PDA

View Full Version : box installed (pics)

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 01:14 AM
well i got my subs in my ported box and got her installed tonight...here's some pics
far view with center console down
http://www.shrapner.com/userfiles/pj_chevy03/Ported%20Box%20Installed%201
close view with console...very nice fit IMO
http://www.shrapner.com/userfiles/pj_chevy03/Ported%20Box%20Installed%202
well now my opinions on the sound...
with the volume barely turned up i listened to the radio a few a minutes, sounded basicaly the same as my sealed. so then i decided to pop in some Late Nite Tip. the bass hits and to be honest i was disappointed,seemd as if all the sound came out the ports on the lowest notes. sealed sounded way better that low.decided to pop in some lil jon so i put on the song "knockin heads off" and holy **** at the difference. never heard 2 sonys get that loud. then i tried "throw it up" same as last i was real impressed at the gain in volume.basically all i lost in my transistion to ported is a bit of low end and some major nasty port noise on the low end...port noise is fine as long as the song doesnt get extremely low such as late nite tip. still i believe i'ma get some sand papar out tommorrow and round the inside of the port at the top of the box out a lil more...thanx to Trixter for port dimensions

yamaha326
07-17-2004, 01:19 AM
links dont work................

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 01:39 AM
links work for me and the port is 2" x 4" and is 7.5" long which is 60 cu.in. of port area tuned to 32 hz

DBfan187
07-17-2004, 01:41 AM
links work for me and the port is 2" x 4" and is 7.5" long which is 60 cu.in. of port area tuned to 32 hzthat seems awfully familiar...

I thought you changed it?

WinISD's response graph/chart wasn't all that good whit the specs you gave me to use...

BIG_SUPERMAN72
07-17-2004, 02:02 AM
The fizzel got flow.

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 02:06 AM
that seems awfully familiar...

I thought you changed it?

WinISD's response graph/chart wasn't all that good whit the specs you gave me to use...
well trixter messed up sayin the port was 3.5 and change it back to 6.5 with the port up against the back wall but since i didnt want it against the back wall i gave it another inch in length to keep the tuning...and to Jmac i dont know if u realize but u have to fight for every bit of airspave u can get from a reg cab...longer port, less airspace...do yall think i should flare the end of the port... i know it would require a lot of snading but do u think it would help...the pprt noise is not real bad til the low notes and it get real fwooppy soundin...other than that i'm pretty satisfied with it...maybe one of these days i'll get a trunk :thumbsupw

DBfan187
07-17-2004, 02:13 AM
well trixter messed up sayin the port was 3.5 and change it back to 6.5 with the port up against the back wall but since i didnt want it against the back wall i gave it another inch in length to keep the tuning...and to Jmac i dont know if u realize but u have to fight for every bit of airspave u can get from a reg cab...longer port, less airspace...do yall think i should flare the end of the port... i know it would require a lot of snading but do u think it would help...the pprt noise is not real bad til the low notes and it get real fwooppy soundin...other than that i'm pretty satisfied with it...maybe one of these days i'll get a trunk :thumbsupw
Get a utility knife(razor blade) and cut the corners off the ports then sand it down to smooth. Much easier.

DBfan187
07-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Can you please list ...

Outer dimensions of enclosure
Model of subs (Specs if you have them)
Brace dimensions or displacement if it's already been calculated
Where the port is located

Pics would be a great help
Sony 10" P5's

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=3867&password=5ffd30f372207e24ef4e26901296371d&sort=1&cat=all&page=1

here's box dimensions (external)

height.....................14"
length.....................56"
top depth...............5 3/4"
bottom depth..........8 1/4"
correction on airspace as well.......its 2.16....sorry

T/S parameters
impedance..............4 ohms
d(mm)....................217
d(inch)....................8.5
Rdc(ohm sign).........2.4
Fs(Hz).....................29.7
Qts........................0.45
Qes.........................0.48
Qms........................6.62
Vas(Lit.).................36.6
Vas(Cu.ft)................1.29
Mms(g).....................149.2
Lvc(mH)......................0.9
Xmax(mm)..................7.9
Xmax(inch)................0.3
BL(Tm).......................11.8

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 02:22 AM
thanx db, didnt feel like lookin that **** up again

BIG_SUPERMAN72
07-17-2004, 02:25 AM
lol sonys. "MY Sonys will own ur ****. " thats what every sony p5 owner says. Til they hear someone who pushes 500 watts into ANY SUB.

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 02:29 AM
lol sonys. "MY Sonys will own ur ****. " thats what every sony p5 owner says. Til they hear someone who pushes 500 watts into ANY SUB.
<----never did say that, thank u, and good bye

175 a piece Jmac

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 02:38 AM
yea its coming out of the top of box exactly in the middle of the cab

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 02:45 AM
is there really any thing i can do to help get rid of the port noise...tommorrow i plan on gettin busy with the sand paper...but i can go ahead and tell ya, there is absolutley no way i can change the port...it was rubber malleted in to that top piece with wood glue sandwiched between it, wood filler, and screws holdin the port walls together...oh yea and caulk...lol...i'm not a hard person to please so for rite now i'm satisfied with it...this box was really just to hold me over till i got some better equipment, but there's no tellin how long that'll be

BIG_SUPERMAN72
07-17-2004, 02:52 AM
omg. nevermind.. im the ******* remeber that.

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Hmmm ... What I would've done would be to put it on the passenger side (further away, port noise = less audible) up against the side wall ... Next, I'd make the port larger (4.25" x 3.75") and curve it inside the enclosure ... This is just what I would've done ... Doing this, you'd be looking at a 1 dB increase over basically the entire spectrum and less port noise ... BBP6 also projects better power handling but I don't know why ...

Things you can do to remedy this ...

1) Round and sand the edges ...
2) If you're really desperate, stuff the port with polyfill, a shirt, or whatever you've got ...
1 db means absolutely nothin to me so i really dont think i'll do any thing about port size...ima try and get rid of some port noise is all i'm after...do u think taking a router around the outer edge would work well (better than sanding?)
and on 2) poly fill in port..never heard od such and i guess by shirt u mean sealing it completelt..lol

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 03:27 AM
which do u think would work best sand the inside of the top of the port of using a router...me personally i'm likin the router idea...ahhhh gotta love powertools

pj_chevy03
07-17-2004, 03:06 PM
i got a file out, rouded it, and then sanded it smooth with some 220 grit sandpaper..it help the port noise a little bit but i think i'ma gonna get the router out sometime...