PDA

View Full Version : Non-magnet speakers (PPI) any good/better?

TheBoyWonder916
07-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Im considering some Percision Power speakers for my car. As you may know they dont use magnets. And the crossovers they use are really small. Anyone want to give me some info on speakers without magnets and their small crossovers? Thanks

squeak9798
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry.....I have no idea what you are talking about. If they don't use magnets, what do they use? Links to these products? Every speaker I know of (other than servo driven units) use magnets.

probmxstyle
07-16-2004, 12:10 PM
They use magnets, there neodymium instead of your run of the mill mags.

Berry47
07-17-2004, 02:44 AM
Without a magnet you have no woofer.

adam71
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
They use magnets, there neodymium instead of your run of the mill mags.

Neodymium has been around car audio for a long time.

somekook
07-19-2004, 12:32 AM
funny this thread should come up, im thinking about building a woofer with neodymium mags. why dont they use them more often? i think they have a low tolerance for high temperatures. theyre strong as hell though.

supa_c
07-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Diamond uses them in their higher end subs

squeak9798
07-19-2004, 12:49 AM
why dont they use them more often? .

Most companies don't use them because the average consumer doesn't understand how strong the little beasts can be. "Wow, look at how small the magnet is on that woofer. It won't be able to hit good at all" would usually be the general observation. The average consumer thinks a large magnet means the sub is better and will play louder.

IIRC, Dan Wiggins mentioned in a thread over on SIN that the back end of the Brahma could be a lot smaller than what it is, but it just wouldn't have the same "Wow" factor that the current motor does, and he didn't want consumers to doubt it's capabilities because of a smaller motor.