PDA

View Full Version : Messed up enclosure???

BBB
07-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I paid a good bit of money to have a full install done, but I question the sealed enclosure that they built. I have a pair of 10w6v2's, JL recommeds .625 cu. ft. internal airspace per sub. So, simple enough, I need a box with 1.25 cu. ft. of airspace.

After crunching the numbers, the volume of the box they built comes to 1.53+ cu. ft. The only thing I did not calculate is bracing, but it seems .28 cu. ft. of bracing is unlikely?

The other concern I have is that it seems they drilled a small hole for the speaker wire into the side of the box rather than using a terminal???

Is this a horror show, or does this seem acceptable. I'm pretty new to this, but I think I know the answer. I'm looking for confirmation before I ask them to do it over.

BiaBia
07-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Perfectly Acceptable. If you're **** about sound coming out of the hole you drilled for the wires, stick a bit of glue in there or liquid nails to stop that. Also, depending on the type of material you used on the box, would determine if bracing is needed. Most people use 3/4 MDF, and if you did, no bracing should be required as long as you put enough nails and glue to seal that box up.

Good luck ;)

ss3079
07-03-2004, 11:07 PM
.28ft^3 is highly unlikely for bracing in that small of enclosure. I don't think you could come up with that even if you included driver displacement. You did the math with the interior dimensions of the box, correct?

JL's recommendation is just that, a recommendation. However, JL is pretty dead on with what they recommend. If you like the way they sound in the larger box, then there you go :)

A bunch of us drill a hole in our boxes in order to run the wire out of the box. It's common and won't hurt the enclosure. Make sure they sealed the hole up with silicone or some sealant, or used a rubber boot. The last thing you want is a leaky box. All joints can be sealed with silicone/caulking from the inside to ensure that it is leakproof.

- Steve :)

BBB
07-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I did the math using the internal dimensions, and accounted for driver displacement. I don't know how much bracing to calculate for, because I have not looked inside.

The subs sound good, but I have no comparison. I can't easily compare it with the sound at the recommended enclosure size. Also, I have read that if the air space is wrong, the driver could be damaged. Is this a concern with a discrepency of this size?

Sounds like the hole is ok, I'll seal it up.

Moe Lester
07-03-2004, 11:47 PM
It would be my guess that the only thing inside the box is a piece of MDF seperating the 2 chambers. The thing is, with a larger sealed enclosure, your power handling is going to go down a bit. What amp do you have pushing these subs?

BBB
07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
JL 1000/1 with the gain turned down pretty low. Power handling is 400 per sub.

LoneRanger
07-04-2004, 01:29 AM
dub six's are very forgiving subwoofers. you can put them in just about any enclosure and they won't sound awful. trust me when i say that .2 cubic feet isn't going to make a huge difference in the way the driver sounds. if you don't like the way your current box sounds, try a ported enclosure. some people (including myself) just cannot be satisfied with a sealed box. as far as i can see, they didn't do you any wrong. they may have scrimped a bit by not putting a nice shiny cup terminal on there for you, but its nothing to file a lawsuit over.

finally, a small piece of advice: do your own installs. if you don't have the skills to install it yourself, take a little time out of your day and read this forum. believe it or not, under all the bullshit, there's actually some useful information to be found. you'll be much more proud of the end result, and when people pay you compliments on the way your system sounds, they're actually complimenting you and not the fellas at the local audio shop :)