PDA

View Full Version : Tricky box situation- need some advice - kinda long

Ne1
07-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Ok, I am getting this sub (no stats yet, but heres the pic) ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5706549738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
. The car I am putting it in is a 1996 328is. I went to a stereo shop, for some sound deadener and was talking to them about some ideas on the box, because I plan on building my own. They recomended a ported enclosure, with the rear speakers removed and the ports routed up thru those exsisting holes. I have had this type of set up done before on another car, but in bandpass, and I must say, it did work well, but hte question is how.... my trunk looks like this (pardon the cheesy ascii drawing....p.s, the spaces wouldn't render out right, so I had to use dots, just ignore them)

---------------------------------------------------------
\__/ ................................................. \__/

---------\............................................/-----------
............ \......................................../
..............|................................... ....|
..............|................................... ....|
---------------------------------------------------------

So as you can see, the speakers are above the wheel wells, so if I built a square box, that would obviously not work, since the ports would be no where near the old speakers, I was thinking about a box along these lines....

-----------------------------------------------------
|................................................. ................|
|................................................. ................|
-------..............................................----------
........|......................................... ....|
--------------------------------------

but that would be a bit complex, so I thought of this as well...

-------------------------------------------------------
\................................................. ................./
.\................................................ ................/
...\.............................................. .............../
....\............................................. ............./
.....\___________________________/
Well, its a little off center, but you get the point. With both of those I could do a port, but would it work? And how would that sub sound in that box, my measure ments are 30w about 15 deep (can be deeper at the bottom if need be) and about 15 tall, so its going to be a good, what, 2 cubic feet at least, before the port calculations come into play...
I will probably have gnomeaudio draw me up the plans, just wanted to get some advice before I have hime draw up something.
Any thoughts?

Ne1
07-07-2004, 10:28 AM
I bump thee to the top!

ramos
07-07-2004, 10:46 AM
You might need a little more space, I don't really know though. I haven't seen the specs on those specific subs. But your on the right track. Actually I think your second drawing would be the easiest to accomplish as well as calculate accurately. I would put the sub in the front ( towards the rear bumper) and run the port(s) out the top. :)

Ne1
07-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, just tracked down some specs on the sub on google, heres what I have....
For ported the reccomended encloser size is 2.0 ft3, qtc n/a, f3=28hz,f10=23hz, power handling 200 watts ( I figured 1000 was bs) fb 32hz, and port size of (1) 4x15. Does this mean I could go 2 ports of 2x7.5? Or should I just stick with the one?
Thanks tho, I think I will go with the second box, like you said, its simpler, and for the most part, simpler = less prone to problems!

helotaxi
07-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about trying 1) to line the ports up with the rear speaker holes or 2) even firing the ports out of the top of the box. Face the ports and the subs to the rear of the car. Remove the rear speakers. The bass will vent through those holes regardless of the aiming of the ports. Just make sure that you leave a path for the air to move to the rear speaker holes and it will get there. My setup is this way and it works great.

Ne1
07-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh.....ok cool, a lot simpler than I was thinking it would be. In that case, that will free up a lot of ideas. Thanks!

Jesse98
07-08-2004, 12:22 PM
please dont buy that woofer, I love Diamond Audio, but you can get a new CM3 (they made them now instead of the one you are looking at) that runs 500w rms for $100 brand new. You must have one sealed off trunk for it to be worth trying to pipe the ports like you are.
here are some pics of my CM3's
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse98/ps2dash_011.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse98/ps2dash_012.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse98/ps2dash_009.jpg
also look at
http://www.diamondaudio.com/MobileAudio/index.cfm?page=Subwoofers