it, its probaby strong enough. You should just check for soft spots or spots especially on the more vertical sides where resin could have ran off the the bottom and left thin layers.

ss3079
07-24-2004, 10:19 PM
6 layers should be plenty for that enclosure.

If you stood on it, you should be fine. Check it over a couple times and see if there are places that could use a little more.

- Steve