PDA

View Full Version : bigger port more spl less sq?

diminishedpower
07-20-2004, 07:42 AM
is that right? if you increase your port size for a sub will it get sloppier or loose some accuracy??

xchaosx
07-20-2004, 03:49 PM
it's the bigger the box not port the port is just for tuneing

burtonsnow83
07-20-2004, 04:50 PM
it's the bigger the box not port the port is just for tuneing

not true!!! if you have say a 3 cu ft box and a port tuned to 33 hz, then you are going to have a nice sq/spl ration...BUT if you increase the size of the port you are raising the tuning of the box creating a sounds much more loose and sloppy,

burtonsnow83
07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
so yes it increases spl and lowers the sq

diminishedpower
07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
thats what i ment if two boxes were like lets say a 15 xxx saw 4 cubic feet ans both boxes were tuned to 33 hz but one ports cross area was 30 sqr feet and the other was 60, the one with 60 would be louder buit would it lsoe any of its sq? reason i ask is im trying to design a box for my 15 xxx and want to kno because i want some good sq but if i can increase the spl i want to.

helotaxi
07-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Theoretically you shouldn't lose any SQ, what you will have to deal with is the port length increasing exponentially with the increase in area to the point that the port will actually be larger than the box itself. Also once you get to a certain point the gain in SPL (only barely measuable and definitely not audible) will not be worth the size increase of the port.

helotaxi
07-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Higher but unless you have a really trained ear, you still won't hear it. Unless the group delay is really high (I can't remember the threshold but I want to say that it is around 20 ms and is frequency dependent, both the actual delay number and the threshold at which it is noticable) you won't notice it.