PDA

View Full Version : Need technical opinions

Nikuk
07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
i've got a few old Vega Vega 124's sitting in the basement... girlfriend wants a setup for her Alero... not a whole lot of room (her trunk is like her mobile closet).

Besides the cosmetics, whats everyones opinion of an isobaric? its easy enough to setup (seeing as i have two spare subs). I know i'll lose a couple dB's, but i'm more concerned about driver longevity and decent sq.... lemme hear from you experts plz...

2- CV Vega 124's / Hifonics Brutus 700wrms@2ohms / 1.25^ft tuned to 33hz.

Thanks
Nick

*edit* - i know the requirments for the box... i just wanna know if anyone's done it and their impressions

ramos
07-15-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm assuming your talking about a push pull configuration. Just remember to reverse the polarity of one of the subs. Used to do it way back when all the time. Sounds pretty good, god sq, as you know you loose a couple of db. But with the amount of power your talking about you should be able to overcome it. THe reason you don't see them much now a days is with the newer subs being designed for such small enclosures. There isn't really any benefit to it. :)

Nikuk
07-15-2004, 02:00 PM
yeppers, clamshell/push-pull with a 3/4" mdf ring between the subs and reverse polarity.

the only reason i was considering it is exactly because i cant take up alot of room in her trunk and I used to have this setup in 4cubes in my car... but that wont fly in hers.

now, these vega's arent exactly HUGE excursion drivers, do i need the spacer in between? the stupid 'double bump' suspension on these concern me a little.... :uhoh:

Nikuk
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
BBP6 lists Xmax as 19.05 mm :confused:

19.0 per CV too.
hence my concern. even though they'll be wired out of phase, i should still throw in a spacer ring... yes? better to err on the safe side?
its going to be a pain to cut without a router... lol

Nikuk
07-15-2004, 02:40 PM
by the way Jmac, ordered up that program too. thanks. WinISD says this isobaric setup tuned to 38hz would pickup 6.8 dBs or something ungodly like that. i'm kinda doubting it... lol.