PDA

View Full Version : Listen to Lots of MP3s - Suggestions for 3-way components?

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey y'all... I'm new to car audio, but know my way around home and PC sound. Anyway, I listen to a lot of digital music, high quality stuff, and I'm replacing the system in my car. What are some good 3-way components that'll make my music sound good? I ask, because I know that most of the time super high end audio exposes MP3s for what they really are... Stripped and decoded versions of the analog originals.

Anyway, I'm been thinking putting in the Diamond Audio M651s and the M66.1mx3. I can't find a price on the latter, so if anyone knows one that would be great. Here's the rest of the system:

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P9600MP In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA/WAV Receiver w/ OEL Display
Front Components - Diamond Audio M6 M651s Tweeter and Midbass 5n1/4" Component Speaker System
3-way Upgrade - Diamond Audio M6 M66.1mx3 6" 3-Way Upgrade System - 3-way crossover/6" midbass
Front Component Amp - Zapco 750.2 2-Channel Amp with Dual Crossovers 2x175w RMS
Sub Amp - Hifonics BX 1500 D "Brutus" D-Class Mono Block Amplifier
Sub - Resonant Engineering XXX 12" Sub

So there it is. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm going for probably a 70/30 SQ/SPL mix here. Thanks

Chevillac
07-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Are you looking at any other head units, im having a very bad expirience with pioneer, anything that moves (flipout and foldowns) are having problems, a few people i know, also a few people in florida at audio stores and in maryland at audio stores i have talked to have had problems, some of them had problems right away. Mine (avhp7500dvd) last 5 months before it stopped opening right, then 6 month i had to send it in for services(jun 19th) since then i have had it for 2 days because they sent it back broken its still there now.....their customer service ***** too because for a while they didnt know where my head unit was.

And yes i am bitter

jleecong
07-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Funny I'm in Florida and have had my Pioneer DEH-P9200R since 12/28/00. Face folds down every time you turn the car off to remove it for security and folds down to insert a CD. Even been abused because it's right above my cup holder and sometimes I forget to remove the drink and the face just hits the drink, I hear it... grab the drink... everything still OK.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy.. (knocking on wood)

JimJ
07-17-2004, 08:27 PM
yay for not having usable cupholders...:)

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-18-2004, 01:56 AM
I've had good experiences with Pioneer equipment in the past myself, and this unit is really something special. It looks like something that I would have designed myself, which says a lot. But yeah, any suggestions on components?

adam71
07-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Me and 3 of my friends have been using Premier models Deh-p920, p930, p940, p860 and none of us have ever had problems with the moving parts. I have heard of the ribbion cable on the dual faced units having problems though I believe they were the Deh-P850MP and now the Deh-960MP but other than that it's been smooth sailing with Premier that I know of. :smash:

Chevillac
07-18-2004, 02:42 AM
whats the difference between the primier and the pioneer brand, its seperated even when you call the customer service. and its bad luck for me and my friends i guess, but still this has really pissed me off, i had to lose the worst part to lose of a system, the head unit, now i have a whole bunch of useless equiptment wieghing my car down.

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-18-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm kinda curious as to how you can break a head unit... Unless you're spilling stuff on it or bumping into it or something like that... Also, if anyone can find a review of the DEH-P960, that would be great! Thanks

Chevillac
07-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I didnt really break it actually when the gear broke and it stopped working, i was in teh field for a month it was just sitting there, first time i turned the car on, the screen came straight out then just flung all the open and slapped the dash then stopped. So i have no idea what that was about, the lens was the next thing to go, and thats when i had to send it in. I hit a bump in the city (baltimore) then no more sound and got an error. Then after they had it for 2 weeks i got it back and the first day i hooked it back up put a cd in it played, drove down the street, tried to eject the cd and it just started clicking then stopped, and that was it, the cd was stuck there and also the angle buttons stopped working. So i had to send it back after that weekend. and pioneer told me to send it back again and it would be rush fixed, then they lost it, then they said that they dont service it at pioneer anymore and that they had to send it to some other company, When i called the other company they said they wouldnt work on it until they had authorization from pioneer. Hmmm Why didnt pioneer authorize it, and why did that company call pioneer, were they just gonan keep it until i forgot about it? so its justt been sitting in california for the past 10 dayd for no reason and the new company said it would take another 10 days to fix it. and also the angle buttons stopped working. So i had to send it back after that weekend. My friend that had one, all the buttons on the face stopped working for some reason and the screen would sometimes go black. There was a few other problems from the audio stores but its not worth remembering or talkin about. Im just bitter thats all. Thanks for reading my rant

MonkeyBizIU1859
07-18-2004, 12:15 PM
****. Sounds like you got a bad unit. I've heard great things about Pioneer units otherwise.