PDA

View Full Version : Transmission line box completed(pics)

Shyne151
07-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Well 4hours later, and after a night of letting hte liquid nails dry my box is completed. Definitly alot louder than the sealed box I had my cm3's in before....

http://images.project04.net/gallery/box - gallery to the pics

tomorrow I am going to carpet it.

Acidburn
07-18-2004, 08:55 PM
is that a TL or a ported with just a really long port?

Shyne151
07-18-2004, 09:01 PM
is that a TL or a ported with just a really long port?

TL=transmission line? if so then that is what it is.

Acidburn
07-18-2004, 09:12 PM
alrighty, wasn't sure, looks good though

Shyne151
07-18-2004, 09:26 PM
it sounds really good, for being the first box I've built.

Gauntlet
07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Looks good.

Don't carpet it.

Shyne151
07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Looks good.

Don't carpet it.

Please elaborate :)

adam002
07-18-2004, 10:28 PM
what is TL=transmission line?

Strecker25
07-19-2004, 01:08 AM
personally id like to know exactly how a tranmission line differes from a normal slot vented enclosure, i think its time to know since ive now built 2 of the "TL" enclosures. lol

Benny212
07-19-2004, 01:19 AM
personally id like to know exactly how a tranmission line differes from a normal slot vented enclosure, i think its time to know since ive now built 2 of the "TL" enclosures. lol

from "www.diysubwoofers.org"
"The transmission line system is a waveguide system in which the guide reverses the phase of the driver's rear output, thereby reinforcing the frequencies near the driver's Fs. Transmission lines tend to be larger than the other systems, due to the size and length of the line required by the design. The payoff is an extended low end response and a characteristic sound that's appealing to many"

"A ported enclosure system consists of a driver mounted on one side of a box that has an open tunnel or port which allows the passage of air in and out of the box. At low frequencies, the vent contributes substantially to the output of the system.

The ported enclosure system is characterised by lower distortion and higher power handling in the system's operating range, and lower cutoff frequency than a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. Distortion rapidly increases below the cutoff frequency however as the driver becomes unloaded, and the transient response of a ported enclosure system is usually inferior to that of a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. However, the lower cutoff frequency and better power handling within the system's passband often makes ported systems the alignment of choice for many speaker builders.

Ported enclosure systems are much more sensitive to misaligned parameters than sealed enclosure systems, which makes their construction more difficult for the beginning DIYer. I advise that you don't attempt to build these systems, unless you're certain that the T/S parameters for the driver that you want to use are correct. "

there ya go, hope that answered your question, follow the links on that page if you have any more questions or would like to learn about TL enclosures

Jesse98
07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
where did you get the demensions for that box, I got my TL cut sheet from Diamond and the internals look different.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/419000-419999/419064_43.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/419000-419999/419064_44.jpg
my boxes ^ I have two of them

Jesse98
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
That doesn't look like a TL enclosure ... TL enclosures use a tapered port ...

Do you have the .pdf file ?
the other guy did in the other thread about this, I dont I only have a paper copy faxed from Diamond, the are different though you can look at the pics and see, mine is supposed to be a TL, his looks more like a vented, but I know that the vented cut sheet is totaly differ so im really confused, Diamond usually ends of being differ from everyone so Im just going by what the tell me, sounds great so whatever mine is Im extremly happy, Its almost same as the Hooker Audio Prefabed TL boxes, and they say thiers are TLs.

`pr0digy
07-19-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm seeing some nice boxes, but not TL boxes... Am I missing something here ?

helotaxi
07-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Not missing a thing. They are not TL boxes, just basic slot ported that have a really long port because of the small box volume and the relatively large port area.

JimJ
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
yeah, that's what I thought...

like my box, for example...only 1.5 CF volume, but the port looks like a maze to drop the tuning so low to 26 Hz.

bass_lover1
07-20-2004, 01:05 AM
That doesn't look like a TL enclosure ... TL enclosures use a tapered port ...

Do you have the .pdf file ?

There are Transmission lines and Tapered Transmission lines. I can tell you dont realize the point of a T/L box. I posted about this over on SD but I cant find it, and I'm not really in the mood to do it again, but if i must, ask and I will.

bass_lover1
07-20-2004, 01:27 AM
I can read too thanks :) I don't know where you or him got the idea that it was a T/L box, it does say VENTED enclosure right on it.

Also, if it were a T/L box the port would be much longer than 40 inches.

Shyne151
07-20-2004, 02:04 AM
All I can say is that is what they sent me when I asked for a transmission line cut sheet :)

Like I said it is the first box I have built on my own, it sounds good.... soooo that is all that matters in my mind :)

Sorry for the confusion guys.

ramos
07-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Hey now, I'm still learnin' to read :D

Here's a little snippet from someone's site ;)

http://momentum.soundillusions.net/october02/tech1.html :)

squeak9798
07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Just as an FYI; A "true" transmission line box probably wouldn't fit in your car. They are usually huge.

bass_lover1
07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
You can fold them enough times where they will fit, but generally yes they wont.

A true transmission line using a sub with an Fs of 30hz, would have to be IIRC 4.9-5.5 feet long.

Folded a few times it'll fit, but thats a lot of work to be done.

Also, if it sounds good to you thats all that matters, I'm glad you are happy.

helotaxi
07-20-2004, 11:50 PM
There are Transmission lines and Tapered Transmission lines. I can tell you dont realize the point of a T/L box. I posted about this over on SD but I cant find it, and I'm not really in the mood to do it again, but if i must, ask and I will.
Perfectly well realize the theory behind a TL and I also know that those aren't TLs.

bass_lover1
07-21-2004, 12:24 AM
I wasn't actually talking to you, but OK.