PDA

View Full Version : body filler on sub enclosure

VoTran24
07-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Would it be okay to use body filler on a sealed box enclosure? I made a wedge shaped enclosure so there are a couple of parts on the exterior that needs to be filled in. Would body filler crack from the subwoofer?

dbornotdb
07-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Are you using it to help seal up gaps from crooked cuts or is it just cosmetic?

If it is to seal up bad cuts and gaps, use fiberglass first.

If it is cosmetic, use it just like you would on a car or something. In small amounts to lower the risk of cracks.

Mark_ab
07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
No, it won't crack unless your enclosure is 3/8" particle board. Bondo can hold up to the vibrations from your car cruising over potholes and railroad tracks, it'll handle your sub.

ramos
07-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Just don't use it for anything but cosmetics. Bondo isn't strong enough for anything structuarlly. :)

VoTran24
07-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys. its just for the exterior of the enclosure.

ramos
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Then you should be fine. :)

jleecong
07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Great stuff for cosmetic work.. dries really fast and very easy to sand. I use it when I'm prepping boxes that are going to be painted instead of carpeted.

LoneRanger
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Just don't use it for anything but cosmetics. Bondo isn't strong enough for anything structuarlly. :)

Bondo can be used for anything from body work to drywall spackle. One of these days, I'm going to build an entire enclosure out of that green bondo gel (Gnome Style, Baby) just to prove you wrong :)

Mark_ab
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
That would be a lot of money to prove an old man wrong :)

ramos
07-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Bondo can be used for anything from body work to drywall spackle. One of these days, I'm going to build an entire enclosure out of that green bondo gel (Gnome Style, Baby) just to prove you wrong :)

Don't prove me wrong with reinforced body filler / plastic filler / kitty hair / bondo hair. Prove me wrong with good old plain Jane filler. No reinforcment at all. Build a house and let me play the role of the big bad wolf :D I'll huff and puff and fart your house down. :D :)