PDA

View Full Version : Loud but good?

HHawk
07-08-2004, 06:21 PM
If you guys had the choice, what would you recommend?

Please keep in mind that my previous 2 component sets were CDT Audio ES-620 and I don't want less quality.

What would you recommend for loud playing component sets without sacrificing audio quality?
It needs to withstand a SoundStream Tarantula 500/4 (4x125W RMS at 4 Ohms or 4x250W RMS at 2 Ohms).

I don't mind speakers playing at 2 Ohms.

So what would you recommend?

squeak9798
07-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Boston Acoutics Pro6.5

Alpine CDA-9815
07-08-2004, 11:13 PM
I will also suggest the Boston Acoustic 6.5 Pros... I got them and love them. They get very loud and they don't sacrifice SQ while doing so, very accruate/clear/loud/smooth component set. :thumbsup

HHawk
07-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Yeah I know these speakers, some say they are harsh. But it depends on your install and EQ right?

Also they play on 3 Ohms rigt? Meaning they will get some extra power from the Tarantula, say 175W RMS per side. Will they be able to handle that? Cause it says on their site: Recommended Amplifier Power
20-400 watts; does that mean 20-400W RMS per side or per pair?

Thanks.

squeak9798
07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
does that mean 20-400W RMS per side or per pair?

Thanks.

400w RMS per side :D I had a 800w RMS amp (400w per side) and they handled it like a champ. With the power I was running, at extremely high volumes the tweet would get harsh.....but during normal listening it wasn't bad at all.

HHawk
07-12-2004, 05:37 AM
LOL. You serious? **** powerful components then! Thnx. for your input. Much appreciated.

squeak9798
07-12-2004, 11:05 AM
LOL. You serious?

Yup :) I had an Eclipse 34230 running my BA Pro6.5 comp set. Got so loud it could pop your ears ;)

m1122
07-12-2004, 01:19 PM
why don't you try for a 3-way setup??? dyna 340 or 360. both handle 200 rms

3.5Max6spd
07-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Diamond Hex's ....if you like their sound....of course with a silk tweet

Rainbow Profi Vanadiums- would be my choice:) my dealer is running 330rms per side and they rock, 100 rms and up they're lovely

My dealer has also done a few Fusion Jonah Lomus component installs lately and I've been very impressed- Fusion is doing big things as of late- see If you can get someone to audition a set- no BS they're pretty sweet

The Eurosports are very nice and the tweet is very natural- so I think Boston Pros or Focal Utopias would be too harsh for your taste and maybe even feel like a downgrade- having heard all of'm its just my opinion

HHawk
07-13-2004, 05:28 AM
3.5Max6spd:

CS 265 Profi Vanadium; are that these speakers? http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=2&pro=1&gru=1&lin=3

I already emailed them, they answered me back that they were reviewed in last month's Car & Hifi magazine (German magazine) and they beat the more expensive Focal's, DLS and MB Quart component sets. They sell for 500 Euro's a set. But on their website, it says 120W RMS nominal power. So I take it they are underrated? Or am I looking at the wrong speakers here?

On the other hand; I can get my hands on Boston Pro 6.5 for 340 Euro's a set and they can handle a lot of power, secondly they work on 3 Ohms, so my amplifier will be able to deliver more power to them... Which is good in my opinion. But I am worried about the fact you saying it might be a downgrade for me...

Well I think it's best to wait for CDT Audio Sweden for an answer about my speakers, maybe they can repair them. I already sent them the package with the 4 speakers to their HQ over there and hopefully they can be fixed or replaced.

On another note; take a look at this pic: http://www.vanderlingen.nl/whiteblock.jpg
Could it be that my kick-/midbass woofers got damaged cause of that white block? Or is that out of the question? And are those easily replaced at a professional car audio shop?

Let me know... Thanks.

3.5Max6spd
07-13-2004, 07:43 PM
My friend, I envy that you are in Europe, because you can probably get a better price on Rainbow's than here in the US- I quite honestly believe Rainbow (Geman) and Focal(French) make the best components money can buy- I like the fact that Rainbow tweets are warmer than the more "in your face" often labeled as harsh sound of the Focals though- CDT being 3rd on mylist- I like the HD's and Eurosports

Perhaps you'd get a kick out of this- Rainbow's second from lowest line beat the focal Utopias in Spains IASCA....
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/news.php?lan=2

DO NOT worry about power!!! These speakers are competition/audiophile grade , they will handle the Tarantulas power actually quite perfectly- specially a top notch Soundstream amp that puts out very clean power-

If you can fix the Euro's, great....If not, and you plan on buying a set- any set of Rainbows beginning from the Soundline and up wont disappoint, you could probably find a dealer or someone to audition a set out there- Good luck:)

helotaxi
07-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Try setting the gains correctly and using the volume knob judicously. That will allow most any good component set to handle the power of that amp. Clip the amp and you will toast any comp set. Buy what you like the sound of and set the whole thing up responsibly and you will be fine.

HHawk
07-14-2004, 06:51 AM
@ 3.5Max6Spd

Thanks for your input mate. It's really apreciated.

I personally dislike Focals, long story. The Rainbows however are also on my list of possible replacements. But I was a little concerned about the powerratings.

Cause my CDT ES-620 also were rated at 150W RMS and they also got blown, not sure what the exact reason is, but I suspect it was caused by the crossovers... ( see this pic: http://www.vanderlingen.nl/whiteblock.jpg )

Anyways I sincerly hope they can be repaired or something, cause otherwise I have to buy 2 new component sets. And currently, after your comments, I am going to have to make a decision between the Rainbow series (both Profi lines) or the Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5's. The neat thing about the BA Pro 6.5's are they run on 3 Ohms, so they will get more power, where the Rainbow series work on 4 Ohms.

3.5Max6spd
07-14-2004, 09:41 AM
that looks like its definitly fixable......Are you still under warranty with CDT?

Stuff like that happens I guess, did you have your gains on the SS remotly high?

BTW, I 've heard Boston Pros w/ 85 rms and the tweets got pretty annoying for my particular taste- perhaps you'd like'm, thats why I suggest to take a listen to the Rainbows, and the Bostons for that matter before spending money

HHawk
07-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Well I shipped them to CDT Europe in Sweden at least the speakers and I emailed CDT Audio USA about the crossovers; asking them if I can get the white blocks (resistors?) replaced at a professional car hifi dealer...

I take your word on the BA's then. Also I have my interest in 2 different brands as well, dunno how they compare with the Rainbows, cause they aren't available over here in the Netherlands.

Oz Audio 180 CS series and Image Dynamics CXS62 (2 ohm version).

Do you have any experience with these 2 brands? Or should I stick with the Rainbows in case I would need component sets?

Thanks again for your help.

HHawk
07-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Okay CDT's are permantly damaged... Bah.

Well I think I am going with the Rainbows or with the BA's... With the Rainbows I can only purchase one set at a time, due to my limitation of cash. With the BA's I would be able to purchase 2 sets at once.

What would you do (or do I already know the answer to this question)?

Also one more thing, when I do go for the Rainbows, 1 set at a time option, how good are the CS 275.27 Power compared to the Vanadium. Or are the Vanadiums good enough for me? Thanks again.

3.5Max6spd
07-19-2004, 01:43 PM
best bet would be to go listen to them......My Arcs ACS's (rainbows) have the same tweet as the Profi and Contour line- veryfied this on Sat when I installed my brothers 4" Contours comps

My advise, to be honest, rears have very little importance in my book- they're just there for rear fill- in that perspective get the best you can up front, and when money allows it, match your rears

The Powerline is new, i have not come across them, but looking at the drivers, they have every indication of proving strong mid bass performance and power handling to boot-
If I was looking into components, I'd try them out- I know what to expect from the tweets already, even stronger mids are welcome