PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out a vented box with 'glass

EFFENDI
07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
whats crackin everyone, well i am close to completing construction of my enclosure for the two monster Brahma 15"s (i will have some pics up here soon)

anyways,
i have a basic vented box with the rectangle port in the middle front face of the box between the subs, hoever i want to smooth out the appearance of the port, instead of having it just come up flush with the front of the box, i want to smooth it out with fiberglass or some other material. my basic desire to do this is rooted in aesthetics and to hopefully minimize port whistling. do any of you think this is a good idea, and if so what technique should i use. basically i just want it to come out of the box and end up rounded/molded/flared into the front face of the box.

TIA for your help

Jesse98
07-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Id just use a router and round off the edges.

squeak9798
07-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Id just use a router and round off the edges.

x2

You definitely don't want to do anything that will add any kind of length to the port as that will change the tuning.

ramos
07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Yep, I'm with them. Router and a round over bit will do the trick. Adding mat could change your tuning if you have it inside the port. :)

EFFENDI
07-13-2004, 03:58 AM
router would change the port dimensions also, no? i figured that all into the equation. i can afford to add length to the port, the deeper the tuning frequency the better, however i dont want to remove any material since there is a slight gap of 3/4". the 'glass acutally wouldnt be inside of the port, just on an edge thhat meets the front panel of the enclosure. i was thinking of getting a 1.5" diameter dowel and cut into a quarter circle and mold into the edge and glass like 2-3 layers of mat over it and sand it down pretty tight. what do you think? i dont have access or the finance to spend on a router so it kind of eliminates that option. plus i already have all the 'glassin materials.

supa_c
07-13-2004, 04:09 AM
yeah were broke. all the money is gone!

EFFENDI
07-13-2004, 04:20 AM
in case you dont know me and supa_c are brothers, im the elder, and reppin adire to the fullest as you prolly noticed

supa_c
07-13-2004, 04:51 AM
He jacked my avatar!
punk

ramos
07-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Rounding over the egde wouldn't change the length just the port mouth shape. You just need to round it over. :)

Jesse98
07-13-2004, 11:12 AM
still think you should just round the edges, if you cant you cant, I think it look funny too with fiberglass just around the ports, if you must use a rasp (thats what I had to do to inside of my box, didnt have any bits for my router and didnt feel like going to town to buy one).

EFFENDI
07-14-2004, 04:14 PM
well we'll see how it looks once its assembled. then ill decide what to do. basically i have the fiberglass and im going to incorporate it into the box since i am molding it to the side panels of the interior in my suburban. I think it would have a much cleaner look. but like i said there is a 90o gap between the panels that needs to be filled, i dont have any excesss material that i can remove. ill try and take some pictures and post them up here if i can get my digicam working. thanks for the suggestions.