PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Hex not sounding up to par.

korndawg
07-13-2004, 10:41 PM
After installing my Diamond Hex S600's in the doors of my Grand Am, and listening to them with my subs off, I know that they are not sounding NEARLY as well as they should. Tweeters are awesome, but the Midrange is virtually non existant. It pretty much sounds like sh*t. I have yet to install my dynamat, but I'm not sure that'll make that huge of a difference. I have a PG 600.2 powering them and an Alpine 9835 HU. Everything on the EQ is set flat and have not yet messed with the crossover settings on the HU. What are your suggestions? I'm a noobie here!

taylor
07-14-2004, 12:45 AM
sound deaden behind them and run the speakers off of an amp, head unit power is ****** and dirty power....

korndawg
07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Will be the dynamat here very soon. The components are powered by an amp - a PG Ti600.2.

m1122
07-14-2004, 01:13 AM
what are the settings on ur amp at. make sure its on high pass and cross it over between 80-100. when u say " Everything on the EQ is set flat and have not yet messed with the crossover settings on the HU"....... do u mean u have a separate eq or r u reffereing to the amp settings????? but yeah try to keep ur hu settings flat.

3.5Max6spd
07-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Korndawg from experience, the sound deadning should help the mids sound better, but I've seen best results from those when crossover 100hz/125hz, let the subs handle the rest

nitsuj
07-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Just a thought.

Diamond Audio likes to put a sticker on the back of the magnet of the mids and subs to protect their vent holes during shipping.

Make sure you have removed that.

korndawg
07-14-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm hoping to get the dynamat installed tonite or tomorrow. As far as my amp settings are, well, on the Config Switch, it is set to Full Range. Crossover frequency is set at about 50HZ. As far as the HU, it has its own crossover settings that I can adjust, but I haven't touched it.

Redford
07-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Set it to HPF and cross it at at least 60 Hz. I think I'd personally just use the headunit's crossover as its digital, rather than analog and therefore easier to set.

korndawg
07-14-2004, 05:36 PM
If I use the HUs crossover, does it override the amps crossover?

MrBill2U
07-16-2004, 12:51 PM
No, you should turn off the amps crossover if you use your HU's xover. I would check the phase on your mids, get sound dampening in and make sure you do not have any air leaks around your mids. If mids are out of phase they cancel each other out real bad. A good way to test is to just use your balance knob. If you set it to one side and it gets louder than it was in the center they are wired out of phase.
I just fabbed myself a set of aluminum speaker plates because the flimsy wood ones my local boom shop put in there are just way too weak. Yes when I pulled my mids out of the door I found that the installer had mounted the mids with the "Remove this film before use" sticker firmly attached to the back (and a little melted), so do not trust that the installer had the presence of mind to check those for you.