PDA

View Full Version : 2-Way vs. 3-Way Diamond Audio Components?

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Okay, question for all you Diamond Audio owners out there, or anyone that can tell me the real difference between 2-Way and 3-Way components...

I'm getting a set of components from Diamond's M6 line. I don't know if it's really worth it to spend the extra money for the 3-way upgrade. I'm looking at the M661s, which is a tweeter and midbass and 2-way crossover. The 3-way adds a midrange and a 3-way crossover. So, is it worth the extra for the 3-Way upgrade? I'll be powering the components with a Zapco 750.2, and a 12" RE XXX to a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D. The head unit will be a Pioneer Premiere DEH-P960MP.

Also, the components will be mounted in custom kickpanels, if that helps, with no rear fill. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks!

adam71
07-22-2004, 09:53 PM
I once ran 2 way and now I run 3 way and it was the best upgrade I've ever made in my current system. When you have a dedicated mid-range AND a dedicated mid-bass it adds alot of detail to your music. It essentially lets your 6.5" focus on what it was really made for mid bass and a 4" can focus on upper mids. So to answer your question: if you have the room definitely go with a 3 way system. :) :cool: :nerd:

CP400M
07-22-2004, 10:47 PM
I would spend the extra money and upgrade to the Diamond Hex S600s

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-23-2004, 10:18 AM
The Hex's make my MP3's sound like garbage. Unfortunately, that's about 90% of my music right there. There's a fine line between speakers that make your MP3s sound good, and ones that make them sound like what they are: stripped and decoded digital versions of analog originals.

But yeah, I'm debating going with the 2-ways for now, but keeping my options open for the 3-way later. How's that sound?

squeak9798
07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
The Hex's make my MP3's sound like garbage. Unfortunately, that's about 90% of my music right there. There's a fine line between speakers that make your MP3s sound good, and ones that make them sound like what they are: stripped and decoded digital versions of analog originals.

How are the speakers responsible for making your MP3s sound like crap?? Sounds to me like what they were playing is the way the MP3 actually sounds (which is what we want our speakers to do, play exactly what they are given). The speaker doesn't know or care what format music you are using. Garbage in-Garbage out.

`pr0digy
07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
How are the speakers responsible for making your MP3s sound like crap?? Sounds to me like what they were playing is the way the MP3 actually sounds (which is what we want our speakers to do, play exactly what they are given). The speaker doesn't know or care what format music you are using. Garbage in-Garbage out.

That's pretty much what he's saying... Better speakers = more transparent = exposes flaws.

3.5Max6spd
07-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Dont expect the M6's to sound too diferent from the Hex's- share same tweet-same power handling- Hex's have a slight edge in mids- I now too many heads running Diamonds....lol some caraudio mag actually put the new CM3's as better sounding than the current M6's-

If you think about it- the M6's and Hex's 2way comps provide some what of a 3 way set up because their crossovers have a rear fill output- making their crossovers super flexible
You can bridge a 4ch or use a high power 2ch and let the crossover do the work distributing the power

But yes, If no custom work was involved, I'd prefer a 3way setup myself

plazman
07-24-2004, 09:58 AM
From what I heard, the m6's arent worth it.

m3 or hex.