PDA

View Full Version : Problem with viper

Chevillac
07-18-2004, 03:51 AM
This month isnt my month for car audio. Anyway my viper 690xv remote died, therefor i couldnt disarm the alarm, therefor i couldnt start it. I tried everything, valet switch, disconnect the battery etc...... the last suggestion i got was to go through and unwire the alarm, now this all happened at 10pm. So if anybdoy has any other suggestions any help will be appreciated. I cant call directed because they are closed weekends, and the place that installed it is 5 hours away, and also closed on sunday. Im gonna try to call an audio shop in the morning but im trying to see what i else i can do to maybe save the hassle. Thanks in advance
C

jleecong
07-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Glad to see that DEI has problems just like the rest. (not glad, but everyone is so, DEI = no problems)

Is it the batteries (easy one)
You should be able to use the valet switch to disable it (you said you already tried)

I personally would find the main power runs for the alarm pull the fuses. Next you would have to "fix" the starter kill. You need to either find the relay that controls the starter kill, or rewire the ignition yourself without the relay.

Chevillac
07-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Actually at first the remote just start fading out, i noticed that when i was going into the movie theatre, but it still disarmed and armed the alarm. But then while i was watching the movie it just started beeping for no reason, like when you go into the program mode. then it completely turned off. i knew i was in trouble. When i got out to the car sure enough the ermote wouldnt work. So i opened it up to see if i could see anything, nothing. After i did that a few times it started looking normal, but when i pushed any buttom the alarm would not respond and the remote would do the beeping thing it does when you are too far away. but i was standing right next to it. I thought maybe that it was kind of like something in there that maybe sets it to be on the same hopping pattern as the brain in the car (like a garage door opener code) but i didnt notice anything. So im going back there this morning to see if i can "fix" the starter kill, a mechanic told me what to do so ill try it if that doesnt work, ill have to call somebody. Anyway thanks for the help. Oh it was a brand new battery in the remote too.
C
By the way its 690xv

rollinindasupra
07-18-2004, 12:59 PM
ok this is going to sound stupid but flick the little censor box thing because my friends would do that and all we had to do was flick the censor box or wutever it is...and that worked...so u should try that

Chevillac
07-18-2004, 01:03 PM
The shock sensor box? When i checked that there was no switch but i did umplug it because everytime i was trying to do something and would move the car it would go off and i was in the parking lot of the movie theatre so.... but yeah that didnt work But if you mean the main brain of it, i couldnt find it last night i really couldnt see anything or else i would have ripped that whole system out last night. Thanks though if i can find the main thing today ill try that.

6spdcoupe
07-19-2004, 07:07 PM
If you tried Valet override do you know what the installer had the # of presses set to? 1,2,or 3..

Im sure you know how, but keys in press one time (or 2,or 3) and release.

Do you have the older 690 remote? (white/grey) or the newer one (blue)? If the older one, then it is a very commonly known problem with DEI, theres a bad solder joint between the two boards. Your dealer should provide you with a new remote if you have had the system less than a year. Or you ould need to purchase one if longer than a year.

--Don

Chevillac
07-19-2004, 07:17 PM
If you tried Valet override do you know what the installer had the # of presses set to? 1,2,or 3..

Im sure you know how, but keys in press one time (or 2,or 3) and release.

Do you have the older 690 remote? (white/grey) or the newer one (blue)? If the older one, then it is a very commonly known problem with DEI, theres a bad solder joint between the two boards. Your dealer should provide you with a new remote if you have had the system less than a year. Or you ould need to purchase one if longer than a year.

--Don

Yeah it was set to 1, it worked the next day, not sure it wasnt working that night. also its the older white/grey one, i called the dealer and yo uknow what he told me......fidn teh nearest viper dealer, i was like they said they wont work on it if they didnt install it. Then I said all i need is a new remote. He's gonan call me back. But yeah ive only had this alarm for 2 months....im gonna call DEI later in a little bit, or wait til the morning. Thanks for the help
C

6spdcoupe
07-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah it was set to 1, it worked the next day, not sure it wasnt working that night. also its the older white/grey one, i called the dealer and yo uknow what he told me......fidn teh nearest viper dealer, i was like they said they wont work on it if they didnt install it. Then I said all i need is a new remote. He's gonan call me back. But yeah ive only had this alarm for 2 months....im gonna call DEI later in a little bit, or wait til the morning. Thanks for the help
C

Not a problem..

Im surprised they sold you the older unit. Ive been doing the newer 690s (blue remote/LED/etc) since about Jan/Feb.

Great customer service they have there...telling you to find another shop. :eek:

--Don