PDA

View Full Version : box sealing

pj_chevy03
07-10-2004, 03:56 PM
o.k 3 simple questions about box building
1. what is the best type of liquid nails to use to hold box together
2. what are the best size/thread screws to use
3. what is the best type of caulk to use to seal the box's edges in the inside of the box

ss3079
07-10-2004, 04:04 PM
o.k 3 simple questions about box building
1. what is the best type of liquid nails to use to hold box together
2. what are the best size/thread screws to use
3. what is the best type of caulk to use to seal the box's edges in the inside of the box

1. Carpenters/wood glue. Cheaper, works fine. Glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.
2. Coarse threaded drywall screws seem to be the screw of choice. Length will depend on the size of the wood you're using ... probably around 1 1/2 or a little larger.
3. White **** that comes in a tube is fine. Can't think of a brand off the top of my head ... maybe GE or something. Doesn't really matter. Fiberglass resin will also work.

- Steve

pj_chevy03
07-10-2004, 04:15 PM
wood glue...like elmers wood glue????? i thought liquid nails was better for box building...please clarify

Moe Lester
07-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Elmers wood glue would be fine, I prefer to use titebond wood glue.

ghs_wrestler189
07-10-2004, 04:28 PM
I heard that the fumes from caulk was bad on the sub, so I recommend fiberglass resin for the inside.

ss3079
07-10-2004, 04:36 PM
wood glue...like elmers wood glue????? i thought liquid nails was better for box building...please clarify

Wood glue > Liquid Nails ... in my opinion.

- Steve

loserpunk
07-10-2004, 04:39 PM
i perfer titebond woodglue as well....over anything

as far as fumes go.....if you let your box dry for a day or two(like it should to have the glue and chauk set correctly)...the fumes are no longer there....but i'm not sure if they themselves would harm a sub anyways

ss3079
07-10-2004, 04:40 PM
I've heard they had the possibility of messing up a certain type of surround.

Be careful with anything that smells I guess ... as mentioned above, let it air out.

- Steve

loserpunk
07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
I've heard they had the possibility of messing up a certain type of surround.

Be careful with anything that smells

- Steve

well i totally agree w/ the second part there :thumbsup

and i've never heard of it messed w/ surronds....something to look out for

ss3079
07-10-2004, 04:45 PM
I thought I was warned with my old ****-cone SE's, but that was quite a while ago ... so I forget :p

- Steve

loserpunk
07-10-2004, 04:53 PM
I thought I was warned with my old ****-cone SE's, but that was quite a while ago ... so I forget :p

- Steve

do those use the same surround as anything they have made since then....if it is.....then i could have trouble w/ every series from RE since then :(

ss3079
07-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Not sure.

People have been sealing the inside of their boxes with caulking for a long time and I've only seen a couple people with messed up surrounds. Should be fine.

- Steve

LBX2G
07-10-2004, 05:04 PM
use elmer wood gule to assemble the then use white lightning to seat the box. I work for a wood butcher (he knows all about wood) and if u are really **** about ur box i could ask him.

BIG_SUPERMAN72
07-11-2004, 02:04 PM
liquid nails own... I dunno. Loserpunk makes nice boxes so use what he uses..

JORDAN my deck broke.. the output doesnt reach the speakers or something... its lame. Best buy sent it in to be fixed. I wanna just get my money back. And get a pioneer 7600 or a alpine deck...

Nikuk
07-13-2004, 04:30 PM
there are specific brands that recommend not using 'caulk or similar sealing agents' other then wood glue unless the stuff is given time to cure. (only like 24 hours). I know Visonik does and i believe MTX used to mention it ( a few years ago). Same with spray glue for carpeting. so its really no biggie. Most of us usually have the box ready before we get the driver anyhow...

helotaxi
07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
The volatile compound in silicone caulk will eat most foam surrounds. If I need to seal a box cause I did a bad job building I use hot glue.